My Find of the Year: Gold Civil War Ring (Updated 2 new pictures)

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: My Find of the Year: Gold Civil War Ring

Wow! Beautiful ring!

Do you know anything else?

IDing the boat based on that tiny little "artist's rendering" will be tough. I spent a few minutes looking at pictures and drawings of early sidewheel steamers. Not many have the funnels right at the wheel and many have a visible walking beam on top(not seen on your ring). The stacked decks might indicate a river or lake boat (not ocean going) and would also rule out a gunboat. Another indication is the masts don't look like they are rigged for sails (also very common based on what I saw). Again, it's a rendering and may not be very accurate.

You may get further finding out who camped at the location and trying to get a list of officers names. I would guess that only a ship's owner or captain would have such a ring. Plenty of those types of records available...

Keep us posted.

DCMatt

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is a pic of the Waverley built in 1946. It is a copy of the original Waverley that was built in 1899. Looks very similar to the one depicted on your ring. They are ocean-going. The original Waverley was even used during WWll as a minesweeper and was sunk trying to evacuate troops from Dunkirk. I'm sure the one on your ring isn't the Waverley but I think you should not eliminate ocean-going in your search. Beautiful ring!

Attachments

• waverley.jpg
    waverley.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 16,720

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very well done, a great find, is it a Museum Piece. :o

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Amazing find but I am curious...how do you know it's a CW ring?

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The ring in all probability had a photograph of a loved one in it. (tintype) Photography at that time had developed wonderful miniature images that would have fit in the ring quite easily. The ring probably belonged to a merchant or an officer. Someone of means.Wonderful museum piece when combined with the history of where it was found and the events that occurred in that locality. (And no, I do not think it was as some say a poison ring.)
Steamboats came in a vast number of configurations. The boat depicted on the ring is probably stylized.
DG

D

dugupfinds

dg39 said:
The ring in all probability had a photograph of a loved one in it. (tintype) Photography at that time had developed wonderful miniature images that would have fit in the ring quite easily. The ring probably belonged to a merchant or an officer. Someone of means.Wonderful museum piece when combined with the history of where it was found and the events that occurred in that locality. (And no, I do not think it was as some say a poison ring.)DG

Dg - maybe you could help develop my thoughts on this one?
I don't think it looks typically Victorian, I think it looks more Georgian. So maybe it is late Georgian/Early Victorian? See link of the type of styling I am talking about:

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=2131&sort=2&cat=115&page=2

Now if the the date of the ship is later (which I'm guessing) then it may have been blank for awhile?

Thoughts?

Great find - keep us updated.

Has it got a hallmark?

OP
OP
R

Rusty in Tenn

I'm going to try to answer as many of the questions as possible as I like everyone else is just guessing at the biggest part of this.
As far as Karat goes I do not know, nor does the ring have a halmark.
As I stated in the original post it was found within 15 feet of 3 louisiana cuff buttons and another of the cuff buttons was found at this site on an earlier hunt.
The ring was found in East Tennessee
I'm like everyone else, I didn't notice it til I took the closeups but I too agree the inside of the ring almost resembles a face.
I am going to try to take another picture of the face blew up even more as a steamboat expert thought the 4 marks on the wheel may be initials which might help ID the boat.
Also I have looked at pictures of steamboats for hours on end and have not found a match picture wise so far but would think if someone went to enough trouble to have it hand engraved it would have to be pretty close to what the boat looked like. Plus having a ring custom made with gold and silver inlay and finely detailed would have costed a pretty penny back then also so I still feel that not just the average joe was wearing this ring.
I do have some other information on a regiment that was in East Tennessee and one of the names does have ties to a steamboat but the picture of the steamboat is not even close to the picture but at the same time the steamboat in question is listed at almost 390 tons and the picture of the boat is not even close to that tonnage, also the history of the boat was it sank on the missouri river and all the passengers were killed by indians, this was one account, the other has part of the passengers surviving. All of this is just speculation thou and please don't read into this that I am saying this person and the ring belong together.

Don't worry I will keep everyone posted as I find out more information and thanks for all the wonderful comments..
Rusty Mills
East Tennessee

OP
OP
R

Rusty in Tenn

One more thing,
There were 3 of us that made finds in that small area, As I was digging the ring out my partner dug the first button. After a brief picture taking session of our finds we picked the detectors back and and within 5 mins both my partners dug the other 2 buttons. So I got the ring, one partner got 2 buttons, and the other partner got the other button all within a 10 min period which included alot of smiles and pictures as we all knew we had just hit the motherlode..

and the steamboat I refered to in the earlier post was the "kate Sweeney" but I don't think the picture of the boat and the boats description are the same but someone else might see a different picture than I saw.

Thanks again,
Rusty Mills

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know if this will help date your boat or not. Notice that it states that the swinging stages were not developed until "After" the Civil War. Your boat does not show any stages. Although yours may be stylized by the engraver, it seems that eliminating something as structurally prominent as the swinging stages would not have been the artists choice. It would be like leaving the propeller off a drawing of an aircraft that had one. My guess is, the boat depicted on the ring is pre Civil War.

Attachments

• SteamboatAnatomy.gif
    SteamboatAnatomy.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 15,609

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Face of dead.

Attachments

• index.php.jpg
    index.php.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 15,389

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

WOW, Rusty,

I had to pull this thread up again for another look..........
fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now thats what I call a ring :) :) :) :)...what a find

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow Rusty, that sure is an incredible, once in a lifetime find! I recently moved from east Tennessee, found a ton of relics during my stay in Tennessee.

It looks like there's a face inside the ring? Maybe haunted - trying to tell you something :D

Way to Go - thanks for sharing. Hope W&E contacts you.....

Wezzie

Nov 7, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
BH3300

WOW! Find of a lifetime indeed! The first thing I took notice of was "The Face" Good to know, I'm not the only one seeing it :o
WTG! :)

Mr. Morbid

Sep 9, 2005
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Thats a very interesting find... I'd like to see what the jewler says about its worth... Also I was looking at the ring I'm thinking some sort of picture went in the inside part where it opens up... I'm sure you already knew that... But anyway very cool find...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread