OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
11-11 AND 11-12 Iceberg Hunt. Updated with pictures from Sunday's hunt.

Well......
Got an early start today, figuring it gets dark so darn early lately. Weatherman said rain and dropping temps today. I arrived at the Iceberg about 7:30am, before Mirage and Nate arrived and started to set up. I brought along a 10x6' tarp and some bungees and I cleared an area of leaves where I had found a War Nickle and Buffalo right before dark last week and strung up the tarp in the trees to create a dry(er) area and decided to kinda 'camp out" today and really work the area clear of all signals (still lots of nails and other rusty crap in the ground here). It took me a while to get going as it was already raining steady and this spot was LOADED with tree roots, so I also brought along my folding Craftsman pruning saw and began literally cutting an approx 4'x6' area clear of roots. Before my detecting comrades arrived I had only found two wheats and was already wondering if I took all that time setting up in a crappy spot.
Bob and Nate arrived a tad after 8 and they weren't there 10 minutes when I got a strange signal that really ID'd as ferrous but once in a swing clicked over to coin. I asked Bob to bring the heavy artillary over (his ML EXII) and see what it said before I dealt with the arm-sized root that was covering the pinpoint. Mirage took a minute and said iron, shrugged his shoulders and walked a away a few yards. I swung the ACE over it again and got another pop of the ring tone that said coin, but this time it ID'd between 1/2 and dollar coin. I hacked down and was about to hack again with the Leche but decided to bring my Whites pinpointer to bear and the sucker vibrated strongly. I reached into the hole(maybe 5-6" deep) and wiped some dirt away to see a beautiful silver reeded edge staring up at me. I called Bob over and dug a bit more dirt away and pulled out a 1935 Walker!! (my second Walker)
That was a hell of a way to start this dreary wet and muddy day. Frequent coffee and food breaks (with Ibuprofen boosts) helped a lot. Later on I dug a SLQ as well (again, my second ever) and a good amount of other silver too!
Totals for me today were
-3 Mercs
-2 Rosies
-SLQ and 1945 Washington
-2 War Nickles (my first 1944)
-1 1934DBuffalo in VF (full horn)
also a few early 40's Jeffersons and I think about a dozen wheats, with 2-1916's
This, along with the silver Mirage and Nate dug, probably puts us over 120 silver from the Iceberg in 4 weekends. We'll get a final tally once the snow flies and the ground freezes. I might be back tomorrow, but these hunts are taking their toll on my body. I spent all last week in pain with a pinched nerve in my neck and upper back no doubt caused and aggravated by all this digging. (I am NOT complaining...I was THERE all day today wasn't I??..in the rain and mud!)

Attachments

• 11-11hunt 017.jpg
    11-11hunt 017.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 9,598
  • 11-11huntthreeamigos.JPG
    11-11huntthreeamigos.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 9,285
  • 11-11hunt 022.jpg
    11-11hunt 022.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 9,338
  • 11-11hunt 021.jpg
    11-11hunt 021.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 9,398
  • 11-11hunt 020.jpg
    11-11hunt 020.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 9,431
  • 11-11hunt 018.jpg
    11-11hunt 018.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 9,511
OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Re: Return from the Iceberg. Sloshing in the mud and rain and MORE big silver!!

few more pics

Attachments

• 11-11hunt 027.jpg
    11-11hunt 027.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 9,140
  • 11-11hunt 026.jpg
    11-11hunt 026.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 9,167
  • 11-11hunt 025.jpg
    11-11hunt 025.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 9,182
  • 11-11hunt 024.jpg
    11-11hunt 024.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 9,226
  • 11-11hunt 023.jpg
    11-11hunt 023.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 9,277
  • 11-11hunt 028.jpg
    11-11hunt 028.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 9,096

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dan,

Looks like you, Mirage and Lance had a very nice day despite the rain. Awesome finds! Now what kind of spider is that? It sure is colorful.

;) RR

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

River Rat said:
Dan,

Looks like you, Mirage and Lance had a very nice day despite the rain. Awesome finds! Now what kind of spider is that? It sure is colorful.

;) RR

Dunno what kind of spider, but we saw two of them like that today. Nate commented that it looked like the one that bit Peter Parker!

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exhausting hunt at the Iceberg, but still reaping silver!

Hey guys. Man what an exhausting day. I've never been so exhausted MDing EVER. I'm not complaining though, cause the finds are still coming as a result. Anyway, I got a 1936 quarter and a 1964D dime. Also a cool looking button and four marbles. This site is kinda tricky to figure out sometimes. One day you get 10 silver, another only 2. Still, it's hard to find this stuff anywhere else so if extreme physical labor is what it takes, then that's fine with me. Had a good time, despite it all, and the rain. If anyone recognizes the button, I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks, HH all!

Nov11A.jpg

Nov11B.jpg

Nov11C.jpg

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 11-11 Iceberg Hunt. Sloshing in the mud and rain and MORE big silver!!

Great finds for this rainy day here in Ohio. Dan, can I suggest something for your ACE 250. My partner and I both use the SunRay Probe on our ACE's. It is by far one of the greatest probes on the market. I know $179 sounds like a lot of money and it is, but once you use this fine probe, you will never leave home without it. It fits right on your detector and works off the batteries on your detector. It really is a great help and if you do decide to upgrade to another Garrett, you can use it on several models.

The post and most of the posts I have put on this forum this year are all finds using the ACE 250. Some of my water finds I use a Tesoro Tiger Shark. But all my land finds were with the ACE.

Great finds you guys and keep us posted, also thanks for the great pictures.

HH, Ringfinder,

P.S. mmmmmmmmmmmm wonder when Mirage is going to get a ACE 250 haha

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Exhausting hunt at the Iceberg, but still reaping silver!

once again thats some amazing finds
you really have an axesome site

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

I kept offering you coffee Nate, but until I basically handed you a cup and said "drink this!" you said no thanks!...remember, coffee's legal!!

You're right though...today's conditions were way less than easy and sometimes the 'Berg just teases you.

I commend you for sticking with it and being patient.!!

I like that solid yellow marble!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Sweet Buffalo Nickel Dan! ;D And the half ain't too bad either. :D You know I let you have that one. I didn't want to be too greedy.... I did do good on the Buffaloes. Came home with 5 for the day. :)

And for the record - I had a hard time getting my large coil in that hole. If I would have had on the small coil I most likely would have heard what you did. And there was a large iorn target right next to it. But none-the-less I still was impressed by your ability to pick that out and dig it.

Man, It took me a good half hour to clean up all the mud. Not the best conditions but the finds were worth it. I'll post my stuff tomorrow.

Later

Bob

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice button and great silver Nate. Can't help you on the button, but I bet someone on here will come up with the answer.

HH<Ringfinder

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

I am very familiar with the Sunray probe, and Mirage uses one on his EXII, but I'll stick with the pinpointer for now. The only real advantage to the Sunray is the additional depth it gives (as well as ID function) when looking into an already-deep hole.
Before I ante up for one, I'll upgrade my detector to probably a ML EXSE

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2

Danimal, once again I'm amazed at your finds. Thanks for posting the pics of you, Mirage and Nate and all of that great old silver. I can only hope.

If that was taken at the Iceburg, I've got to admit it isn't anything like I pictured. I guess I thought it would be more of an overgrown field, but I guess I'm forgetting how time changes things. So thanks again for posting, it really helps bring your experiences closer to home for all of us on TNet.

So, do you consider a probe a necessity?

MP

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

mountainplayer said:
Danimal, once again I'm amazed at your finds. Thanks for posting the pics of you, Mirage and Nate and all of that great old silver. I can only hope.

If that was taken at the Iceburg, I've got to admit it isn't anything like I pictured. I guess I thought it would be more of an overgrown field, but I guess I'm forgetting how time changes things. So thanks again for posting, it really helps bring your experiences closer to home for all of us on TNet.

So, do you consider a probe a necessity?

MP

MP...I don't really consider the Sunray probe a neccessity (although they ARE nice), but a good pinpointer is a critical part of successful hunting. The few hunts where my pinpointer broke down I was kinda lost.
They enable you to determine where in the hole the coin is located when the plug is pulled if the coin's still in the hole, WITHOUT damaging the coin. they also allow a quick recovery from the plug if the coin's in the plug. Also help finding the coin in a pile of loose dirt.
In 8 months I have gone through 3 pinpointers. The switches break :-\I am currenlt using a WHites 1200mm Bullseye. They can be had on Ebay for 50-60 bucks.
The Sunray probe uses the main units battery power and is mounted on the main unit and attached by a cord. When you want to pinpoint, you throw a switch on the Sunray's "box" and now the Sunray's probe is basically your coil. In fact, in the end of the Sunray's probe IS a small coil. It has about a 3-4 inch range and whatever it reads shows on your main unit's ID screen and you hear the main unit's normal tones through your headphones (you ARE using headphones I hope :))
Other probes are 9V battery stand alone units that either sound a tone or vibrate when the target is within a few inches of it's tip. Pinpointers have adjustable sensitivity.
Get on. Get one NOW. ;)

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.

Fantastic finds!Great job on the recovery of that Walker.The Ace is doing a nice job of target seperation.I'd gladly trade you the rain for the 11 inches of snow we got here on Friday.
Hope you get in some more time at that site before the snow flies your way.
Another great post and pics. Best of luck!

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Dan I don't know if you noticed, but your SLQ has an S mintmark (to the left of the foot). I know it doesn't mean a whole lot without the date, but between me and Mirage, we've both got a lot of wheats and Buffs with mint marks from this site. Mirage just cleaned a 1920-S buff. Good luck if you go back tomorrow.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Nate in Ohio said:
Hey Dan I don't know if you noticed, but your SLQ has an S mintmark (to the left of the foot). I know it doesn't mean a whole lot without the date, but between me and Mirage, we've both got a lot of wheats and Buffs with mint marks from this site. Mirage just cleaned a 1920-S buff. Good luck if you go back tomorrow.

yeah I noticed the S mintmark Nate...and I also noticed that the Redbook shows high values for all S mintmark SLQs...darn though this ones beat to hell...gouged on the reverse (not by me) and a big dent on the rim too.
still...it's my second SLQ and one of the coins I really wanted from the 'Berg!

We'll see how my neck feels in the morning.
Who am I kidding...I'll prob. sleep in a bit and go on and dig some more.

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

Well shut my mouth, that place should have the word "bank" in it's name. I rarely find such killer spots and am jonesing for some good digs. I froze today and came back empty-handed.

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Great finds Nate!

In the pic in Danimal's thread I was thinking how exhausted you looked. :) Been there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread