Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    us
    Sep 2004
    Massachusetts
    Minelab Explorer II
    4 times
    Colonial-Era hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: 1st GW Inagural Button!!!! (1789)

That is so awesome. Killer find for sure. I have been metal detecting twice as long as you've been alive and I have yet to become one of the chosen few to find a GW button.

Congrats on the well deserved Banner find...

You may want to go back to that house

Good luck !!

Brian in MA

us
    May 2010
    newport vermont
    whites xlt minelab explorer se pro

you got me vote
    vermont hillbilly

Congrats on a super find and whatever you did to it, looks great! Not sure if anybody said what variety yet but it looks like the 63 marks type which would be Albert's WI 12C (WHB18) variety. Was hoping to count 72 marks, but just could not add up the extras

Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

Quote Originally Posted by prolab69
    Quote Originally Posted by metaldetector101
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Searcher

Well as a Brit all I can say about that Button is BANNER super find

It doe's look like there might be more detail hidding underneath the crud, I would have that looked at by a professional restorer

SS
    A Professional Restorer, would tell if it was worth it, and how much it would cost, sometimes things are better cleaned, sometimes not

SS
    any idea how much that may cost?
    I wouldnt touch it or restore it at all, ...just my opinion....that is an awesome find, congrats
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

Fantastic find of a lifetime!!!
    Congrats on making BANNER. Well deserved.
    -MM-
    *Oldest coin-1775 Spanish 1 real *Oldest U.S. silver-1833 Capped Bust Half Dime *Best coin - 1945 GOLD 2 1/2 peso *Best Civil War finds:*NC officers belt buckle *CSN Confederate Navy Officer button

umrgolf

Congrats on the banner That is an outstanding button

DIG, RECOVER, PRESERVE...THE SCOURGE OF THE DIRT!

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
    174 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (11)

Congratulations on a button that is still on the "Wanted" list for me! Its in pretty dang good shape too!

ad
    Mar 2009
    WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
    570 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (3)

nice Button ... congrats on the banner !
      No matter how long the storm, the sun always shines again between the clouds ...... 

us
    metaldetector101

May 2009
    Eastern PA
    Whites Spectra V3i
    8 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ
    Congrats on a super find and whatever you did to it, looks great! Not sure if anybody said what variety yet but it looks like the 63 marks type which would be Albert's WI 12C (WHB18) variety. Was hoping to count 72 marks, but just could not add up the extras

Don
    So how much is it worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Searcher

Well as a Brit all I can say about that Button is BANNER super find

It doe's look like there might be more detail hidding underneath the crud, I would have that looked at by a professional restorer

SS
    any idea how much that may cost?

I gather all this was before you posted the cleaned pic? Because that's as good as the button will ever get. Anything done now will make it worse. Just leave it as is. It even looks like it has a little color left, and over time the patina will start to slightly come back and highlight it. But that means you do nothing, no more attempts at cleaning, and nothing put on to coat it.

Don
    So how much is it worth?

Hard to say, because it's whatever someone would pay. Just think of it as being worth a new detector.... but I think it would be a very bad idea to let the money influence you and think about selling it. It very well might be the best thing you ever find so why not keep it. And free money goes very fast! In 10 years from now no matter how many hundreds it would be sold for, it would all be long gone, and so would the button. It will always be worth some money so just look at it as savings.

us
    Apr 2009
    Maryland
    Minelab CTX3030
    45 times
    Relic Hunting

Great Find..... Congrats on the BANNER!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch

Don
    So how much is it worth?

Hard to say, because it's whatever someone would pay. Just think of it as being worth a new detector.... but I think it would be a very bad idea to let the money influence you and think about selling it. It very well might be the best thing you ever find so why not keep it. And free money goes very fast! In 10 years from now no matter how many hundreds it would be sold for, it would all be long gone, and so would the button. It will always be worth some money so just look at it as savings.
    Proper answer from IP, here is what I think, but agree with IP.

[/quote]
    So how much is it worth?
    [/quote]

It is in good shape compared to some others seen, best I can say for you on value is go to (google) auction sites and look for this particular variety and see what it went for, and consider if in better or worst shape. If none found on Stacks, Heritage or ebay, then perhaps a member here had the exact variety that sold and could give you an estimate. Or the easy answer would be, it is worth what a buyer will pay.

Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

us
    metaldetector101

May 2009
    Eastern PA
    Whites Spectra V3i
    8 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Don
    So how much is it worth?

i am not going to sell it but what is a ballpark guess?

Don
    So how much is it worth?

i am not going to sell it but what is a ballpark guess?

Well even the poor dug ones get a few hundred, and your button is better than that... so would think at least $500. I don't think it would get a $1,000, so my guess would be about $750 on a good day. But that's just my thoughts and others can see it quite different. (and it's only the folks who actually dish out the $$$ that count)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors