679 Cannonballs found

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
My buddy and I like to follow old wagon trails by the base of the Yosemite and Sequoia Mountains. We always end up finding old coins and relics and this trip was the best so far.

We started walking on one of the wagon trail and after about a mile and a half from where my truck was parked we came across an old shed about 75 yards from the trail. At first it appeared to be just an old shed, but after looking at it better it looked like an old Spanish Ammo Stop or storage shed. It had three windows with iron rails across them and below the windows were rifle slits / openings. I noticed the inside framework had wood pegs holding it together not nails or bolts, so this would mean that it was probably built in the late 1700s to early 1800s but I'm not an expert on dating carpentry work. I wish I had my camera with me to show you all.

Anyway, I started using my Explorer SE with the Coiltek coil "Joey" next to the shed and hit the mother load. At first I thought it was gonna be scrap iron the way my detector was screaming, so I had my friend come over with my XLT and it was still sounding like a big piece of junk, but I dug it anyway. I started hitting ball after ball, hundreds and hundreds of them. I was finding them as deep as three feet down. I stayed and dug while my friend took my truck to buy a red wagon. Their was no way that I was going to carry these 1.5 miles to where my truck was. It still took 4 trips. We only took a small portion home with us. I got 679 and my friend only wanted 20 or so. He is not much of a collector. He uses my Whites because he don't have a unit. I will probably go back in the spring to get another batch of them, I hope my back is better by then.

Attachments

• cannonballs1.jpg
    cannonballs1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 17,224
  • cannonballs2.jpg
    cannonballs2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 16,825
  • cannonballs3.jpg
    cannonballs3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 16,922
  • cannonballs4.jpg
    cannonballs4.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 16,557
  • cannonballs5.jpg
    cannonballs5.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 16,515
  • cannonballs6.jpg
    cannonballs6.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 16,362
  • cannonballs7.jpg
    cannonballs7.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 16,427

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awsome Cache. at $100.00 each your Semi Rich !

Congrats !

P.S.
Don't Clean before Selling.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.......I'll bet that took a while to get to the truck.......Very nice !!!

Now with Christmas coming , you can start posting them on

E-bay and beat the Rush..........good luck! WTG :o

Do you have any Pictures of the site that would be great!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That is a really awesome batch of cannon balls.

Did you leave any behind. I'm sure there are still more in the area. They look great all cleaned up to.

HH Jer

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
Whoa!

Now there's a story that ought to be in Western & Eastern Treasures!

I agree !

OH & MERRY CHRISTMAS ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
ABE, How Many Pack Mules Did You Kill Hauling All Those Out Of The Mountains ? Congrats, That Has To Be The Best Cache Of Projectiles I Have Ever Heard Of. trk5capt...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my God! You know you've struck it rich when you need a wagon to carry your finds back home! LOL. Wonder if there are any old coins around there... Let us know how many more you find! Incredible. This should be in the "best finds" thread.

Buckleboy

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is crazy...freakin' unreal,Only 677 more than I could say I found....Awesome dig,couldn't imagine comin' across something like that....Unbelievable find's guy's.....That wouldn't be a Coke in the gold pan if I was in your shoe's....Can't wait to read the "magazine article"......Again Congrat's....

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
That surely has to be a record. Who can say they found 679 cannonballs with a straight face and mean it ? This has to be a record haul, one for the books for sure ! Congrats on that awesome find and I am sure a congrats is in order for one of the best finds of 2006 !!

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
truly amazing congratulations on the cannon balls..i have yet to find one so i can only imagine how it felt to dig SO many

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Well olde Abe you sure have a lot of balls.

I debated if I should post this BUT......
If these were found in Virginia no question but these were found
in the west. Is it a possibility that these are ball mill balls which were
used for grinding ore? Perhaps a weight and size investigation and a
reply by folks who are more knowledgeable on grape shot would be in order?

Great find
George

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You sure got balls...CANNONballs that is!!! I'm still trying to re-attach my jawbone...that is ONE fantastic cache you stumbled across!

I tend to agree with everyone else, keep about a hundred and sell the rest...maybe even give a few for Christmas presents (right Jeff) ;)

GREAT FIND!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread