Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a find of a lifetime fantastic :icon_thumleft: Congrats on the Banner !!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Damn. The govt across the pond does it right. Do you get market for the entire find or just the portion you dug up? Our idiots need to take a lesson from you guys. Nice find.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: Very Sweet Find!! :icon_thumleft:

Steve

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold
Congratulations on an amazing find! Cheers!! :occasion14:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
David, this is one of the coolest things i have ever seen on here.

Congratulations of your fantastic finds and your contribution to history.

This is the best hobby in the world.

sniper100

Jan 1, 2010
Gol Blimie from a Yank who lived in Grundsburg for three years serving in the U.S. Air Force. Wish I was you. Thanks for finding history and letting everyone see it.

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
... keep a close eye on the diggers, anything significant, ask to picture. It shouldn't take months, unless they are out of practice... :icon_scratch:
I don't think they're out of practice, no, its just that I (we) think its a bigger site than first imagined, the floor (or collapsed wall) extends well beyond our 'small' 2m trench, they're going to do some geophys on the area soon, possibly in the next field too. One idea being suggested is that it could have been a Forgers dwelling, especially as a lot of the coin dies are identical. It would be very unusual to have so many identical dies in a straight forward hoard someone had collected.
Will keep you informed!
Sill snowing heavily!

Last edited:

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
What can anyone say? WOW!!! You did the right thing by reporting the find and this can only increase your and other detectorists credibility with the archealogical folks. Most of them seem to frown on detectorists. So, who gets to keep what?
Congratulations.

Wildcat

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go :icon_thumleft: Wot! Wot! :o
Congrats on your discovery, Now go find another while the Archies are gathering up your treasure. :icon_sunny:

GG~

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations and well done David, I will be keeping my eyes open for any news reports on this.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Well done mate :o Something the rest of us can only dream about :notworthy:

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
DavidBeard said:
cdltpx said:
By all means this is beyond banner it should be featured in treasure hunting magazines. Great find congrats you deserve a new detector.
I think the Museum will be releasing a story to the press as soon as they know for sure what type of building I've discovered - It will need a bit more digging yet, I'm sure the 'Treasure Hunting' magazines will do a story too but not for a few months yet -
Watch this space!!!
I think you found a bank :laughing9:.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That is a awesome hoard man.

Congrats I bet there is more also.

HH Jer

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Very Cool ! :headbang: Congrats on the hoard & the banner (& ?) ! :headbang: WTG. :headbang:

TommNJ

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DavidBeard said:
CRUSADER said:
... keep a close eye on the diggers, anything significant, ask to picture. It shouldn't take months, unless they are out of practice... :icon_scratch:
I don't think they're out of practice, no, its just that I (we) think its a bigger site than first imagined, the floor (or collapsed wall) extends well beyond our 'small' 2m trench, they're going to do some geophys on the area soon, possibly in the next field too. One idea being suggested is that it could have been a Forgers dwelling, especially as a lot of the coin dies are identical. It would be very unusual to have so many identical dies in a straight forward hoard someone had collected.
Will keep you informed!
Sill snowing heavily!
[youtube=425,350]vootCGUnFDY[/youtube]

If it were silver plated Denarius, we were taking about, then forgery might be a possibility, but those types of coin are more commonly associated with local economies making do with a lack of supply. Therefore, an acceptable means of plugging the shortfall. So I don't really go along with the Forger theory, just yet.

The Geophysics should show up plenty & yes if its an extended dig (unusual but welcome in this climate, due to lack of offical funding) then it could take some time. It will be an enjoyable project I'm sure & something I plan to do on a site we have :icon_thumright: Plenty of free help out there :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread