Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Iceberg story- updated 2/23/07

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

Re: Weekend hunt at the Iceberg with Mirage and Nate-57 silver,17 Buffalos!!

Jer-
    I would gladly give up a weekend hunt day at my new spot to meet you if we were in an area where there was a good possibility of finding large cents!
    That is one of my remaining goals for my first year (I am 7 months into my first year detecting)
    1st goal was 20 rings-I am at close to 40
    2nd was 50 silver coins-I am already over 70
    3rd was 1800s coin-I have 4 from 1800s and one from 1792!
    4th was a large cent-unfilled
    5th goal was enough clad to upgrade my machine-last count had me over $400 in clad, and I am not so sure I NEED to upgrade-VERY happy with the ACE.

"The Beauvians are obviously reptilian"
    Riley Martin

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

Quote Originally Posted by groundfisher
    Absolutely awesome finds for all of you.Congrats!Loved the pics!
    If you see an old Jeep following you out this weekend...it's not me.
    We will be utilizing multiple vehicles, including decoys to return to this spot from now on. No one knows of the correct departure time, and the route used will be selected at random.
    Riley Martin

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

Quote Originally Posted by The Seeker
    What a great site !! It is so nice to just find one of those places that have never been detected! I'm sure when you guys go back that there will be plenty more to be uncovered ! With the area so overgrown, Spring time will be a great time to go back while the grass and brush are matted down !!

We will look forward to more great finds and pics for sure this Spring! HH
    Seeker-I will be back ther each and every weekend until the ground freezes, and even then, as long as only the first inch or two is frozen, that is acceptable
    Hopefully, by spring, things will slow down. My son's travel baseball schedule takes most of my time once spring comes.
    Riley Martin

Oct 2006
    North Central Oklahoma
    CTX 3030, Etrac, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

They are awesome finds, the kind you dream of.....just goes to show that research IS the key.

I noticed the coins cleaned up really well is this what you used (I have never heard of it before) BLUE MAGIC METAL POLISH CREAM?
    If so where do you buy it or is there something that will do the same?

thanks
    [size=14pt]Numismatic Archaeologist[br]Oklahoma Metal Detecting and Treasure Hunting Club[/size]

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Okie
    They are awesome finds, the kind you dream of.....just goes to show that research IS the key.

I noticed the coins cleaned up really well is this what you used (I have never heard of it before) BLUE MAGIC METAL POLISH CREAM?

thanks
    Yes, that's the stuff..Blue Magic...just Google it and you'll find plenty of online retailers that carry it.
    Simichrome polish works well too, but it's more expensive, harder to come by, and contains a very fine abrasive.
    There are LOTS of folks that say cleaning and polishing silver coins is taboo. The way I see it, I first check the coin to see if it's a key date. If not, I clean and polish it. I just like the way it displays better.
    Also, when using either Blue Magic or Simichrome, after a few months the coin developes a nice luster and loses that bright shine.
    Riley Martin

Oct 2006
    North Central Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Okie

thanks
    Yes, that's the stuff..Blue Magic...just Google it and you'll find plenty of online retailers that carry it.
    Simichrome polish works well too, but it's more expensive, harder to come by, and contains a very fine abrasive.
    There are LOTS of folks that say cleaning and polishing silver coins is taboo. The way I see it, I first check the coin to see if it's a key date. If not, I clean and polish it. I just like the way it displays better.
    Also, when using either Blue Magic or Simichrome, after a few months the coin developes a nice luster and loses that bright shine.
    Thanks for the info...I wouldn't clean a good date but I have a Buffalo (my first), no date, so I guess it's worthless so I would like to clean it up.

thanks again
    Paul
    [size=14pt]Numismatic Archaeologist[br]Oklahoma Metal Detecting and Treasure Hunting Club[/size]

Oct 2006
    Way Northern California
    Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
    18 times

Danimal,

Just wanted to add my congratulations to the list. If you weren't so willing to help your fellow TN'ers, and devote the due diligence to your research (even though it takes time you could be spending in the field), I'd be jealous.

I find myself going back to your detailed explanation of operating in pinpoint mode with the Ace250 again and again...still learning it but I have found a couple of coins using this method that just didn't ring reliably and I otherwise would have hesitated to dig.

Okay, who am I kidding.....I guess I AM jealous.

I'm trying to get permission right now to hunt a state owned site that was one of the earliest settlements (along a stagecoach road) in my town. The manager seemed pretty receptive to the idea, but get this. He said that he'd have to look into their policy, because in his 20 years on the job, no one has ever asked to MD! My fingers are starting to cramp after three days of keeping them crossed.

MP

Oct 2006
    North Central Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by mountainplayer
    Danimal,

Just wanted to add my congratulations to the list. If you weren't so willing to help your fellow TN'ers, and devote the due diligence to your research (even though it takes time you could be spending in the field), I'd be jealous.

I find myself going back to your detailed explanation of operating in pinpoint mode with the Ace250 again and again...still learning it but I have found a couple of coins using this method that just didn't ring reliably and I otherwise would have hesitated to dig.

Okay, who am I kidding.....I guess I AM jealous.

I'm trying to get permission right now to hunt a state owned site that was one of the earliest settlements (along a stagecoach road) in my town. The manager seemed pretty receptive to the idea, but get this. He said that he'd have to look into their policy, because in his 20 years on the job, no one has ever asked to MD! My fingers are starting to cramp after three days of keeping them crossed.

MP

Mountainplayer,
    In reference to this " find myself going back to your detailed explanation of operating in pinpoint mode with the Ace250 again and again...still learning it but I have found a couple of coins using this method that just didn't ring reliably and I otherwise would have hesitated to dig."
    Where is that located?

thanks
    Paul

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

Without going into great detail again, it's simple really.
    The ACE250, when in pinpoint, is not only working in non-motion, it's TRULY working in all-metal with NO discrimination and achieves greater depth of detection. Basically, I often hunt in pinpoint and once I center the coil on a target I HEAR, I release pinpoint and let the machine try and ID the target.
    Sometimes the ACE, in pinpoint, will find a target that when pinpoint in released gets NO ID...no ring...nada

Someone somewhere talked recently about modding the ACE with a manual threshhold and GB controls...now THAT'S something I am interested in!!

Another thing...when MANY targets are in a small area, running in pinpoint (even with the small coil) allows you to distinguish between individual targets easier.
    Riley Martin

Oct 2006
    Way Northern California
    Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
    18 times

Paul,

I was looking for the thread and noticed that Danimal beat me to the reply. Told you he's always willing to help.

At any rate, here's the thread:
    http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...c,52736.0.html

Oct 2006
    North Central Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    Without going into great detail again, it's simple really.
    The ACE250, when in pinpoint, is not only working in non-motion, it's TRULY working in all-metal with NO discrimination and achieves greater depth of detection. Basically, I often hunt in pinpoint and once I center the coil on a target I HEAR, I release pinpoint and let the machine try and ID the target.
    Sometimes the ACE, in pinpoint, will find a target that when pinpoint in released gets NO ID...no ring...nada

Someone somewhere talked recently about modding the ACE with a manual threshhold and GB controls...now THAT'S something I am interested in!!

Another thing...when MANY targets are in a small area, running in pinpoint (even with the small coil) allows you to distinguish between individual targets easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainplayer
    Paul,

I was looking for the thread and noticed that Danimal beat me to the reply. Told you he's always willing to help.

At any rate, here's the thread:
    http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...c,52736.0.html
    Thanks a heap the both of you for all your help
    I have noticed that I often pick up a signal in Pinpoint mode that wasn't there before say in Coin Mode and when I release Pinpoint, Coin Mode picks it up....

thanks again

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

48 hours and counting
    Riley Martin

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

This should be a fun Saturday hunt here, but I expect several things already:

for one, I am excited because my 12 yr old son Spencer will be with us, and he has only found one silver coin so far (in his Grandpa's f.yard) and he's looking forward to possibly his first merc, first buff, etc...
    Only problem is, his BH Fast Tracker does NOT get along well with my machine, and we have to be about 20-30 feet apart or else my machine goes insane. Maybe I'll spend the first few hours working with him helping him out. That may reduce my finds, but I think it's worth it. he and I will work on our game plan tonight over dinner.
    Riley Martin

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

15 hours and counting!!
    Riley Martin

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    18 times

Weekly Hunt#4 to the Iceberg-Totals so far-100+silver,20+Buffalos-2 Halfs-Morgan

I am starting a new thread because the old one was too large and took too long for some folks to load. I am SO excited and I may not even go back tomorrow, as my lower back is KILLING me and my right elbow's wasted (is there such a thing as detector elbow?)Anyways, Spencer and I went back to the Iceberg today and were joined shortly thereafter by Bob (Mirage) and Nate. I knew it might be a good day because Spencer and I both dug a Merc within the first few minutes we were hunting. Like a typical 12 yr old though, as my finds started accumulating and he didn't have coins jumping into his pouch, Spencer lost interest and spent the next 4 hrs or so just rummaging around the woods while the three of us hunted feverishly. Eventually, as Bob and Nate prepared to leave (with maybe 2 hrs of daylight remaining), Spencer started again in a new area and began finding silver and his excitement grew accordingly. He ended with 5 silver, including his first Merc (he had three) his first silver quarter and his first silver War Nickle. He also dug a nice religious medal, several cool marbles (they are scattered around the woods here) and an old lipstick case.
    I ended the day with 18 silver, which included 8 Mercs, 6 Rosies, two quarters and another silver War Nickle. Today I got one Buffalo Nickle, a 1934 in VF condition.
    Between us we dug 32 wheats, including many early dates (1-1910, 1-1912, 1-1915)
    I also dug a trade token from the Ivanhoe Restaurant/Theater in Chicago. I saw them online listed as vintage, but am unsure of it's age.
    I also dug a cool silver buttonf rom some British Military group with Latin around a picture of a guy on a horse spearing a dragon.
    As we were leaving, right at dark, I was passing a spot on a hill where a HUGE old aoak had fallen. I turned my ACE back on and scanned the depression near where the roots were and a LOUD signal rang out. I didn't even LOOK at the ID (it was almost dark anyways) and put the backpack down and fiched out my Lesche and didn't even bother digging a plug, just stuck it about 3-4" back from the pinpoint center and levered back and a BIG dark disk popped right out.
    1879 Morgan Dollar, my first silver dollar!!
    I can't find my camera, so these pics are with my Dad's, which I am unfamiliar with (sorry)

Hopefully Bob and Nate will post their finds soon...they both did great, and Bob found more big silver!

Oh..and BTW, I have heard it from Bob, Nate and others that I REALLY shouldn't be polishing my silver...and I KNOW that better coins as far as dates, etc, should be left as-is...and I am NOT going to polish the Morgan, so tonight all today's silver were left unpolished.

HH all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-4hunt 004.jpg 
Views:	10549 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	101789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-4hunt 006.jpg 
Views:	10430 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	101790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-4hunt 016.jpg 
Views:	10374 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	101791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-4hunt 018.jpg 
Views:	10315 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	101792  
    Riley Martin

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links