My Find of the Year: Gold Civil War Ring (Updated 2 new pictures)

OP
OP
R

Rusty in Tenn

As of right now I don't have much new to report on the ring other than I drove it 185 miles one way on Tues to deliver it to the Jewler who does antiquities restoration. He felt that the ring was completly hand made as it didn't appear to have been a cast or mold that was used to pour it. He also said he had never seen a ring from that time period that had two metals made into one ring like this one had been. And also said that even with his tools today he would have a hard time duplicating the work of the steamboat on the front.
Thought right now are it was probably made by some type of master craftsman in the New Orleans are in the 1840s-1850s time frame and this was special made for someone. The reason for the thoughts on New Orleans is due to it is one of the only cities in that area that would have been big enough to have a demand for a jewler of the caliber that it took to make the ring.
I am in the process of getting a roster from the group of Louisiana troops that we feel were in this campsite and then I am going to start going thru names to see if one of them comes up with ties to a steamboat and go from there. I have studied pictures of steamboats for hours on end and havn't found a match for the one of the front yet.

As far as what is being done to the ring. Fixing the lid so it will close and then cleaning the crud off it and getting the tarnish off the silver band. We are not going to polish this ring or fix the ovaled out shape from being wore. The person who has it now is also going to try to find a hallmark or any type of engraving that we might be missing. The four marks on the paddle wheel appear to be just that, 4 marks and not letters. I want to leave the ring in as close to "as found" condition as possible. Also an apprasial is being done as well but this will really only be the value of the metals in the ring and not the historical value so even thou it might not be earthshattering on the apprasial I think we all know if we can put a name to the ring then we have a very valueble pc of history that is unique, confederate and probably wore by a person of means and possible rank.

I appreciate all the help everyone has given me on this puzzle and all the congrats that have been sent my way on this find of a lifetime. Hopefully one day we will figure out the puzzle of the ring and be able to tell some of its story. I think all of us would be amazed at the story the ring could tell if it could talk.

I will update as I find out more about the ring and it's owner.
I also appreciate everyone thinking it is one of the finds of the year and like everyone else hope it makes it into the find of the year catagory in W/E Treasures as that would be a honor for me.

Thanks again,
Rusty Mills
East Tenn

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
Oh my my my...that is an awesome piece of jewelry chocked full of history. What a treasure !!! I have seen rings that opened that way before...they were to either put snuff in it to snort up one's nose or poison. I believe this ring will be older than you think. Cannot wait to read the rest of the story.

midnightguy

May 20, 2006
Upstate NY
Hi, Simply the best find I have seen in a long time.. That plus its condition after all this time. What a rich history it must have had.. Keep it going.. Midnightguy

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure one of the best finds of the year on Tnet! Amazing.

Kansasippi

Nov 26, 2006
Delphos
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV,ML 18000,Tesoro Inca,Black Widows
That is one great find and you may have thought of this already but I would also look for records or mentions of injuries to soldiers who might have lost an arm or had there hand amputated. I know how slim finding such info would be but I remember years ago a friend who found a field hospital and discovered what he always felt was a hole amputated limbs were tossed onto as all he found ,continually, were cuff buttons and shoe nails/hardware. Long shot but your previous owner may very well survived if he survived having the surgery and there may be some clue there..

Also after a google I found the first steamboat to travel the Tennesee River was called,ironicalyy, The New Orleans but I could not find a picture but she sailed to Memphis in 1811.

Due to the wear on the ring I would not look for a picture of the boat but rather physicle description as union forces held the mouth of the Tn, River after '62 and a couple sorces have written accounts of boats and lists of pilots/enginneers.

The Upper Tennessee: Comprehending Desultory Records of River Operations in the Tennessee Valley,... http://books.google.com/books?vid=O...essee+river+steamboats+the+new+orleans&pgis=1

Lloyd's Steamboat Directory, and Disasters on the Western Waters: containing the history of the... By James T. Lloyd http://books.google.com/books?vid=O...dq=tennessee+river+steamboats+the+new+orleans

HH/Merry Christmas

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW!

Sorry I'm a little late to this post but I have to say,

this is one of the best finds I've ever seen in my 22 yrs. of the hobby!

HH and keep us updated~

Lonewolfe

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a bit of a long shot, but there was a jeweler in New Orleans (appears in the 1852 N.O. business directory) named Maurice Scooler. The Scooler Jewelry store was on Canal Street for years. You can find some custom "high end" stuff that came out of his shop.

Here's a watch from 1895: http://www.nealauction.com/toplots/jewelry/3.html

Check this too: http://www.treasurenet.com/westeast/data/askmarkparker/robots/200511.htm

This is the kind of stuff that came out of that shop. Superb craftsmanship...

Good luck,

DCMatt

P.S. I also have a link to New Orleans business directories for the years leading up to the CW.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I can only say two things. That is, without doubt, the nicest ring I have ever seen found by anyone.. anywhere! That having been said, had I been the one who found it, I would have had to have cleaned my drawers!
Can't wait to read this story in the magazine!

Awesome..........

~Nash~

C

Cabelefunk

Snuff Box Ring, it was ungentlemanly like to walk around with a snuff box, so they made these types of rings so the men could have their snuff out in public. Raised in Lower Arkansas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread