Fiance just lost her engagement ring in NYC Blizzard. Trying to find a metal det

MKEStyle

Greenie
Jan 27, 2011
Hello,

I got a hysterical call from my fiance this morning, she is in New York City with her family for a trip, she was supposed to fly out today. The blizzard has her trapped. She fell in 18" of snow and lost her ring.. she spent all night with her sister and her mother digging through an area about the size of a king sized bed. She is inconsolable and I am out several thousand dollars. Accidents happen, but I bought the ring when I was in better shape financially. I lost my job in December and I can't afford to do this again. Its not really the money that upsetting her, I think its the fact that I gave it to her.

Anyway, she is staying in a hotel in Manhattan - normally I would just say "forget it, its gone." but the city is buried under 19" of snow right now. She asked me about a metal detector. I have been wanting one since I was a kid - Im 39, and looking for an excuse to buy one. As we know, making a purchase in an emergency is never a good idea. You will always pay more. The thought crossed my mind that I could find out if there were any metal detector aficionados in NYC that might be up to help on a treasure hunt - for a fee of course. But the slightest potential of someone being shady and using this as an opportunity to steal a ring is something I just couldn't live with. I would rather someone find it randomly than it be stolen after it was lost.. maybe my logic isn't solid, but this is an emotional time.

So.. I told her to try to find a metal detector in the city for a couple hundred bucks and we could consider it my birthday present. I am doing fast and furious research trying to find one that has good reviews and can be purchased on site. The difference in online vs walk in price is painful.. but I did find a place called Metal Detector Distributors in Brooklyn and they seem to have a lot of options from super cheap to high end. I was looking at the Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2. I know this is probably a cheap product to true hobbyists and professionals but keep in mind, I am basically broke right now.

Do you guys think this would work? Do you have any other suggestions? I know this is silly and the odds of finding it are basically zero, but sometimes miracles happen. Her flight was canceled because of the weather. So she has a little time.

I would be most grateful for any guidance.

<edited for poor grammar and spelling>

Ben

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
Might want to speak with the owner of the store in Brooklyn and see if he may loan or rent your fiance a detector. Never know til you ask.
Best of luck and hope your fiance can find the ring.

OP
OP
M

MKEStyle

Greenie
Jan 27, 2011
Thanks. good idea.. I told her not to go in the store in a panic.. A less that scrupulous sales person would see a prime opportunity to sell her something she didnt need..

I will tell her to inquire about the rental though.. Thanks again

Ben

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hate to here about your fiance's fall. hope she wasn't hurt. I'm confident there are some t-net members nearby who can help you out.

Be extremely careful about revealing the location of the ring to someone and try to find a t-net member to help you out. If you haven't done so, drop down to the lost and found section and do a post and also in the individual state section. Best of luck to ya.

OP
OP
M

MKEStyle

Greenie
Jan 27, 2011
Thanks for the kind words and advice. I am not telling anyone the location without proper vetting first...Unfortunately thats what makes this tough.. I am 1000 miles away at my desk, and sending a strange guy to go meet my fiance and her sister just has "bad idea" written all over it.

I wish there were more time.. the place in brooklyn seems to have good customer reviews about the staff and owner.. I think im going to have her call him and just be honest and ask for his advice..

If anyone can comment on the best detector to get for this situation I would be grateful.. water resistant would be ideal but i thought it might be a good idea for her to tamp the snow down and compact it a bit first.. then sweep over it.. I wish I knew more about the technology.. I am trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can but nothing can top experience..

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever detector you choose

For maximum depth and sensitivity put it in all metal mode with no discrimination and sweep over an ever expanding area.

The ring probably slung off her finger as she fell and could have landed up to 20 feet away.

GG~

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How far is the location from Penn Station? I don't need directions at this point. I'm in NJ and if nobody steps up I will see if I can get in there tonight. I would take the train in to the city if I do it that is why I'm asking about Penn Station.

Has the area been plowed or shoveled? That may displace the ring.

Let me know.
NJ

OP
OP
M

MKEStyle

Greenie
Jan 27, 2011
Excellent theory, one I didnt consider.. It makes perfect sense.. the ring was loose, and the cold had shrunk her fingers even more. She slips, her arms fly out and the ring flies off, it would not be from where she landed.. she would have thrown it.. She needs to try to re-create the fall.. Very CSI.

Thanks!

Ben

OP
OP
M

MKEStyle

Greenie
Jan 27, 2011
N.J.THer said:
How far is the location from Penn Station? I don't need directions at this point. I'm in NJ and if nobody steps up I will see if I can get in there tonight. I would take the train in to the city if I do it that is why I'm asking about Penn Station.

Let me know.
NJ

Hi NJ. I am finding out about the plowed or shoveled. I believe she was on the sidewalk. She said is has been shoveled. Shes on East 62nd st.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MKEStyle said:
N.J.THer said:

Let me know.
NJ

Hi NJ. I am finding out about the plowed or shoveled. I believe she was on the sidewalk. She said is has been shoveled. Shes on East 62nd st.

Better then 50/50 chance it didn't land on the sidewalk. Check with local members here who might live close and are willing to give you some assistance. I bet you will find 1 or 2 who could help you..... :icon_thumright: They would be happy just to get out and hunt....

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ben,
Just spoke to the boss (my wife) we have someone coming to the house tonight to help out with a tile project we are doing. So I will not be able to go tonight.

I did remember hearing about a Ring Finder service on the web and found one: theringfinders.com. There were two people in NY but not the city. You maybe better off contacting the guy in NJ (Morris County). If that does not pan out what day is she flying out. I maybe able to do something tomorrow or over the weekend.

Good luck

NJ

Does anyone know if NYC uses steel mesh in their sidewalks? Or any other type of metal reinforcements?

OP
OP
M

MKEStyle

Greenie
Jan 27, 2011
Hi NJ,

Thanks very much for the offer. Supposedly her flight was delayed until tomorrow, but with these blizzards I guess you never know. Shes exhausted from being up all night. If I had heard the phone ring I would have told her to go to bed until the sun came up and let me help figure something out, but she was up all night looking..

I will check out that site - and I appreciate all the help and info you all have kicked in. Hey. At the very least, this will get me to get off my butt and get the metal detector Ive wanted my entire life.. and Ive found a new online home for info.

I told her to take a nap for a couple hours and call me when she wakes up. Shes pretty flipped out and Im not going to make it any worse.. Accidents happen. If she ends up leaving and not finding it. I will give the exact location that she fell (ill get her to get the coordinates on GPS) and I will give it to any members who are in that area.. I will give a $500 reward for it, I can't afford any more than that. If a nice person finds it and wants to collect the reward that would be great.. I will take the risk and assume the best about people. I tend to do that, sometimes I'm right :icon_thumleft:

As far as the reward goes, I would pay that to anyone who was able to find it while she was there as well..

Thanks again everyone..

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If anyone finds it please update us...Good luck.

NJ

OP
OP
M

MKEStyle

Greenie
Jan 27, 2011
I will for sure.. This might sound bad but I am hoping she goes to buy a detector now and brings it back to me, much easier to defend a purchase when we are strapped for cash if shes the one who makes it :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even with a detector it could be tough. Does she have anyone there to help her at all? What I'd consider if in that situation is marking a perimeter and have someone shovel the snow on to a sheet of plastic (or whatever) and have two more sort through.
In other words it might be easier to bring the ring to you.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but odds are that ring is gone... If I'm not mistaken NYC had 16-17" of snow over night...After the last storm, NYC was going to make sure it was cleaned up, and quickly. The ring even if dropped wouldn't hit necessarily the bottom, now add a snow blower, or shovel and it put to the curbside. From there a CAT usually loads it to a dump truck, then its off to the Hudson River to be dumped. If this message was posted in the early morning, you might have had a better chance.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have her stand were she got up I think that's when she would of waved her hands to dry them... ring probably flew of then.. I seen it happen to my neighbor and it stuck to the bumper of her car..We were looking on the ground and the flash light made the ring sparkle on the the bumper...she was getting her groceries out of the trunk of here car in one of are U.P.winters when it happened... liftloop

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read your post my prayers are with you that she finds her ring.....Matt

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a city-smart dude on your side, someone who knows how stuff works AND that you can trust. Tall order on the second in NYC.

Like has been said, all sorts of stuff can happen, and the trick is to recreate the incident - most difficult for your fiancee since she's emotional about it; sort of like the guy who lost a shotgun in the river when his boat overturned.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions