Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree502Likes

Thread: The Iceberg story- updated 2/23/07

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    139 times

Re: Return to the Iceberg on Saturday-Pinch Me I am dreaming!!

Quote from Mirage on old thread:

"Most excellent recovery dude! That is awesome. Makes my big silver look like chump change.

You know I went over by that area but didn't check that tree because you had previously mentioned that you checked it. I should have known better. It's really hard cause there are other "virgin" spots at this place and you hate to check over where someone else has been.

It really is neat to see this kinda stuff pop up. Makes you think of the possibilities.... Man, I want that V-Nickel.

Mirage

PS - Major thread lag. Looks like you gotta start a new thread or edit/delete some pics."

Bob...The first time I checked that tree, I don't know why but I actually checkked IN the depression (as if someone dropped coins during pre-historic times when that sucker sprouted)..LOL
    This time my intention was to check above the tree area towards the top edge of the hill...never made it that far.
    Also, your big silver is NOT chump change. I'd say between the two halves, they outweigh the Morgan

A2coins likes this.
    "The Beauvians are obviously reptilian"
    Riley Martin

Jul 2006
    Mountains
    21 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Danimal Awesome spot ... LoL .. the obvious eh? Those are some great digs. And that Morgan WoW that is sure a dream to see coming out of the ground. I don't know if that was a research spot or stumbled upon. However it went down, it sure was one sweet discovery.

Congratulations on that great pile of digs. Once you are finished, since I am sure there is probably more there, please give us an update post with final numbers from that wonderful spot.

Thank you,

Postalrevnant
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Oct 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    DFX
    36 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

That Morgan is truly an awesome find! Earlier that day we were laughing (or should I say I was) about the thought of finding a Morgan at that spot. It doesn't seem so impossible now that I really think about it. Yes, the higher denomination silver that we're recovering is just great. Can't stop thinking about this site now! lol I'll post my pics soon.
    A2coins likes this.

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    139 times

Well you know how it goes...I loaded up on Ibuprofen Sat. night and fueled the tank with a few beers and looked forward to a good night's sleep with visions of silver coins dancing in my head.
    Woke up at 10, and went and saw Spencer sawing wood and twitching all over, in the middle of deep sleep. I then thought of the relaxing day ahead...maybe a nice long hike with the dog and Spencer, followed by more beer and the Browns game.
    Suddenly, Spencer pops up outta bed at 11 and says 'let's go get em!"
    I said "you gotta be kidding me!" and, seeing he wasn't, started prepping gear and packing lunch. Since it's a good drive and since I had to have him home to his Mom in Cleveland at 6pm, I knew it would be a short hunt at the Iceberg. We arrived at 12:30 and hunted till 4:15.
    Spencer was so thrilled with his finds he took them to show his Mom, so I won't be able to post pics until Tuesday when I see him next ("shared parenting" sux). He asked me to list what he found today though. We both worked a slightly different area, but really, most all these finds at the Iceberg have been found within maybe an acre of each other. My guess is now that there must have been a concession stand or something here judging by the sheer number of coins and also plenty of rusty nails. No foundation is evident thus far.
    I found this afternoon:
    *1908 V Nickle!!...only my second V, but in MUCH better shape than the one I found 5 months ago. The soil here is VERY nice to nickles.
    *2-Buffalos, one undated and one 1917D in F condition...kinda a good date, worth perhaps $35.00
    *3-War nickles, 2-1943Ps, one 1943S
    *1939 silver Canadian dime (my first)
    *1957 Rosie
    *1940 Jefferson Nickle in great shape
    *7 wheats
    *neat play quarter with horse heads logo
    Spencer's finds:
    *2-Mercs, a 37 and 40
    *2- Buffalos, 1917 and 1920
    *2-War Nickles, both 1943P
    *8 wheats

this place is like no other I have seen or read about, outside of stories in old W&E magazines I bought on Ebay!!

We'll keep working her until she quits coughing up coins!
    HH all!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-5hunt 001.jpg 
Views:	10022 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	101886  
    A2coins likes this.
    Riley Martin

Sep 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    35 times

Back from the Berg - 10 more silver

Saturday was a great day for hunting and the finds were good as well. Scored my second Walking Liberty Half.
    Also found some decent mercs, a couple silver rosies, 22 wheat pennies, lots of marbles(Dan says I am always loosing them) and two buffalo nickels. I was a little disappointed with the Buffalo Nickels as both were without dates. :P Couldn't get back Sunday as family duties bekoned.

HH all. Good luck.

Mirage

A2coins likes this.
    Minelab Exp II, Whites DFX, Whites Classic III(former Tejon, CoinStrike & Quattro user)

Sep 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    35 times

Re: Return to the Iceberg on Saturday and Sunday-Iceberg tops 100 silver!!

First off - Smokin finds!! But.....don't let Nate sway you to not polishing your finds.... Silver Rosies and most Mercs look better cleaned(even polished) and really do not loose any of their value. I thought your Buffalos turned out great with the Blue Majic.

So when are you going to teach me how to find V-nickels? I'm telling you I need a different detector or maybe a better spot. I did find 6 jefferson nickels Saturday. One was a 1939, four were forties and one a 1960. Guess I'm just off about 25 years.
    A2coins likes this.
    Minelab Exp II, Whites DFX, Whites Classic III(former Tejon, CoinStrike & Quattro user)

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    139 times

Re: Back from the Berg - 10 more silver

Bob!
    First of all I'd like to say that since meeting you here on TN I have greatly enjoyed yours and Nate's company and help!
    I would also like to say that the quality of your find photos has inspired me to do a better job on my pictures.
    Something says that you have enjoyed my pictures as well (the wheat-arch lol)

Great digs, and sorry you couldn't make it today to the 'Berg, but there seems to be plenty more there waiting. Let's discuss next weekend's attack. I have ALL kinds of whacky ideas!!
    And at least you FOUND your marbles after losing them.
    A2coins likes this.
    Riley Martin

us
    Oct 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    DFX
    36 times

My finds from the Iceberg on Sat. - 10 silver

Hey guys, we had a great day at the "iceberg" on Saturday. My finds for the day (10 silver) include 5 mercs, 2 silver rosies, 2 silver silver quarters, and a war and a buffalo nickel. Also eyeballed 5 marbles, and got 14 wheats. Only got 5 coins that weren't silver or wheats. Oh, and I'm almost positive I found a steel 1943 cent. The thing looked just like a rusty washer when I found it but after I washed it, you can make out a rim along the outside of it. It's just a tad bigger than a penny but that makes sense with all the rusty buildup on it. Anyway, can't wait for the next time to have the Iceberg again! HH!

The proposed steel cent is on the left.

A2coins likes this.

us
    Apr 2006
    Michigan
    25 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: My finds from the Iceberg on Sat. - 10 silver

Hi Nate

Wow, you guys really killed em at the Iceberg,
    keep going there and getting all those great finds, congrats!!

Smiles!
    BDoo
    A2coins likes this.
    "I'm a finder, not a loser!"

Sep 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    35 times

Love that Buffalo Nickel. I sprinted ahead early in the day but you caught me at the end. I do think it is(was) a steel penny. Lots of 40's stuff so wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah, hard to wait for the next hunt....Dan's Morgan dollar really got me pumped!

Dad
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Oct 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    DFX
    36 times

Dude, that is sweet knowing that a V nickel has now surfaced. Good to see you both had a solid hunt. You know, it's like I really can't take in and comprehend all the excitement at once, until I'm at home, wishing I was hunting again, because it's like I'm in a trance, or a dream, when at the Iceberg.
    Dude- on cleaning the silver, I was actually tempted to just touch up a few of my mercs with some polish or something. I hardly EVER clean silver unless it looks disgusting, but you know, as long as it's light and all, I guess it can't hurt. I just wouldn't do it to every one. So yeah whatever seems best.
    A2coins likes this.

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    139 times

Here's a few better pics, including one of Spencer yesterday, and closeups of the V Nickle.

I will someday tell you the secrets of finding gold rings and V nickles Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-5hunt2 001.jpg 
Views:	9907 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	101895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-5hunt2 002.jpg 
Views:	9762 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	101896   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-5hunt2 003.jpg 
Views:	9710 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	101897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-5hunt2 004.jpg 
Views:	9664 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	101898  
    A2coins likes this.
    Riley Martin

Jul 2006
    Mountains
    21 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

GOD yeah. I couldn't wait to get back out there either if it was me. You guys have really done very well there. And I see that you got some nice marbles as well. Think someone was trading marbles for silver up there and both of them just forgot to take either home LOL.

Congratulations great haul,

Postalrevnant
    A2coins likes this.

WoW Nate!!! What a day!

Awesome on the finds!!!!

Congrats! Nana
    A2coins likes this.

Jun 2006
    ohio river
    197 times

Re: Back from the Berg - 10 more silver

those marbles are nice, mostly ravenswood novelty and looks like a couple allies. those are usually classed as west virginia swirls. they are from the same dates as the coins 30-40s. theyre not too rare but at a show id put em in dollar each bin and would probably sell em..on ebay that lot you showed could easly open for $10.
    A2coins likes this.

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links