I found the good stuff

Wheresthegoodstuff

Feb 20, 2006
Coarsegold, CA
Hey everyone, don’t normally post over here much. Most the time our west coast finds don’t compare much to the older stuff you guys find back east and on the east coast. Well anyways I found something worth posting, so below is how I found it.

Last Friday I decided to take a half day off of work to do some detecting with a buddy. Another detecting buddy had tipped us off on a place to go check out, so we decided to meet there first. Well as luck would have it, there were construction workers on the scene working away, so we would need to find another spot. Luckily while I was driving to the first spot I saw another potential spot which was an empty lot. Honestly I usually don’t like hunting lots as they are usually pretty trashy with not much to show for it.

But since it was so close to the first spot we decided to check it out anyway. I hunted the first half hour or so with not much to show and then found what I thought was a token or silver quarter lying right on top of the ground. We must have wasted the next 10 or so minutes just trying to figure out what it was but it was pretty messed up.

So I kept on detecting and about 15 minutes later I hit what would usually be a find of the year for me. It hit like a half dollar on the E-Trac which to be honest I am really not used to seeing unless it is a deep sprinkler. Dug down about 4 inches to 5 inches and out popped a 1908 O Barber Half with a really worn Standing liberty quarter stuck to it. On the other side of the half there was a crescent shaped mark on it, so I had thought I had hit it with my shovel. It wasn’t till about 20 minutes later that I would learn that it wasn’t a shovel mark but where another coin had been stuck to it.
Barber Half.jpg
BarberStuck.jpg
Well after this I continued on knowing that I would be happy if that was all this lot produced. I mean having a barber half and a standing liberty quarter as my first silvers of 2011 was a very nice present. So I continued on detecting till I hit another half dollar/ silver dollar signal that was a bigger then a coin but was really singing on the E-Trac. I dug out a shovel full of dirt and was met with an eye full of dirty half dollar sized coins at the bottom of the 6 to 7 inch hole.
OMG.jpg
OMG2.jpg
OMG3.jpg
I called my buddy over and he couldn’t believe it, I mean we had read about finds like this but never thought we would see one for ourselves. I spent the next 10 minutes expanding the hole until I had uncovered about 50 coins in various conditions with many coins stuck to each other. But the real treat was that I could see a silver dollar mixed in. After moving a little more dirt I found the top of an old large milk bottle which I am pretty sure is what had held the cache of coins.
Aha.jpg
My buddy and I decided to expand the hole and found that it looked to be the remnants of a trash pit and found lots of pieces of bottles, ceramic and glass. We spent the next hour or so digging out the pit and didn’t find any more coins except for 2 firsts for detecting buddy that were near where the initial cache was found.

It started to get dark so we called it a day, it wouldn’t be till I got home that I would really know the full extent of what I had found. After I got home I had laid out before me 40 silver half dollars, 13 silver quarters, a foreign coin, a wheatie and a cc mint silver dollar.
NotCleanYet.jpg
It took me the next two days to get the cleaned up. A lot of the coins still have a pink stain to them which I believe is from the dirt of the trash pit. If anyone has any ideas on how to remove the pink staining let me know.
Wowsa.jpg
Anyways the final tally is:
1890 CC Morgan Silver Dollar
17 Barber Half Dollars: 1898O, 1899O, 1903, 1906D, 1906S, 2X 1906O, 1908, 2X 1908O, 1908S, 1909, 1909S, 1911, 1911S, 2X 1912S, 1914S
23 Walking Liberty Half Dollars: 2x 1917S, 1918S, 1920, 1920D, 4X 1920S, 3 X 1927,2X 1927S, 3X 1928, 1928S,4X 1929S,
5 Barber Quarters: 1901, 1907S, 1908D, 1912, 1916D
8 Standing Liberty Quarters: 6 no date, 192X, 1926
1917 Wheatie
And a 1916 Kopek Russian coin.

A couple of more coins were found by some other local detectorists. Hopefully they will swing by and post what they found.

Happy Hunting,
Wheresthegoodstuff

MorganCleanFront.jpg
BarberHalfs.jpg
WalkerHalfs.jpg
Quarters.jpg

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner find! The pictures tell the story, this is a dream find.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
I see three CA treasures on the Banner right now......and this will make 4 !!! :headbang: :hello2: :headbang:

Congratulations, Steven!!! What an awesome start to 2011!!

I think you will be hunting lots a whole "LOT" more now!! :laughing7:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
AMAZING! and beautiful photos ... what we DREAM about! Congrats!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

B A N N E R

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner for sure ! Major congrats on the silver cache !

HH
Mike

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet your glad you took off a half a day...... :hello2:

Great finds...a dream come true..... :headbang:

You get my vote for BANNER........... :hello2:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find :headbang: Banner all the way , your find proves you just don't know until you dig. Nice silver :thumbsup: Jim

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THAT is a cache BANNER for sure!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the great photos and story.
Congrats to you,
MM :hello2:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congradulations ! and welcome to the cache club ! Very exiting find ! It was nice you got to experience it with a hunting buddy ! Heck of a find ! Go find # 2 ! MaineRelic

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

must have been an extremely exciting find!!!

The other day I found some coins spread over 9 sq ft and it was a huge rush, and yours are SILVER!!!!

congrats

Cheers from Spain

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread