Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I log onto T-net and what do I see? A carved acorn BANNER for my good friend Quindy!
C-O-N-G-R-A-T-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S!!!!!!!

A well deserved banner.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best I have seen! Great piece of american history and tells a story about camp life.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds. I never knew that soldiers would carve bullets, but I guess it makes sense. Probly just keeping their minds off of things when they had time to themselves. Looks like a very nice bullet, I wonder who actually carved it.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner and another awesome relic Quindy! :headbang: A Massachusetts Yankee (Hogge)

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Q!!! Congrats on the BANNER!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Breezie

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To avoid continually bumping this post back up, I'll say "thank you" for all your kind replies one last time. Although the captured 14th Corps badge possibility is intriguing, I now believe that it was carved by a CS Soldier and I'll tell you why. There are 2 reasons:
1. The few 14th Corps badges I have seen in relic books recovered from U.S. camps consistently emphasize the "cap" on the acorn. The one i dug does not.
2. The F75 gave a reading of "46" on the display with the acorn. A U.S..69 cal. 3 ringer here at that 6-7 inch depth would read a solid "56 or 58". CS lead doesn't read as high as U.S. here and it may relate to the purity of lead used as many bullets in this early camp were probably field molded there.
We will never know for sure I guess. Thanks everyone and HH, Quindy.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer find Quindy! The 14th Corps adopted the acorn because they were forced to eat them to stave off starvation during a campaign. At least that is what legend has it. That is a quality relic and one you will cherish. Thanks for showing it and congrats on the banner. Well deserved.
Mike

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen some cool carved CW bullets but that is one of the nicest. I've found several drops and some other great CW relics but am still searching for my first carved bullet.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a FANTASTIC dig! I just had to sneak online and congratulate you on such a great find. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I'd love to find a coffee can full of those acorns--ha! :icon_thumleft:

flatbuttonman

Dec 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
If you have followed my recent posts, you know that I (with Dman's help on Sunday) have been collecting iron relics for kids from a C.S.A. Cavalry Camp. I went back today and dug a few more. The non ferrous relics in the pic came from the same site this morning. I dug a flat button with intact shank and brass brad with the iron yesterday. The carved on .69 cal. 3 ringer looked odd. I sent pics to some relic friends and we all thought it looked like a crude carved bullet. I sent a pic to friends Tom Hays at Stones River Trading Company in Murfreesboro and Tennessee Digger. Both said "Turn it over, it's an ACORN" That never occurred to me. I have always wanted to dig one.
Tennessee Digger says I need to research where that group of Confederates were patrolling and fighting during 1862 as it could be a captured 14th U.S. Corps Badge. Notice the big untrimmed "sprues" on two of the balls-that was MM's CW lesson for today-LOL. Thanks for looking and HH, Quindy.
Update
In addition to Tennessee Digger (40 years digging experience) and Tom Hays, relic dealer (viewed bullet in person), Larry Hicklen from Middle Tennessee Civil War Relics has added his authentication to the soldier's art by viewing the bullet in person. I am disappointed that MM missed the chance to say "Even a blind hog will....you know. Q.
Wow!! nice carved, bullet I bet there is more there. Keep looking!!
flatbutonman

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just found a carved bullet with a piece added to it. was that stem added or is it carved from the original bullet.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
That still is one of the nicest carved bullets that I've ever seen!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread