Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the mother load, awesome!!! Maybe you can research the site over winter and find out more about them. I thought my two cannon balls were great but 679, whoa, LOL! HH and a big congrats, Mike

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow.

I've got an area where three, (3) have been
found in the last 60 some years.

I would love to find the 4th.

You folks come up 679 :o

Again, Wow :o
Nice find.

have a good un....

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Cool finds indeed....but to me it looks like a win-win situation for you. If they are mill balls and not cannon balls they 1.) are still historic and; 2.) you must be pretty darn close to a big mine of some kind. I can't imagine that if they are mill balls that someone would just be carrying them around for something to do ;) . They were there for a purpose rather it was a Ammo depot or mill area of some sort still pretty cool to have and to have found. Post the pics of the area as long as it won't give the location away, else you might go back in the spring to an empty site. Like the others have said W& ET definitely.

Dave

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I thought that these had already been confirmed as projectiles. If not, maybe there's an easy way to settle this "Cannonball" vs. "Mill Ball" debate. From your other post, I know that you've weighed and measured the various sizes. Why not send the photos and specifications to Jack W. Melton, Jr., coauthor of Civil War Artillery Projectiles, and see what he says? I'm sure he'd be interested in your find... especially if the subject header for your e-mail is "679 Cannonballs Found!" There's also a ton of info on his website.

Address: [email protected]

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
I have a fair amount of mining in my background, and I'm thinking (contray to most) that these are milling balls. Thats primarily because of the different sizes. In milling rock different sizes are used with different size rock to be milled.

It's a very good find, but i would take care before offering for sale to finish the detective work

Congrats

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High adventure!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love some pics and history on the location. That is amazing. I have three cannonball s and it took me a good while to find those. Keep the information coming. Congrats. :)

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
whoa- sure you got enough? definitely "best finds" material and probably "most ambitious" as well.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't say it in my earlier post, so here it goes...

I'm GREEN with envy!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions