MY OLDEST TO DATE: TWO THOUSAND YEAR OLD COPPER TOOLS

OP
OP
W

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Well I had the "pros" over the house today to take a look. Under magnification, you can see specs of silver in the copper. VERY cool indeed. They were certain that these are Hopewell artifacts. They have been hunting and collecting for over thirty years on this stuff. They also stated that copper finds are very very rare in Illinois. Most of their finds have been made of stone.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
hey Doug really cool finds, most of the old copper came from the copper country here in the Upper Peninsula of Mi. and the island of Isle Royal in lake Superior, they have found copper artifacts dating back 7ooo years in Oconto, Wi. Copper was traded all over the U.S. from here. a fascinating book on the copperculture is, Michigan's Pre History's Mysteries. makes you think how old this country really is.

D

DIGITYDAN

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf066/sf066a01.htm

HI. AM NEW HERE AND LOVE THIS FIND. I SUSPECT THEY ARE MUCH OLDER. JUST BECAUSE NATIVES 'LIVED' THERE DURING 200-400 BC MEANS LITTLE.

ABOVE LINK IS A FAVORITE. PART OF THE STORY OF HOW EUROPE GOT IT'S COPPER DURING THE BRONZE AGE. AND WHERE ALL OF OURS WENT.

DIGITY

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
um dan what do stone structures have to do with copper tools ?
there is no mention of what you mentioned in your post? heres the text

The purported pyramids found on the muddy floor of Wisconsin's Rock Lake are so fascinating that we must pass on the following report, even though it comes from outside the group of publications we usually rely on. In fact, we have never seen anything on these pyramids in the scientific press, although in SF#30 we did present an earlier report on them from the Wisconsin State Journal. So, caveat emptor!

Rock Lake Pyramid
The first sketch of the Rock Lake Pyramid from a 1970 issue of Skin Diver, as presented in Ancient Man.
The author of this article, F. Joseph, states that beneath the surface of Rock Lake lie at least ten structures. Two of these have been mapped and photographed by skin divers and sonar. Structure #1, which has been dubbed the Limnatis Pyramid, has a base width of 60 feet, a length of about 100 feet, and a height of 18 feet, although only about 10 feet protrude from the silt and mud. It is a truncated pyramid, built largely out of round, black stones. On the truncated top, the stones are squarish. The remains of a plaster coating can be discerned.

The Rock Lake structures are made more believable by the presence, 3 miles away, of the Indian site of Aztalan. There, there are two truncated, earthen pyramids, partially surrounded by a tall stockade, which was originally plastered. Aztalan seems to have been occupied as late as the Fourteenth Century.

(Joseph, Francis; "Found: The Lost Pyramids of Rock Lake," Fate, 42:88, October 1989.)

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Now those are a find of a lifetime. Most of us get excited on breaking the 18th century for coins let alone ancient tools......Congrats from one Doug to another.... ;)

GL & HH,

DugHoles

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good deal!

hh

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not going to believe this, but my dad has found these same tools in Southern Illinois. I believe they are from Mississippian Indians.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you put them on ebay I hope you don't object to my asking what they ended up auctioning for?

RonNewbie

Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, MXT
Crap, that's an incredible find. I wish you would have gotten more for them on ebay though. I would have thought that they would have been worth more than that. Great find and a great pic...thanks for sharing it with us.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Christopher said:
OMG, that sounds so exiting! Great finds, are you going to donate those to any museum?

:D At about 400 dollars a pop I wouldn't. They just paid for a detector upgrade. Nice.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing you could donate them to my museum

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread