The Iceberg story- updated 2/23/07

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
Re: A good day - 5 silver, 138 Wheat pennies.

hollowpointred said:
man that is unreal! :o how do you figure hundreds of wheaties came to be in such a small area? awesome stuff yet again!

didn't you say that place used to be a fairgrounds??? maybe it was a place where they flipped pennys to win a prize or something along that line??

by the way Mirage .... do you find trash amongst all that treasure ???

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 12/16 at the Iceberg - 70 wheats plus silver

Way to go you guys, nice post Nate. Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the great weather we are having here in Ohio.

Wonder why all those pennies are in that one location? I suppose you guys already know that answer, and your not going to tell us. LOL. I suppose they had a penny pitch there maybe. I also bet your memorials are really from the early 60's. I know most of our memorials from the Happy Trails site are just that, from the early 60's. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Soooooooooooo Close! LOL.

HH<Ringfinder.

:P.S. My partner and I got out yesterday also and I'll post those pictures later today when I get to my scanner. We didn't go to the Happy Trails site, we just hunted old school houses and old Church sites.

nascarfan

Jul 17, 2005

Mirage, I envy you guys, been looking for my Iceburg but no luck yet!!! Hope everything is alright with the better half!!! I know that if my wife was to get me outta bed to TALK at 5:30am, the world would have come off its axis or something of that magnitude. I do also know about balancing everything with family time and all, sometimes its hard to make it out even once per week...... later, Nascarfan

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Another great 'berg day, congrats on all those excellent coins Bob.
That place never ceases to amaze huh. Glad you got out!!
Happy holidays to you and yours!

Smiles!
BDoo

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Hey Mirage, you could complete a wheat penny collection with that spot. I agree that it must have been a penny toss game of some kind. I have seen pictures of ones that you toss the penny into plates or cups and you win the one that it stays in. These were popular back in the thirties and forties I believe. Looks like this one went into the fifties. At least you won't get bored in that spot. Congrats...Lance

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Way to go Nate, congrats on another awesome berg day.
You guys are fortunate to have such a great site.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Well Robert old chap, ya know I am kinda jealous, but duty calls.
As spring approaches (yes, it does approach. even if we SHOULD be under a foot of snow right now) Spencer's travel baseball team will start having more and more indoor workouts on the weekends. This weekends was SUPPOSED to be Spencer's (and mine-the chauffer) weekend off from it , and we planned on hunting with you guys, but he got "the call" on Friday to come and catch for some older boys (14 and 15 yrs old) who had pitching workouts (Spencer is a pitcher and sometimes platoons as catcher). He was bummed we couldn't hunt...and intimidated by being asked to catch the "six-footers" as he call the older boys, but he did fine.
We talked last night about where we would hunt Sunday, and right after we talked, he got "the call" again, this time his coach (not his instructor) asking him to come in today at noon to do some live-pitching against the same 14-15 yr olds that will be hitting. ::)
Now he's afraid of taking a line drive to the head or something like that because he hasn't pitched to a live batter since August.

Anyways, you two did great, but I never would have succumbed to the teen-pressure and abandoned the first area that spit out three silver in such a short time, regardless of the lack of targets. I actually LIKE when the targets are few a far between but GOOD targets.
I know...the incredible gravitational pull of all that old copper in the wheatfields was hard for Nate to deny. Nice you got some silver there too.
I am free next weekend a bit, but if you're already getting "the talk", you don't wanna puch it on Xmas weekend lol!! j/k

great hunt!!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o

T

TreasureTales

Yes, yes, yes...the coins are nice. Ho hum, getting pretty routine for you to find all that silver and all those wheat cents, yawn.
BUT, the MARBLES are marblelous. ;D ;D

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Still more wheats there, eh? Amazing. You more than doubled my one day wheat record.

Great finds Mirage.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AWESOME!!!! Mirage you and Nate are the MEN. You guys are hot, hope the Iceberg keeps you digging all winter!

I know Gary and I can't even come close to all your finds at the Iceberg. But we are trying. LOL I know from washing my finds, that I have dug over 2000 clad coins at our Happy Trails site this year. I haven't counted the silver and other finds yet. In clad I came up with over $165 and Gary came up with $145 in clad coins. Of course were not done for the year yet, but I'm sure it won't be long.

HH, Ringfinder

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Thanks all!

ringfinder said:
AWESOME!!!! Mirage you and Nate are the MEN. You guys are hot, hope the Iceberg keeps you digging all winter!

I know Gary and I can't even come close to all your finds at the Iceberg. But we are trying. LOL I know from washing my finds, that I have dug over 2000 clad coins at our Happy Trails site this year. I haven't counted the silver and other finds yet. In clad I came up with over $165 and Gary came up with $145 in clad coins. Of course were not done for the year yet, but I'm sure it won't be long.

HH, Ringfinder

Denny, we have had quantity but I think you have a little better quality. Between Dan, Nate and I we have only pulled two barbers, one seated and 3 halves. Oh, yeah and Dan did get that Morgan. ::) We however don't find much clad. The wheat pennies are fun. This wheat penny spot is far from depleted. I know I can still go back there with Nate and each of us come home with almost 100 wheaties.

2000 coins from the Happy Trails - wow. And $300 in clad. Very Sweet. ;D

B.RATNY said:
Nice haul Bob. It's amazing how many coins you guys have pulled out of there. I saw Nates post also, very impressive.
HH Butch NY

Hey Butch. Good to see you on TreasureNet. :)

HH
Bob

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Wow wheatie heaven. You gotta get all 10,000 of em' out of there because there has to be a key date in there somewhere. I love the stamped good luck token. They are very personal to the individual who stamped it. Nice finds!

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT

Nate,

What's the best date wheatie that's come out of that site? I don't recall hearing of any spectacular wheats, i could be wrong though.

Bjorn

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS

Nate in Ohio said:
Thanks Nana...the dirt doesn't stick to the coins real bad, and all it takes is some ammonia and Qtips to get the dirt off, then olive oil puts the color and shine back into them.

I use Blue Ribbon coin conditioner, but Olive Oil is the less expensive option for sure. WD-40 will also do the job. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions