MY OLDEST TO DATE: TWO THOUSAND YEAR OLD COPPER TOOLS

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
I had these posted in the "what is it" forum. These were found a few months back and I nearly pitched them. Turns out they are 2000 year old copper tools. I was told by a local collector that these are classic Hopewell tools. The Hopewell Indians date about 200 BC to 400 AD here in Illinois. They were found near a river in a wooded area in northern Illinois. I was told that they are a very rare find here . They will become part of someone's collection, I have put them on Ebay. Enjoy the picture

Attachments

• artifacts 8.jpg
    artifacts 8.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 10,436

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on authenticating them - really nice finds!

kalpinro

May 25, 2006
Doug,

You made the right move not trashing them. You will get at least a $1000 for them. I would not be surprised if $2000. Outstanding finds! Get back to that site now and you might not have to work another day this year.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Doug, Ive been waiting to see what you found out on the tools...congrats!I believe you should write up a nice story of the day you found these....should be on "Best of Treasure net" ...The coolest finds Ive ever seen....Joe

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds for sure. Far too many of us throw our finds away without checking. I've done it myself.

Congrats.

Badger

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow Doug, awesome finds for sure.
I Hope you doo Well on the eBay thing :)

Thanks for sharing these and yes, get back there and dig more!!

Smiles!
BDoo

B

BIG61AL

This gets my vote as one of the best finds of the year 2006
OUTSTANDING FIND!!!!

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Superb pieces! Find copper culture artifacts here in Wisconsin right away but that axe is way better than the average find, I wouldn't have been able to part with them! ;D I have been watching copper culture artifacts on ebay for years now and I hate to say this but I don't think you will get a thousand for them... :(

OP
OP
W

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Here the auction number....260028942089...not use how to post a link. I have had a few offers on it, but I think I'll let ebay run its course. There has been quite a bit of interest in it

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Doug, I posted on your other thread that they certainly looked like ancient copper tools. I'm happy for you that they were, those are great finds. I hope a museum buys them, have you tried that avenue or are you strictly flogging them on ebay?

diggerodell

Jul 3, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV
Congratulations on that great find! My remarks are concerning the fact that you are selling those artifacts to an individual on the open market and not selling or donating it to a museum. That might bother some folks. But those valuable artifacts WILL make it to the museum sooner or later. They have been in the ground for a thousand years. If it takes 40 or 50 years longer before they go on public display, it is of little matter. Sooner or later a collector or historian with the financial ability will see to it that a museum or other public institution gets them. Until then, one or a series of individuals can enjoy owning them. That's cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread