The Iceberg story- updated 2/23/07

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
One and One Hundred and One at the Iceberg

Nate, Dan and I got out to the Iceberg today. Dan and Nate did better than I did but at least I didn’t get skunked. :) Took me until the last hour before I got my lone Merc. The highlight of the day was when Dan drifted away from the “wheat field”. He was mumbling under his breath about how he could dig wheat pennies all day long in this field. Shortly later he yells from a distance – “Another Walker!” So it doesn’t take much coaxing and we are over where he is. 10 minutes later and within 5 feet of me Nate says Barber Half! That will get your blood flowing. ;D
Ended up with 1 silver and 101 Wheat Pennies.

Merry Christmas

Bob

Attachments

• Ukon800.jpg
    Ukon800.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,162
  • Abonminal800.jpg
    Abonminal800.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,162

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: One and One Hundred and One at the Iceberg

Awesome finds!! ;D

D

damz68

Re: 12-23 Hunt at the 'Berg...first 2X big silver day for me and big$ coin for Nate!

Man that is sick!

Can you all post your totals for the year at that one spot? What the heck is the berg, park, church?

Well congrats on the good day and Merry Christmas, early.

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage

Another great day at the berg. I still can't believe how good those wheaties look coming out of the ground.
Mike in NJ

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iceburg Hunt 12/23 - 1908-S Barber Half

Hey guys, it was another great day at the Iceburg today. Like Dan said, I had just left the wheat field to sniff around where he had just announced finding a walker half. I walked around for just a few minutes and got the monster hit. I was not expecting a half in the first place...then I realized that the coin in my hand was my first barber half!! It was really exciting. In the daze that followed I ended up filling my hole back up...but I rechecked it after that I guess..lol..and heaped the dirt back up and found the 1907-O dime. What a great break from the wheats. Fairly closeby I got the Rosie. So all in all I ended up with 86 wheats, 31 memorials, and a Catholic medallion. It says "sacred heart of Jesus have mercy on us." Thanks for reading and hope yall have an awesome Christmas!!! HH

Dec23C.jpg

Dec23A.jpg

Dec23B.jpg

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Re: 12-23 Hunt at the 'Berg...first 2X big silver day for me and big$ coin for Nate!

Nice job guys! Can you tell us about the Iceberg? Was it an old park? What year was it in its heyeday. How big is the area your hunting? And estimate the amount of people at the park in its heyday. Hope thats not to much to ask, i know you guys have a lot of coins to dig! LOL The reason i ask is i hunted an old park thats closed, just woods there now. I read that over 4000 people attended this park on 4th of July 1904. Sounds like a lot of people considering the little town thats close by only has 350 population. Found approx 60 coins in this park, Indian pennies, Barber, Seated, Sheild nickels, Liberty nickels, and etc. We cant hunt the main part of the park because the owner wont let us. Anyway this park is probably 3 or 4 acres in size, just trying to size it up to yours. Thanks Im winded Frank

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Re: 12-23 Hunt at the 'Berg...first 2X big silver day for me and big$ coin for N

Dan,
Fun time. That's what's great about this hobby - always something different. Nate was just talking about how his next goal was a Barber Half. Guess he has to set a new goal. ;)

Two Walkers in a day - I'd say it was a good day for you. ;D

Bob

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG ! I wanna go huntin with you guys ! ;D

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Re: Iceburg Hunt 12/23 - 1908-S Barber Half

Congratulations on your first Barber Half! Very nice find. Didn't see that one coming.

Dad

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you guys SMASHED it!!! What id the deal with this place??? Everyone hunting there always seems to make the rest of us look like, well, rookies. Do you know what was there in the past? Why would there be so many old coins?. Please don't give hints as to the location, I'm not looking for that. Just curious as to what I need to look for where I live to hit this kind of honey hole.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep smashin it guys!!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

outstanding!

L

loganscott

Man! Im ecstatic when I find one wheat. You found 86???, Im curious too. What in the heck was there???

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star

Outstanding guys...

2 Walkers at the same spot! Nice..Very Nice!

ZoSo71

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

great coin Nate...it's GOTTA be the best one yet from there.

For all those asking about the location's history, I advise you go read the Iceberg thread on the "best of" forum, but briefly...
It was a picnic grove/camping area from (best I can tell from research) about 1890 through the 1950's, then became a private picnic area thing and then was sold to the city. One older lady (who is the Mother of a friend who lives nearby the location and first clued me in on it) says there used to be "fairs" on the location during certain times.
Also, I did more research and found out that the area ALSO had several baseball fields and some games were very well attended in the early 1900s. I have yet to locate exactly where the baseball was played. The entire area is heavily overgrown, and it's hard to picture what it must have looked like.
Oh yeah...it was near a point where an inter-city trolley/railway ended. LOTS of such areas sprouted up during the rail's domination on transportation. LOTS of these spots completely DIED when cars and paved roads took over and bypassed the areas.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

coinman66 said:
Nice job guys! Can you tell us about the Iceberg? Was it an old park? What year was it in its heyeday. How big is the area your hunting? And estimate the amount of people at the park in its heyday. Hope thats not to much to ask, i know you guys have a lot of coins to dig! LOL The reason i ask is i hunted an old park thats closed, just woods there now. I read that over 4000 people attended this park on 4th of July 1904. Sounds like a lot of people considering the little town thats close by only has 350 population. Found approx 60 coins in this park, Indian pennies, Barber, Seated, Sheild nickels, Liberty nickels, and etc. We cant hunt the main part of the park because the owner wont let us. Anyway this park is probably 3 or 4 acres in size, just trying to size it up to yours. Thanks Im winded Frank

see my respone on Nate's thread about today's hunt, and read the Iceberg thread on the Best Of forum....
Unknown how many people were here, but I'd say lots and lots judging by the # of coins we have found so far.
The area we hunt is I'd say about 10 acres or so.In it's heydey maybe 1920 (read about a big baseball series played there in 1920 in an old newspaper article on microfische.
We have YET to find ANY IH's though ??? ??? ??? and only one seated coin (again...NATE!!)

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

LOVE the pics Bob!!!....your best yet!!

holy crap my right knee is killing me right now. Gotta learn a better way to kneel down. Maybe on my left knee for a while ???

Good thing I wandered away from you two too!...w/out THAT, we'de be two halves short of a six pack. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread