Pics of my Collection

OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Here are some of the doodles from the cave.

Anyone know FINN from 1873 or Dellmon Moris from 1900?

The second one has my hiking buddy in it... so it was slightly edited.  It's looking over the cave from the entrance. The holes in the back only go back about ten more feet. We estimated the size to be about forty feet across, 60 feet deep and about 30 feet high at the center.

Attachments

• 768.JPG
    768.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 14,157
  • 794- edit.JPG
    794- edit.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 14,089

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Dig, I really enjoy seeing the pictures, and sorry it took me so long to respond (i'm rather slow). Ok, first off...let's discuss the Clovis. I'm sorry, that being authentic is a very hard stretch for me. 1 - Obsidian isn't typically found where you state that is from. 2. Even where obsidian is plentiful, Clovis people didn't utilize it in Clovis manufacturing quite as frequently as they did other materials. Less homogenous materials was favored, and for good reason. 3. The form looks odd on it..I would dearly love to see a closer picture of it. I'm not questioning your Grandfather finding it. However, it's entirely possible that it was planted or used as seed. This is VERY common everywhere, and nobody is immune. I know of several obsidian pieces found around here locally at dams that a modern knapper planted. Also, some of the others pieces look very strange (like the cross shaped items). They have steep edge retouch which looks like it was done by a totally different knapper on the edges...retouch. But, it could just be the pictures too! It's hard to tell alot from photographs, and it's super easy to get fooled by them (wouldn't be the first time for me). Thanks for sharing, and I hope you aren't offended by my inquisitive nature.

T

TreasureTales

Holy crap DigEmAll, yours is by far the best personal collection I've ever seen. In fact, it surpasses many museum collections I've seen. Man oh man, what great stuff. I am so wanting to find something completely intact, most of what I find is broken or water tumbled and therefore not in the best condition. Your collection is ... well ... words fail to describe the quality, quantity and variety. Congrats on your efforts (and your father's and grandfather's) and on your collection.

The diamond-shaped points are quite similar to ones I have collected or been given which came from just east of my hometown (if I remember correctly).

The piece with the rocks cemented into the larger rock could be conglomerate. Why anyone would make a tool from it is beyond my comprehension, it's not a particularly stable rock.

Anyhow, thanks for posting the pix. Have you made any decisions about the future of your wonderful collection? IMHO, it would be a crying shame to ever piece it out. Sure, it could bring in a good return whole or pieced out, but the odds of any private party amassing such a collection again (unless through purchases) is probably slim. Something I hope you will consider carefully with many different scenarios in mind -- what its future will be. Do you have any children who are as interested in the collection as you? If not, please be sure to make plans for it and put those plans in your will. Geez, I'm still gasping after looking at those pix.

OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
WOW... I made Best of T-Net?!?!  Was not expecting that!

Thanks guys!!!

Matt, to answer your questions...
1 -  Obsidian isn't typically found where you state that is from.

One of the other points (sadly, I have no clue which one) my dad was told by a researcher that the stone is only found in South Dakota, but the point was found in Georgia.  I would also like to point out the twenty of so other points that are made from obsidian that reside in the collection.  I also would point out that Stone Mountain (the second largest monolith in the world) is granite, another volcanic rock, and is located near Atlanta, Georgia.

2. Even where obsidian is plentiful, Clovis people didn't utilize it in Clovis manufacturing quite as frequently as they did other materials.  Less homogenous materials was favored, and for good reason. 

What reason is that?  Obsidian is a VERY hard none crystaline substance that flakes easily and cleanly.  It is STILL used to make surgical instruments for eye operations due to it be far superior to steel when it comes to holding a edge.  I don't see a lot of chert being used these days! LOL

3.  The form looks odd on it.

The form looks almost perfect according to almost everyone that has looked at it and handled it.  Even a couple of researchers from the University of Tennessee have looked at it.  While neither offically "Authenticated" it, they also did not question it's authenticity or the location it was found either.

I would dearly love to see a closer picture of it.
Here you go.

Attachments

• Obs-Clovis.JPG
    Obs-Clovis.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 13,504
  • Obs-1.JPG
    Obs-1.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 13,384
  • Obs-1.JPG
    Obs-1.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 13,397
  • Obs-Clovis.JPG
    Obs-Clovis.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 13,486
OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Couple more...

Attachments

• Obs-3.JPG
    Obs-3.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 13,604
  • Obs-2.JPG
    Obs-2.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 13,690
  • Obs-2.JPG
    Obs-2.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 13,637
  • Obs-3.JPG
    Obs-3.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 13,616

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Quote: Obsidian isn't typically found where you state that is from.

America's ancient peoples traveled and traded over vast distances, so the fact that a point is made from material naturally occuring only at some faraway location is not necessarily a sufficient reason to question its authenticity. For example, at the Spiro mounds in Oklahoma, archaeologists have found varieties of colored flint unique to New Mexico, conch shells from the Gulf Coast, native copper from the Great Lakes, mica from the Carolinas, and obsidian from Mexico.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Impressive collection Dig !

That obsidian point is nothing short of awesome. I can only imagine that it was more likely used for ritual and shaman type purposes than for "work" - it's just to "magical" looking.

BTW - nobody's EVER gonna confuse the two of us: YOU find stuff !

Diggem'

OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
LOL... I'm sure you find stuff too Diggem!  I'm just glad you are a nice, and respectable guy... who cares if someone confuses you for me.   

And thanks to you too PBK, that is exactly the point I was trying to get across.

:) :) :)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic collection, thanks for posting! I'll be jumping up and down when I find a point here in Germany. HH, Mike

Matejko

Jul 18, 2005
Warsaw-Poland
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
This is amazing !!! Great stuff, CONGRATS !!!
Took my breath away, and throwed me on my knees. :o :o :o
Really impressive family tradition. :o :o :o

I have to (I must) give the link to my friends at Polish site, to let them look at the pics. Hope, you don't mind, DigEmAll? ;)
Your login speaks for itself ! CONGRATS AGAIN !!!

Pozdrawiam Matejko

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
DigEmAll: WOW,that is an impressive collection! I like arrow heads and stuff but I have never found any.

ericwt

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digemall,

That is one incredible collection of arrows. It does not matter if one or two are fake, or touched up by knappers.... your collection is fantastic. ::)

Keep up the great work Digemall....

God bless
Peter

iwannafindsome

Sep 11, 2006
columbus ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm v
awesome collection i love it :)
i have a small collection of personal finds but not as nice as yours.ill take some pictures of mine and post it sooner or later.

OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Thanks guys!

And Iwannfindson, I would personally love to see your pics!

Matejko, you can link it if you like, I don't mind.
(Sorry it took so long for me to tell you that, I missed your post.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions