Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!!!!! I donl;t care if they are cannon balls or mill balls....AWESOME FIND!!!!!!!!!! 679 in one spot???? That has to be a record WTG!!!! and CONGRATS!!!! I don't know diddly about either but hope they are cannon balls rather than mill balls, but regardless, as an earlier poster stated...either way they are an awesome historical find....CONGRATS!!!! Hope you find plenty more when you get out there again, along with some gold coins to go with them...:):)

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Being found in the west, I doubt they're civil war era if they do prove to be cannonballs. Spanish origin? Maybe so... Mill balls? Probably 50/50 chance between the two theories so far. I'm leaning towards mill balls myself, too many different sizes for one location, possibly.

Any history of a fort in the general area? Something to substantiate the cannons? If not, then probably mill balls.

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
mlw67 said:
Very interesting to find 679 of anything.

Petrified prehistoric giant deer droppings?

LOL mlw ;D

Very awsome find regardless of intended use!!

wannadanc

Aug 30, 2006
Wettern WA State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
FWIW -

knowing NOTHING about the topic in this thread, I was curious and did a bit of "googling".

I don't know if the link I am going to post will be helpful, but there is a LOT of information here and maybe it will help you in determining the identity of your marvelous orbs.

http://www.cwbullet.org/-vp12039.html

HH and keep on swinging!

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
google search of '' civil war cannons wanted/for sale'' will show several sites that can authenticate these, and a couple of them will buy them straight out if actually cannon balls.....whatever they are,, great find, and you have to wonder, if they would go to so much trouble as to dig a hole big/deep enough just to bury the balls, wonder what other holes they dug for more important items there..........gldhntr

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
so you actually got to use a wagon on the wagon road huh? lol...... awesome find......i personally dont give a rip what they are i cant find anything but junk lately so i would love to find one of those no matter what it is

Marty

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Shouldn't be too hard to determine. Weigh and measure the balls and compare to cannon projectiles.

Congrats on the find!

Robert in SC

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job!

Looks like it was fun and profitable too! lol

HH

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread