Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 80
  1. #41
    um
    Jan 2010
    F-75, CZ-20, Troy Shadow
    121
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    I think it's a banner find. I have been hunting for 20 years or more and I have only found a few carved bullets. And it's always a real kick when I do because of how rare they are to find. None of the one's I have found are as nice as yours Quindy. You got my vote!
    Seabiscuit

  2. # ADS
    Ads

    TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

  3. #42
    us
    NJ

    Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000
    3,214
    90 times
    Metal Detecting

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Quindy,
    Congrats on an awesome d...love the acorn and my banner vote is in.

    I just checked the top ten list and even though I have never hunted in TN apparently I'm the 5th most interesting relic hunter in TN...odd how something work out.

    NJ

  4. #43
    us
    Apr 2010
    NC
    Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
    553
    60 times
    Relic Hunting

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    What a cool find, that is awesome.
    Dwight S
    Anyone up for some Dirt Fishin?

  5. #44

    Aug 2006
    477
    100 times

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Nice find, Definitely looks like a carved corps badge.
    -Ev

  6. #45
    us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    12,716
    72 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    CONGRATULATIONS ON THE [size=40pt]BANNER[/size]



  7. #46
    us
    Feb 2006
    Tennessee
    Minelab EXPLORER SE
    3,968
    146 times
    Banner Finds (2)

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    It's banner time in Tennessee. Congratulations on a stellar find.
    Dman

  8. #47

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Please educate me. Is this a banner find because it is a nicely carved bullet or is there significance to the acorn shape? It really is a beauty!
    If the elevator tries to bring you down, go crazy, punch a higher floor!

  9. #48
    us
    Jun 2009
    Long Island E-end
    Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
    2,805
    63 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Very unique find looks good on top. Jim
    If Mother Earth give,s us precious metals like gold silver copper and iron why leave them in the ground to disappear forever , dig them out and save History !!

    4-12-2011 Retired from the Rat Race by Choice

  10. #49

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Quindy,
    Congrats to a well deserved BANNER CW find. That piece even looks better up top.
    Great piece of history. I can almost picture a CW soldier sitting around a fire carving it, wondering what the next day will be like.
    Well done,
    Dug

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack Link.jpg 
Views:	3479 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	57304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack Link.jpg 
Views:	3424 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	569800  
    *Oldest coin-1775 Spanish 1 real *Oldest U.S. silver-1833 Capped Bust Half Dime *Oldest U.S.copper-1847 Large cent *Best Civil War finds:*NC officers belt buckle *CSN Confederate Navy Officer button *Eagle Sword Belt Plate

  11. #50
    us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    12,716
    72 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Quote Originally Posted by romeo-1
    Please educate me. Is this a banner find because it is a nicely carved bullet or is there significance to the acorn shape? It really is a beauty!
    Oh yes, significance AND shape Romeo...very rare find!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images        

  12. #51
    Charter Member

    Jan 2007
    Northern Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    4,346
    1045 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Quote Originally Posted by romeo-1
    Please educate me. Is this a banner find because it is a nicely carved bullet or is there significance to the acorn shape? It really is a beauty!
    Both Romeo. Carved bullets are found in a ratio of about 1 to 200 that you dig here in Tennessee. Bored soldiers carved them in camps. Just because you can see knife marks on them doesn't mean they were carved. You find more "whittled" than carved on bullets like a bullet cut in half. It's rare to find one like this as it happens to be the same shape as a U.S. CW "Corps" badge. The corps of the Union adopted symbols used as corps badges during the war. Note the page from Time Life Books that I attached. This one happens to be the same symbol of the U.S. 14th Corps which was stationed close by here early in the war. However as Zaxfire's info. shows, the 14th corps did not FORMALLY adopt the acorn as their corps badge until they were stationed near Chattanooga, TN (over 120 miles away) in late 1863. This camp was used in mid to late 1862. We will never know for sure who carved it. The "acorn" is .680 in. diameter. Most you see are carved from a .58 cal. 3 ring bullet so the relic dealers told me. Thanks for looking and HH, Quindy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corps Badges (495x640).jpg 
Views:	3482 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	569805  
    Everyone will make a good find on occasion. The challenge is to find CW relics consistently.

  13. #52
    Charter Member

    Jan 2007
    Northern Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    4,346
    1045 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Quote Originally Posted by ModernMiner
    Quindy,
    Congrats to a well deserved BANNER CW find. That piece even looks better up top.
    Great piece of history. I can almost picture a CW soldier sitting around a fire carving it, wondering what the next day will be like.
    Well done,
    Dug

    I can't tell you how many times I have regretted letting TENN JOSH make that pic last winter as you and Nana continue to edit it-LOL. Thanks MM, Q.
    Everyone will make a good find on occasion. The challenge is to find CW relics consistently.

  14. #53

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Quote Originally Posted by VOL1266-X
    Quote Originally Posted by ModernMiner
    Quindy,
    Congrats to a well deserved BANNER CW find. That piece even looks better up top.
    Great piece of history. I can almost picture a CW soldier sitting around a fire carving it, wondering what the next day will be like.
    Well done,
    Dug
    I can't tell you how many times I have regretted letting TENN JOSH make that pic last winter as you and Nana continue to edit it-LOL. Thanks MM, Q.
    HA! Jack Wagon has a picture file on all of us Q! You never when or how he will use them!
    Congrats on making Banner!

  15. #54
    us
    Nov 2008
    NW NJ
    Whites IDXPro
    1,493
    27 times

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Congrats on making the Banner with one of the coolest things I ever saw, ! When I see stuff like that I think about when the guy was actually doing the carving it and what was going on around him at the time, nice piece of History, !

    TommNJ

  16. #55
    Charter Member

    Jan 2007
    Northern Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    4,346
    1045 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    A BIG thank you to all who looked, replied, and voted on the acorn for banner. I attached a pic of a dropped .69 cal. 3 ringer that I dug from that same CSA camp and the carved tooth came from within one hundred yards or so from where I dug the acorn bullet. I believe the .69 cal. 3 ringer is an Austrian but haven't measured it. I'm still trying to determine whether the acorn was just carved by a CSA Soldier or a captured U.S. 14th Corps symbol left in a Union cartridge box. Thanks for all your support, Quindy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CSA Cav. Camp.jpg 
Views:	3309 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	569894  
    Everyone will make a good find on occasion. The challenge is to find CW relics consistently.

  17. #56

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Well look at you! Way to go on the banner! And I'm sure there will be another up there before the season is over this year.
    I'll be nice since you are doing research for me today and NOT re-edit that photo again.

    CONGRATS!!

    Nana

  18. #57

    May 2005
    Maine
    Minelab Etrac Fisher F75 SE
    3,376
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Nice digs Quindy. And Congrats on making the banner. Looks good up there.

  19. #58
    us
    Jul 2010
    129

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Quote Originally Posted by VOL1266-X
    Quote Originally Posted by romeo-1
    Please educate me. Is this a banner find because it is a nicely carved bullet or is there significance to the acorn shape? It really is a beauty!
    Both Romeo. Carved bullets are found in a ratio of about 1 to 200 that you dig here in Tennessee. Bored soldiers carved them in camps. Just because you can see knife marks on them doesn't mean they were carved. You find more "whittled" than carved on bullets like a bullet cut in half. It's rare to find one like this as it happens to be the same shape as a U.S. CW "Corps" badge. The corps of the Union adopted symbols used as corps badges during the war. Note the page from Time Life Books that I attached. This one happens to be the same symbol of the U.S. 14th Corps which was stationed close by here early in the war. However as Zaxfire's info. shows, the 14th corps did not FORMALLY adopt the acorn as their corps badge until they were stationed near Chattanooga, TN (over 120 miles away) in late 1863. This camp was used in mid to late 1862. We will never know for sure who carved it. The "acorn" is .680 in. diameter. Most you see are carved from a .58 cal. 3 ring bullet so the relic dealers told me. Thanks for looking and HH, Quindy.

    Congratulations on the Banner. I'd have to say that you're splitting hairs however to the above reference between "Carved" and "Whittled" bullets. I've dug with alot of relic hunters over the years and they've all called them carved bullets the majority of the time, sometimes called them whittled but they've invariably always used the terms interchangeably. Some are just carved into pieces, others carved into Masterpieces such as chess pieces and corps badges but the term "carved" as in "carved up lead" has always been used to represent both.

  20. #59
    Charter Member

    Jan 2007
    Northern Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    4,346
    1045 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMan1
    Quote Originally Posted by VOL1266-X
    Quote Originally Posted by romeo-1
    Please educate me. Is this a banner find because it is a nicely carved bullet or is there significance to the acorn shape? It really is a beauty!
    Both Romeo. Carved bullets are found in a ratio of about 1 to 200 that you dig here in Tennessee. Bored soldiers carved them in camps. Just because you can see knife marks on them doesn't mean they were carved. You find more "whittled" than carved on bullets like a bullet cut in half. It's rare to find one like this as it happens to be the same shape as a U.S. CW "Corps" badge. The corps of the Union adopted symbols used as corps badges during the war. Note the page from Time Life Books that I attached. This one happens to be the same symbol of the U.S. 14th Corps which was stationed close by here early in the war. However as Zaxfire's info. shows, the 14th corps did not FORMALLY adopt the acorn as their corps badge until they were stationed near Chattanooga, TN (over 120 miles away) in late 1863. This camp was used in mid to late 1862. We will never know for sure who carved it. The "acorn" is .680 in. diameter. Most you see are carved from a .58 cal. 3 ring bullet so the relic dealers told me. Thanks for looking and HH, Quindy.

    Congratulations on the Banner. I'd have to say that you're splitting hairs however to the above reference between "Carved" and "Whittled" bullets. I've dug with relic hunters for years and they've all called them carved bullets the majority of the time, sometimes called them whittled but they've invariably always used the terms interchangeably.
    Thanks Dirtman1. Let me clarify what I meant. a "whittled" bullet simply has knife marks on it. I have always considered a "carved' bullet to be one where the soldier attempted to depict an object or animal. To your point, where do you draw the line between a "carved" bullet and soldier's art? I guess the price determines that because I saw a carved pig on a relic site bring $200 and I was told by another dealer that it sold for $1,000 the last time it changed hands. Go figure!!! Thanks for looking, Quindy.

    Thanks Jesse (Mainer) and I'm glad your boat survived the hurricane there. I'm looking forward to my Maine lobsters-LOL. Quindy
    Everyone will make a good find on occasion. The challenge is to find CW relics consistently.

  21. #60
    us
    Jul 2010
    129

    Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

    Quote Originally Posted by VOL1266-X
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMan1
    Quote Originally Posted by VOL1266-X
    Quote Originally Posted by romeo-1
    Please educate me. Is this a banner find because it is a nicely carved bullet or is there significance to the acorn shape? It really is a beauty!
    Both Romeo. Carved bullets are found in a ratio of about 1 to 200 that you dig here in Tennessee. Bored soldiers carved them in camps. Just because you can see knife marks on them doesn't mean they were carved. You find more "whittled" than carved on bullets like a bullet cut in half. It's rare to find one like this as it happens to be the same shape as a U.S. CW "Corps" badge. The corps of the Union adopted symbols used as corps badges during the war. Note the page from Time Life Books that I attached. This one happens to be the same symbol of the U.S. 14th Corps which was stationed close by here early in the war. However as Zaxfire's info. shows, the 14th corps did not FORMALLY adopt the acorn as their corps badge until they were stationed near Chattanooga, TN (over 120 miles away) in late 1863. This camp was used in mid to late 1862. We will never know for sure who carved it. The "acorn" is .680 in. diameter. Most you see are carved from a .58 cal. 3 ring bullet so the relic dealers told me. Thanks for looking and HH, Quindy.

    Congratulations on the Banner. I'd have to say that you're splitting hairs however to the above reference between "Carved" and "Whittled" bullets. I've dug with relic hunters for years and they've all called them carved bullets the majority of the time, sometimes called them whittled but they've invariably always used the terms interchangeably.
    Thanks Dirtman1. Let me clarify what I meant. a "whittled" bullet simply has knife marks on it. I have always considered a "carved' bullet to be one where the soldier attempted to depict an object or animal. To your point, where do you draw the line between a "carved" bullet and soldier's art? I guess the price determines that because I saw a carved pig on a relic site bring $200 and I was told by another dealer that it sold for $1,000 the last time it changed hands. Go figure!!! Thanks for looking, Quindy.

    Thanks Jesse (Mainer) and I'm glad your boat survived the hurricane there. I'm looking forward to my Maine lobsters-LOL. Quindy
    Yes Sir, the Price....it always comes down to the Money (as with Everything it seems)

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: Jan 09, 2012, 04:36 PM
  2. ALL Metal Hunt at CSA Cavalry Camp Today
    By VOL1266-X in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: Sep 18, 2011, 08:56 PM
  3. Interesting Carved Lead Find at an old CW camp today
    By MonkeyBoy in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Mar 11, 2010, 06:32 PM

Search tags for this page

acorn civil war pin
,
can an acorn nut be carved?
,

carved 14th corps badge

,

carved acorn

,
carved acorn rocks
,
carvings made by the civil war soldiers
,

civil war acorn bullet

,

civil war corps badge carved from bullet

,

www.picjac net.com

,

www.picjac.com

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3