VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you have followed my recent posts, you know that I (with Dman's help on Sunday) have been collecting iron relics for kids from a C.S.A. Cavalry Camp. I went back today and dug a few more. The non ferrous relics in the pic came from the same site this morning. I dug a flat button with intact shank and brass brad with the iron yesterday. The carved on .69 cal. 3 ringer looked odd. I sent pics to some relic friends and we all thought it looked like a crude carved bullet. I sent a pic to friends Tom Hays at Stones River Trading Company in Murfreesboro and Tennessee Digger. Both said "Turn it over, it's an ACORN" That never occurred to me. I have always wanted to dig one.
Tennessee Digger says I need to research where that group of Confederates were patrolling and fighting during 1862 as it could be a captured 14th U.S. Corps Badge. Notice the big untrimmed "sprues" on two of the balls-that was MM's CW lesson for today-LOL. Thanks for looking and HH, Quindy.
Update
In addition to Tennessee Digger (40 years digging experience) and Tom Hays, relic dealer (viewed bullet in person), Larry Hicklen from Middle Tennessee Civil War Relics has added his authentication to the soldier's art by viewing the bullet in person. I am disappointed that MM missed the chance to say "Even a blind hog will....you know. Q.

Attachments

• Carved Acorn at CSA CAv. Camp 9-20-11.jpg
    Carved Acorn at CSA CAv. Camp 9-20-11.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 6,875
  • Quindy\'s Acorn Bullet.jpg
    Quindy\'s Acorn Bullet.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 4,434

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
That is one awesome find. Neat carved bullet and I am looking forward to Thursday.
Dman
(The most interesting relic hunter in the world)

I vote banner because it is a very rare find. Especially in Tennessee.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today-My First!!!

Congrats on those finds! I love that acorn, that is a pretty rare find and should be a centerpiece in your growing collection. Donnie.......... who is the 2nd most interesting relic hunter in Tennessee!!!!!

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That is a Awesome find, I Love the Carved bullets and that is the first carved acorn i have seen (banner).

Bill

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can spend years looking at the red and blue lines of battle maps or read about troop movements in Civil War text books but nothing really compares to finding and holding an artifact that you know some soldier carved during his precious idle time.

That's the nicest carved bullet I've seen :icon_thumright:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven & Spartan shovels, Grey Ghost headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quindy,
That carved acorn is a great find. One nut finds another. :laughing7:
Honestly, that's the first acorn I've seen posted. Very cool. Carved bullet are my favorite lead to find.
Congrats to you buddy. :hello2:
Hopefully you can get Dman out there soon. Maybe he'll find a carved golf ball? :tongue3:
-Dug-

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is there a reason for carving that into an acorn? Any significance, or just carved into a random object like an acorn? Pretty cool! :headbang:

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

Wow that is the best one I've seen, BEAUTIFUL! That was an artist for sure, you know it took him awhile to make it. Killer find man. HH

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Q,
you might remember back in the spring I went to a CW show in Fredericksburg Va. And you might also rememeber that I told you about a carved cleaner bullet I saw there that I thought was the coolest thing in the whole damn show. You even knew who owned it and sent me a link to his website. It of course was an Acorn. Well yours is Bigger & Better! Congrats on such a great find! :headbang: That's what you get for doing something good for the kids! :thumbsup:
Way to stick with a site you believe in when others told you to find another spot!
You should post on here the picture of the "Golden" hills!

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dman said:
That is one awesome find. Neat carved bullet and I am looking forward to Thursday.
Dman
(The most interesting relic hunter in the world)

I vote banner because it is a very rare find. Especially in Tennessee.
I'm looking forward to the Tennessee Trio first Fall hunt too. Maybe Josh will buy our lunch-NOT. You are the most interesting "golf ball hunter" in the world as you have a lot of practice losing yours-LOL. Q.
tennessee digger said:
Congrats on those finds! I love that acorn, that is a pretty rare find and should be a centerpiece in your growing collection. Donnie.......... who is the 2nd most interesting relic hunter in Tennessee!!!!!
He's not the first anyway Donnie. You probably are and Dman and I will fight over #2. Thanks for your help today. I'm sure glad you recently retired so you can i.d. our relics quicker now-LOL. As Modern Miner says, Stay thirsty my friend. HH, Quindy.
nova treasure said:
That is a Awesome find, I Love the Carved bullets and that is the first carved acorn i have seen (banner).

Bill
Thanks Bill. I've seen them in books and one was on my wish list although I was doubtful that I would find one especially at a CS camp. Good luck this Fall in KY, Quindy.
joeyfresh said:
You can spend years looking at the red and blue lines of battle maps or read about troop movements in Civil War text books but nothing really compares to finding and holding an artifact that you know some soldier carved during his precious idle time.

That's the nicest carved bullet I've seen :icon_thumright:
Thanks Joey. It's crude but it's mine. HH, Quindy.
ModernMiner said:
Quindy,
That carved acorn is a great find. One nut finds another. :laughing7:
Honestly, that's the first acorn I've seen posted. Very cool. Carved bullet are my favorite lead to find.
Congrats to you buddy. :hello2:
Hopefully you can get Dman out there soon. Maybe he'll find a carved golf ball? :tongue3:
-Dug-
Thanks DUG. I felt real stupid when they told me to turn it over. Before you say something cute, you got an early pic and missed it too-LOL. HH, Q.
Nate in Ohio said:
Is there a reason for carving that into an acorn? Any significance, or just carved into a random object like an acorn? Pretty cool! :headbang:
Nate, I can't recall who made a reply to a recent post of mine or someone else's postwho said "Boredom, I've been a soldier for 14 years". However, I will research where the 14th Corps of the Yankee army was stationed (as Tennessee Digger suggested) to see if this large CS group happened to be in the same area. It could be they found it in a captured cartridge box from a 14th Corps soldier or just have been carved by a bored Confed ferate who was sitting under an oak tree. We will never know. Thanks for looking Nate and good luck in Ohio this Fall, Quindy.

tndigger2011

Aug 21, 2011
Kingsport,TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher(F75--LTD) Garret AT Pro

had to vote banner on that acorn..thats sweeeeeet

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool carved acorn Quindy!

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well , well Quindy, That is one marvelous specimen of a carved bullet.the detail is very good. Nice haul of lead there. That carved bullet will display very well in your collection.Congrats to you my friend!

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other

wow something new everyday. Really nice find.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sweet carved bullet :thumbsup:

GAOldsman

Mar 10, 2011
Perry, GA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome find especially if it is carved! :headbang: Banner for sure vote here!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

Very interesting find :thumbsup:

Blaze

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.

Hey Q.... the 14th corps were under General Thomas and consisted of all Illinois troops. They were in the area of Nashville and Murfreesboro so I'll bet that one of the Confederates picked it up in one of their camps or captured supplies. Good'un. Tennessee digger

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Carved Acorn from CSA Cavalry Camp Today-My First!!!-Authenticated

You know, when you sent me the email this morning I never thought about that being an acorn. I went back and looked at the pic upside down, and sure enough...it's an acorn?! :D You always find the neatest stuff Brad! :icon_pirat:

I'll vote on it too.

Nana :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread