Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    938 times

Re: Gyspy's Ghost Town Hunt

Well!!

We are waiting!

And, I know you are back...so whats the delay.
    The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
    85 times

She'll probably be writing for awhile, from the sounds of things..... think she done hit the nail on the head.

Mar 2005
    Orlando, FL
    2 times

What a great story Gypsy! I wish, I wish, I wish I could have done something like that! Hope your finds are many. I can't wait to read the rest of the story.

vicki

hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    48 times

Re: Gyspy's Ghost Town Hunt /Update with some Pics

My camera died on me so I had to load pics off a borrowed camera....pics are at end....This gets a little long...so wont bore everyone with the entire journal....I have to return in two weeks ,because I have about five more cellar holes to dig out.....More pics this week.

Day One:
    Unbelievable weather.100 degrees and not a breeze in sight. Itís like a sauna, even under these huge pines. The grass is chest high and the undergrowth is immense. There are not only briars and brambles, but also lots of lowdown rotting timber. This is going to be a real trick to hunt. The Camper is left parked on a logging road, nestled between several stumps. Not quite level, but with the help of jacks, I at least wont be rolling out of bed. The screen tent porch that attaches is a real problem, but we finally manage to connect it when after several attempts I hoist Mariah onto the roof to guide the vinyl strip into place. Had I known what was to take place later, I wouldnít have bothered.
    We are anxious to hunt and decide to scan the area for foundations first. Its hard walking and we are basically crawling through the briars. I leave the detector and tools, except for hatchet and digging knife until I can find a site. After an hour, we finally stumble down a bank to the river and as I lay at the bottom, with two small daughters piled on top of me laughing their heads off, we spot old cans and broken bottles. Yes! We attack the pile like badgers and skim the rusted cans off. Pieces of broken bottles, pottery and dishes emerge. Knowing that a foundation has to be close by I leave the girls to dig and I climb back up to peer through the tangled brush to see where the largest trees are. I spot several gigantic oaks and head that way. Within moments I am seeing a cellar hole. This will become the pattern for the next four days. Find cellar hole, see collapsed logs and chimney, dig under it, find cast iron cook stove or potbelly stove, and dig under it. Find old iron beds, dig under it...... I will spend an enormous amount of time and energy removing debris from the holes so I can search. I do believe I have died and gone to Heaven.
    I have no idea what time it is, except the sun is way to the west. . We have found four cellar holes and cleared two. The girls had found another dumpsite and have stacked broken bottles and pottery along the bank. I am guessing we arenít going to find many whole bottles as these dump sites are along the flood plane and I am sure as they fill with water, the freezing winters have then broken them. Tired, sore filthy and hungry we make our way back to camp. We come back with one amber bottle Cherry Heering with Peter F Herring Denmark, Copenhagen on the bottom. It looks like its from about 1890-1900 and I am just happy to have one full bottle.
    Itís too hot to build a campfire, so we make hotdogs on the Coleman stove and drink water. The sun is setting and with it the woods comes alive with hoots and howls. Somewhere down the river a coyote sends up a lonesome wail. A group of wild turkeys are spotted up the road and they venture closer, probally amazed to see humans in this spot. The girls and I make for the river and take a much-needed bath. We startle a doe and two fawns, which scamper away. The girls are making so much noise its hard to believe there would be any wildlife in the vicinity with the racket they make. We rinse out our dirty jeans and t-shirts that are caked with mud and lay them on the banks to dry overnight. Its dark by time we make our way back to the camper and the lantern throws eerie shadows. Once inside, the camper is snug and tight and the girls are already planning tomorrows digs. Its plain hot, even with all the windows open the heat is stifling. There is something so peaceful about sleeping in the middle of a forest. The night sounds of crickets and small nocturnal animals scurrying about are calming. The rippling water is just lulling me to sleep. That is until the bigger animals start their prowl. I wasnít sure if it was a bear grunting or a buck snorting, but it rattled me enough to get up and double check the door. With a shotgun at my feet, I fell into a much-needed coma. The next thing I felt and heard was a huge bang. Was someone was throwing rocks on my roof and then lighting fireworks off? What the heck. For the second time today, I had two small daughters piled on top of me. A terrible lightening storm had blown up and the thunder was deafening. As the wind picked up, our small camper swayed back and forth. Pulling the girls closer, I pondered on how smashed we would be once a pine came down on the camper. Since there wasnít much we could do about it, I told the girls to pretend we were in a big storm at sea and asked the Father to hold us safely in His arms for the rest of the night. The girls immediately fell asleep, while I stayed awake to write in the journals and map the area we had hunted. About five am the storm finally passed, and I stepped into the attached tent porch into three inches of water. Flooded to the max. After surveying the area, I was surprised to see several large branches down, one just inch from my jeep. We were really lucky not to have any on the camper.

Day Two
    I plan on getting an early start and pack water and sandwiches for another day in the forest. Its barely 6,when I hear the rumble of an ATV coming down the road. As it nears, I see it is Mr.JC ,a descendant of one of the very first settlers in this area. JC is 73 yrs old and ready to help me locate old foundations. I had had several conversations with him over the years and had asked him to join me on this hunt for a day. I was a little worried about his age, until a couple of hours later when he was telling me to "Keep up" Haha.And this after him having both hips replaced. He was in his glory and entertained me with numerous stories from his childhood. His grandparents, William and Lucy were among those first settlers and he is a wealth of knowledge. We found a stone foundation and I was getting numerous iron hits. I started digging and barely had stuck my knife in the ground, when I hit metal. A pair of iron blacksmith tongs. Within minutes, I was digging out axe heads, 18 inch forged spikes, a 2''x12'' sleigh bolt, one logging tong and then the other side. I had hit the iron lottery. JC really helped with this part, as he was able to identify every piece I pulled from the ground. Then I began pulling up buggy parts; hubs, wheels, rein holders, the steps and springs, by the time I finished I think I have enough parts to put it back together. I even dug the gas lamp that hung from the hook. JC by this time was hooked on metal detecting and wanted to buy mine from me. He kept laughing, calling me a badger and said I wore him out just watching me dig. Since this is the first time I had ever had someone hunt with me outside of the girls, I was happy that I had him along. I really enjoyed his company and learned alot from him. As the day went on, he began telling me of other places that I should hunt. Old trapper cabins and people who had died in the thirties and left buried money that no one could find. Hmmmmm....Mr JC was rapidly becoming my new best friend!
    In the mean time, the girls had found another hole and found a stash of old silverware and broken pottery. Thick stone wear crocks and plates, broken, but mostly marked Redwing. Each time they pulled a broken dish out you would hear one of them exclaim...Awwww thatís too bad...
    We hunted the entire day and hauled as much as we could back to the camper in five gallon buckets. If you think I was dirty and sore the first day, triple that for this one. Plus the lack of sleep from the storm wasnít helping. After our goodbyes to JC and a promise to meet him on day four, we took our river bath again and ate a light supper. The girls played checkers and talked about their finds over candlelight as I write in the journal. Cheyenne just said 'Mom...isnít this the best vacation we ever hadĒ.
    Day Three
    It stormed again last night and the thunder kept us awake, but again no damage. Everything is soaked and steaming as temps hit 80 by 7. I observe the growing pile of iron next to the camper and wonder what the heck I will take and have to leave. I canít carry it all home. Today we are canoeing up river to hit a couple of trapper cabins. The water is low enough that should I tip, I can walk out! After about a half mile, I see several large pines next to the bank. As I bring the canoe to shore, bottles and rusty cans poke out of the bank. This is a sandy area and I can see a partial stone foundation at the top of the bank near the pines. These are stacked stones and as I climb up I know I have the sawmill! This is where I want to cry. I have finally come full circle with my research and this is the missing piece I needed to prove this settlement did indeed exist. My very first hit was about six inches deep. Hacking through roots, I finally hit hard iron. My gloves are just about in shreds after two days of digging. Then I pulled it out. A broad axe. I wonder just how far the echo of my scream carried through those woods! From old maps I have, this was the perfect place to build the mill. The water route has now shifted a bit and the mill is standing about 75 feet from the river. Digging into this rich black earth, I realize I am actually standing on old sawdust mounds and hope they wont cave in. I continue to dig and find more forged bolts, handles, a rusted potbelly stove with a hand dicer tool still in the oven, wooden handle in tact! Axes, plow bits, harness buckles, a iron skate, 8 inch square nails, spikes, horse shoes and every what not imaginable. After a half day of digging I have had enough. The temps have risen and we are blacker than the soil. The deer flies are biting and hard.... more rain coming. I decide to canoe up to the old cabin and search around it while I still have daylight. The girls are tired and sleep in the bottom of the canoe. I find the remnants of the cabin with no problem. I knew that there had been people living there until the 1930's. The owner has kept it up as best as he can and the original vertical cedar logs have stood well against the elements.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CheyMoBathTime.JPG 
Views:	20475 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	91619   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blacksmith tools,tongs,drag.JPG 
Views:	20531 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	91620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1#Cellar Hole behind pines.JPG 
Views:	20319 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	91621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JumpRverSchool.JPG 
Views:	20197 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	91622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LeDeaux cabin.JPG 
Views:	20236 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	91623  

I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    48 times

More to come

Name:	Southforkstoresite.JPG 
Views:	20122 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	91624  
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

us
    Dec 2004
    Troy X5
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

KICK ASS DIGS
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others. -George Orwell

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
    85 times

except for the storm, sounds like a blast! Pretty neat findings, too. I bet you and the girls can't wait to get back-

us
    Random chance seems to have operated in our favor

Oct 2004
    Oklahoma
    4 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Man oh man! Totally awesome!! What a great story and pics. My hat's off to you, CONGRATS!

us
    Dec 2004
    Long Island New York
    White's XLT
    2 times

Congratulations Gypsy!!!!, I'm so glad all your hard work paid off. It looks like you and the girls had such a good time. I cant wait to see and hear the rest of your story.

kenb

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    48 times

more

Name:	cellarholedigs1.JPG 
Views:	19864 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	91665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cellarholedigs2.JPG 
Views:	19760 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	91666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cellarholedigs3.JPG 
Views:	19649 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	91667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20 inch lid.JPG 
Views:	19497 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	91668  

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2006
    SE Louisiana
    Garrett AT Pro & Ace 250
    1358 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Gypsy,

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome...your story, finds & pics.

So happy for you and the girls.

River

rvbvetter

Great great story!! Really looking forward to reading more.
    I'm sure you know this already, but just in case. Redwing is highly sought after by collectors. Some what like McCoy pottery is.
    You're a real credit to treasure net. Congratulations and WTG!!! HH

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    75 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Excellent! Monty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

us
    Jul 2005
    West Virginia
    2 times

Great pics. Do you travel with a dog? I have a hundred+ pound female cur cross. Nothing gets close to my camp without me knowing.
    Just because it did not work does not mean it was not a good plan!

us
    Still a Treasure Hunting Fool!

Mar 2006
    Oxford Hills of Maine
    Explorer SE Pro
    4 times

WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW. Gypsy I love the stories that you give us. They help me "be there". You are a great writer and did I say wow! Great Finds! I really look foward to more in a few weeks.
    Good Luck & Happy Hunting

Hills Hunter

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors