Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Charter Member

Jan 2007
    Northern Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    1249 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

If you have followed my recent posts, you know that I (with Dman's help on Sunday) have been collecting iron relics for kids from a C.S.A. Cavalry Camp. I went back today and dug a few more. The non ferrous relics in the pic came from the same site this morning. I dug a flat button with intact shank and brass brad with the iron yesterday. The carved on .69 cal. 3 ringer looked odd. I sent pics to some relic friends and we all thought it looked like a crude carved bullet. I sent a pic to friends Tom Hays at Stones River Trading Company in Murfreesboro and Tennessee Digger. Both said "Turn it over, it's an ACORN" That never occurred to me. I have always wanted to dig one.
    Tennessee Digger says I need to research where that group of Confederates were patrolling and fighting during 1862 as it could be a captured 14th U.S. Corps Badge. Notice the big untrimmed "sprues" on two of the balls-that was MM's CW lesson for today-LOL. Thanks for looking and HH, Quindy.
    Update
    In addition to Tennessee Digger (40 years digging experience) and Tom Hays, relic dealer (viewed bullet in person), Larry Hicklen from Middle Tennessee Civil War Relics has added his authentication to the soldier's art by viewing the bullet in person. I am disappointed that MM missed the chance to say "Even a blind hog will....you know. Q.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carved Acorn at CSA CAv. Camp 9-20-11.jpg 
Views:	5458 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	568969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quindy\'s Acorn Bullet.jpg 
Views:	2976 
Size:	246.2 KB 
ID:	570802  
    Everyone will make a good find on occasion. The challenge is to find CW relics consistently.

us
    Feb 2006
    Tennessee
    Minelab EXPLORER SE
    171 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today--Authenticated + New Pic

That is one awesome find. Neat carved bullet and I am looking forward to Thursday.
    Dman
    (The most interesting relic hunter in the world)

I vote banner because it is a very rare find. Especially in Tennessee.

us
    Tennessee Digger

Sep 2011
    Tesoro and Troy Shadow
    323 times

Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today-My First!!!

Congrats on those finds! I love that acorn, that is a pretty rare find and should be a centerpiece in your growing collection. Donnie.......... who is the 2nd most interesting relic hunter in Tennessee!!!!!

us
    Relic hunter

Mar 2008
    Kentucky
    Whites
    125 times
    Relic Hunting

That is a Awesome find, I Love the Carved bullets and that is the first carved acorn i have seen (banner).

Bill

us
    Dec 2006
    Colonial Virginia
    Teknetics T2
    409 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

You can spend years looking at the red and blue lines of battle maps or read about troop movements in Civil War text books but nothing really compares to finding and holding an artifact that you know some soldier carved during his precious idle time.

That's the nicest carved bullet I've seen

Quindy,
    That carved acorn is a great find. One nut finds another.
    Honestly, that's the first acorn I've seen posted. Very cool. Carved bullet are my favorite lead to find.
    Congrats to you buddy.
    Hopefully you can get Dman out there soon. Maybe he'll find a carved golf ball?
    -Dug-
    *Oldest coin-1775 Spanish 1 real *Oldest U.S. silver-1833 Capped Bust Half Dime *Best coin - 1945 GOLD 2 1/2 peso *Best Civil War finds:*NC officers belt buckle *CSN Confederate Navy Officer button

us
    Oct 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    DFX
    3 times

Is there a reason for carving that into an acorn? Any significance, or just carved into a random object like an acorn? Pretty cool!

Jul 2010
    14 times

Wow that is the best one I've seen, BEAUTIFUL! That was an artist for sure, you know it took him awhile to make it. Killer find man. HH

us
    Nope, It doesn't make the list!

Jan 2005
    2 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Q,
    you might remember back in the spring I went to a CW show in Fredericksburg Va. And you might also rememeber that I told you about a carved cleaner bullet I saw there that I thought was the coolest thing in the whole damn show. You even knew who owned it and sent me a link to his website. It of course was an Acorn. Well yours is Bigger & Better! Congrats on such a great find! That's what you get for doing something good for the kids!
    Way to stick with a site you believe in when others told you to find another spot!
    You should post on here the picture of the "Golden" hills!

Charter Member

Jan 2007
    Northern Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    1249 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Dman
    That is one awesome find. Neat carved bullet and I am looking forward to Thursday.
    Dman
    (The most interesting relic hunter in the world)

I vote banner because it is a very rare find. Especially in Tennessee.
    I'm looking forward to the Tennessee Trio first Fall hunt too. Maybe Josh will buy our lunch-NOT. You are the most interesting "golf ball hunter" in the world as you have a lot of practice losing yours-LOL. Q.
    Quote Originally Posted by tennessee digger
    Congrats on those finds! I love that acorn, that is a pretty rare find and should be a centerpiece in your growing collection. Donnie.......... who is the 2nd most interesting relic hunter in Tennessee!!!!!
    He's not the first anyway Donnie. You probably are and Dman and I will fight over #2. Thanks for your help today. I'm sure glad you recently retired so you can i.d. our relics quicker now-LOL. As Modern Miner says, Stay thirsty my friend. HH, Quindy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nova treasure
    That is a Awesome find, I Love the Carved bullets and that is the first carved acorn i have seen (banner).

Bill
    Thanks Bill. I've seen them in books and one was on my wish list although I was doubtful that I would find one especially at a CS camp. Good luck this Fall in KY, Quindy.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyfresh
    You can spend years looking at the red and blue lines of battle maps or read about troop movements in Civil War text books but nothing really compares to finding and holding an artifact that you know some soldier carved during his precious idle time.

That's the nicest carved bullet I've seen
    Thanks Joey. It's crude but it's mine. HH, Quindy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ModernMiner
    Quindy,
    That carved acorn is a great find. One nut finds another.
    Honestly, that's the first acorn I've seen posted. Very cool. Carved bullet are my favorite lead to find.
    Congrats to you buddy.
    Hopefully you can get Dman out there soon. Maybe he'll find a carved golf ball?
    -Dug-
    Thanks DUG. I felt real stupid when they told me to turn it over. Before you say something cute, you got an early pic and missed it too-LOL. HH, Q.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate in Ohio
    Is there a reason for carving that into an acorn? Any significance, or just carved into a random object like an acorn? Pretty cool!
    Nate, I can't recall who made a reply to a recent post of mine or someone else's postwho said "Boredom, I've been a soldier for 14 years". However, I will research where the 14th Corps of the Yankee army was stationed (as Tennessee Digger suggested) to see if this large CS group happened to be in the same area. It could be they found it in a captured cartridge box from a 14th Corps soldier or just have been carved by a bored Confed ferate who was sitting under an oak tree. We will never know. Thanks for looking Nate and good luck in Ohio this Fall, Quindy.
    Everyone will make a good find on occasion. The challenge is to find CW relics consistently.

us
    Aug 2011
    Kingsport,TN
    Fisher(F75--LTD) Garret AT Pro

had to vote banner on that acorn..thats sweeeeeet
    just a pull tab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Fisher 1266, Fisher 1270, Whites TDI, Garrett AT Gold
    915 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Very cool carved acorn Quindy!

us
    May 2005
    Maryland
    MXT
    10 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Well , well Quindy, That is one marvelous specimen of a carved bullet.the detail is very good. Nice haul of lead there. That carved bullet will display very well in your collection.Congrats to you my friend!

us
    Mar 2011
    Southeast PA
    CZ-70
    Wishing this was my job.

wow something new everyday. Really nice find.

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    1249 times

sweet carved bullet

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors