Update...Find Of A Lifetime!!!!!! 1792 Half Disme!

Marc in VA

Jun 27, 2003
Stafford, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, 3 Minelab XS Explorers
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back in October 2006 My buddy Dale and I went relic hunting at a freshly cleared construction site. The first few hours were fairly productive as we were digging both union and confederate bullets and a few buttons. The finds were becoming few and far between so I decided to move on to another area of the large site. I saw an area that had many holes dug from the previous weekends hunters so I thought I would see if they had missed anything. Right away I dug a deep Gardner bullet, then another, and another. A foot away I received another bullet signal on my Explorer and I dug a hole fully expecting another Gardner. I was shocked to see a small silver coin on top of my dirt pile. I picked up the coin and first thought it was a Spanish half reale. Then I looked more closely and realized it was an American coin and then I saw the date 1792. I wasn't sure what I was holding but it was old. I knew I had seen the bust before but where. I flipped the coin over and found the reverse very worn but I thought for sure I could read Half Disme. I called my buddy over and we looked at my find for a few minutes and then went back to detecting. I tried hunting some more but I couldn't concentrate. I just had to know what I found. I walked to my truck and called my wife. I asked her to get my red book and look up the coin I had just dug. She said that the half dimes started at 1793. Thats when I realized what I had dug. I told her to go to the colonial section and she found it. When she told me what it was worth I about died. Needless to say my day of digging was over.
I spent the next few days searching the internet and learning about the history of the half disme. The half disme was the very first coin ever minted by the United States. The silver used in these coins was donated by George Washington mainly in the form of Martha's silver serving set. Three thousand 1792 half dismes were minted in a basement in Philadelphia. The US mint building was still under construction. After the coins were minted Thomas Jefferson personally took them to Monticello and then delivered them to George Washington at Mt. Vernon. From there George gave many to friends and dignitaries and many others were put into circulation. Between 250 and 300 1792 half dismes are known to exist today.
I never thought I would ever dig a very rare coin and I had no idea what to do. I consulted with many people and received lots of good advice. I first had it authenticated and then came the hard decision as to sell it or keep it. I knew that coin prices were at their peek and there was always the chance that more 1792 half dismes could be found and come on the market which would drop the price. I also thought that such an historical coin did nobody any good sitting in my safe. It needed to be in a major collectors collection or in a museum. I decided to consign my half disme to Stacks Rare Coins in NY City and it was auctioned off at the Baltimore Coin Auction in March. Do I regret selling it? Not really. I have the memories, the pictures, the Coin World article, and the W&ET Best Finds issues and award. My advice to anyone who digs a valuable coin or relic is this. Seek advice from reputable people. Dint rush into anything. Be prepared to make a very hard decision, to sell or not. And if you decide to sell do your homework. Ebay is not the place for rare coins. Go with a trusted and reputable auction firm such as Stacks. Thank you for looking and I hope everyone someday makes their find of a lifetime.

Marc

Attachments

• P1000069a.jpg
    P1000069a.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 15,205

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Find Of A Lifetime!!!!!! 1792 Half Disme!

Thanks Marc.

That is the Holy Grail of U.S. Coins !

You Must be Flying !

CONGRATS !

Jeff

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shes a beauty Marc!! wtg :) i love finds like that!! what a day buddy :)

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Marc, what a find. Make sure you submit it to best finds. Congrats on an outstanding find...Lance

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wanna go detecting with you!!!!! Please,pretty please! ;D ;D Sweet coin,Looks like one for the record books! Or at least "best finds"! Get that sucker graded and slabbed!Congrats.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outstanding! Sounds like the Holy Grail!

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota

Wow- a MDer making a profit!! ;D
Nice find- I would have been
doing a happy dance too-LOL
Congrats

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Congrats on a awesome coin.

That is for sure a find of a lifetime. Never seen one before today.

HH Jer

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Definately Submit it to W&E Right away !

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congratulations, Marc in VA, on a find of a lifetime. I bet you're floating on air right now. :o :o

Now.....what are you going to do with it? Keep it or sell it? ;)

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

Congratulations on the most amazing find I have ever seen on this site. Just holding that coin and knowing that Jefferson carried it is just amazing.

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other

That is definitely a find of a life time!! you did it bud and congratulations on a dig well done!
just remember to start breathing!! two thumbs up!!!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

H.S.! That's one of 1500? Hurry up and get that sucker graded! I'de love to see what it grades and what it's worth! Got any close ups or high res pics?

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bar none!!!! ...........That is one for the Tnet History Books! Great , Great Find......... :o :o :o

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Nice

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Holy $$ ;D$$$. A very rare coin. $10,000+. WOW. Now that is what you call treasure.

Thanks for posting.

Mirage

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I am pretty sure I would have still been passed out cold if I had found it....What an ultimate reward for you! You need to get that in Bests right now! Many Many congratulations !

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

Well, I think that qualifies as a magazine find :) To think Thomas Jefferson actually held that coin is history in itself. Congrats on that one. It will be hard to ever top that one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread