4 GW BUTTONS -location pictures added

zootman

Feb 1, 2006
Hunterdon County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites, M6, Classic III, 5900 DI Pro Plus
Re: 4 GW BUTTONS -Appraisal Added

Way to go MM2. I hunt Western NJ also, Huntrdon County. Found a pair of NJ coppers but, never any buttons.
I keep threating to move to Florida, but, the hunting is pretty good in this area. We should get together sometime for coffee or a beer and swap some stories. Also, Im trying to get some guys together to do a hunt in the Battle of Bound Brook area. I grew up around there and used to go to a swimming hole in the area, interested, shoot me an Email.
Zootman

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow sweet! I cant fathom how they were not deeper do you think because it was a hillside?

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WoW!

Some very excellent finds!

Welcome and HH

DENNIS IN NY

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2006

hi , i to found a very rae GW BUTTON THIS , IT IS ON THE COVER OF THE DEC ISSUE THE THAT SAYS 10,000 PLUS FOUND IN UPSTAE NY DENNIS NI NY

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 4 GW BUTTONS

Born2Dtect said:
Great finds. I am not surprised that you found multiple GW buttons. The were not everyday wear. The were often worn on a cape by inserting them through the fabric then running a ribbon of cloth through all of them, then tying a knot in each end of the cloth ribbon. If the ribbon broke often all of the bottons came off. Resulting in a multiple loss if not found immediately. An attempted robbery would would explain all if the items were fairly close.
Ah! history! Don,t you love it. ;)

Ed Donovan
robery? all the buttons and pocket change found in one spot the bones may lie there as well!

drdave

Greenie
Mar 2, 2007
EAST TN
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & MXT with Sunray Probes

HOLY CR** Not too many of those around!

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 4 GW BUTTONS -more pictures added

I wanted to follow this up with some pictures of the area.These were taken last fall.In the first picture, the grove is just up ahead on the right,the fifth shows what used to be a much larger pond.In the third and fourth picture,the grove is just ahead on the left,this is the trail I was following when I stumbled upon it.The first plain button was found on the trail near the evergreen directly in front in the fourth picture.The first GW was recovered near the same tree.

Attachments

• DSCN1723.JPG
    DSCN1723.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 2,136
  • DSCN1724.JPG
    DSCN1724.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,121
  • DSCN1725.JPG
    DSCN1725.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 2,095
  • DSCN1726.JPG
    DSCN1726.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,075
  • DSCN1729.JPG
    DSCN1729.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,070

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Excellent location shots!

I loved your article BTW ;) Best Finds is no easy task... man what a great and inspirational story. Thanks for the follow-up pics. NO chance of a GW being out here in Montana and being found... I miss the East Coast where those wonderful possibilities exist!

Keep up the great work!

Hit the hell out of that worked-out area! :D

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes thanks for the location photos! I for one love to see the spots and hear the story in detail that is what makes a great post for me. Plus 4 GWs ain't hurtin it none either!

Skillets

Mar 6, 2007
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mountainman, first of all congratulations on these amazing finds. And second, I have to back up the comment made by tabfinder...don't tell anyone where this spot is! My first thought in regards to people being curious about them was, "restrictions...historical society...bloodsucking leeches..."
Don't let it happen, go back and find more stuff!

Skillets

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Since this post was brought back to life from April 2007, I'd like to say it was one of the more exciting posts I read when I first joined!

Ahhhh... the memories.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
It is obvious that a coat full of GW buttons was left behind. What a site and KILLER finds!!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread