12/5: Chapter is finally closed!: 1795 Flowing Hair Half Dime! SOLD!

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: 1795 Half Dime! This is what it's all about!!!

Deno said:
Neil, that is the kind of coin we all dream about. I know you said it read at 9-1/2",

was that the actual depth? I would have probably missed it if it was.

It is hard to know for sure what the actual depth was. As far as my detecting style goes, there are only two depths, shallow and deep. This one was very deep. To further complicate things, I use an SEF 10X12 coil, which distorts the depth info on the White's detectors. I can estimate it, however, based on the length of my Garrett Propointer, and would say that the 9.5" is pretty close.

hogge said:
LSMorgan said:
Superb details and for being excavated, the surface isn't that bad at all.

hogge said:
UH....Better guess again. This coin would grade EF20-30.(or even 35), Then look at the Rarity on Variety, which is a 5. Better do some :read2: The more I look at it, it may even be higher than VF35.

I think you might have mixed up the numbers on your VF's and EF's, but I agree this coin has EF details. I'm not particularly strong at grading Early American but having looked at plenty that were professionally graded, once you see past the surface, the details are probably in the EF range (and the grading houses tend to be a bit more forgiving with them than they are with later stuff). That coin wasn't circulated much before it found a peaceful and undisturbed place in the earth for 200+ years :icon_thumleft:

It does kind of give one pause when we think about how hasty we can sometimes be in digging targets. One careless jab from the Lesche here and... well... lets not even think about that. :o
Thanks LS Morgan. Usually I don't make mistakes like that. Must have been as excited as Neil! :tongue3: :laughing9: :laughing7:

Don in SJ has been in contact with an early US silver expert, forwarding some high res photos of the coin to him, and here is his opinion:

It looks to be in extremely good shape having been in the ground for such a long time. It appears to be at least AU, although it is difficult to grade any coin from a picture.

Needless to say I am a happy camper!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is an unreal find...condition is amazing! What is the approximate value of a coin like this?

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

romeo-1 said:
That is an unreal find...condition is amazing! What is the approximate value of a coin like this?

It is hard to say, as there are many variables, but I would estimate it to be in the $5K range give or take $2K.

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

AWESOME Half Dime :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well deserved banner on this find Neil, for sure somthing that does not show it self often.That would make any detectorist a Happy person. :thumbsup: Well done. :headbang:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Neil in West Jersey said:
Don in SJ has been in contact with an early US silver expert, forwarding some high res photos of the coin to him, and here is his opinion:

It looks to be in extremely good shape having been in the ground for such a long time. It appears to be at least AU, although it is difficult to grade any coin from a picture.

Needless to say I am a happy camper!

If it is AU, you're in some rarefied territory.
I don't know what the population report is on those, but it wouldn't be too shocking to find that there aren't but a handful of examples in that grade territory.

Keep your fingers crossed for AU. As you know, a slight difference in grade with Early American coinage can make for a staggering difference in value.

Again, congrats. Amazing find.

Con

May 21, 2006
NJ
Detector(s) used
White's Vision

Congrats Neil, That is a lifetime find, you mind as well hang it up now and sell me your gear :D

Hope to catch up with you soon.

Pat

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

Thats an incredible find Neil. Congrats on that banner worthy find.

:icon_thumleft:

Colobrian

Apr 19, 2009
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

AWESOME FIND !!!!!
You guys back east make me so envious . We just dont have as many OLD finds like that in my neck of the woods . I would give my right eyetooth to have a Banner find like that . :D

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

I'll bet you got up 2 or 3 times in the middle of the night just to look at that coin to make sure you weren't dreaming. That is a beautiful coin. Congratulations!! :hello2:

HH!! :hello:
Cm2db

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL

Do you think you'll be sending it to PCGS? Seems like there's a chance to make it in a "problem-free" holder.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Huge congrats on your find! :notworthy:

Love the early US silver and Colonials. :headbang: :headbang:

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

testing123 said:
Do you think you'll be sending it to PCGS? Seems like there's a chance to make it in a "problem-free" holder.

Oh yeah, for a hefty fee NGC or PCGS will certainly give him an undesirable insult for his dime.

Neil, save your money. Who gives a darn what those plastic coffins say? Once in the holder you cant even hold it again.

No thanks!

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Neil thank god it wasnt handled a lot before they lost it. And thank god the field was a sand box. Everywhere I take you , we find stuff. Good luck charm for sure. :icon_thumleft:

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe

Great find, Congrats! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

coinmaster2db said:
I'll bet you got up 2 or 3 times in the middle of the night just to look at that coin to make sure you weren't dreaming. That is a beautiful coin. Congratulations!! :hello2:

HH!! :hello:
Cm2db
[/quote]

Sleep last night? Not for a minute! And YES, this morningthe first thing I did was run into the room to check on it, reading the label that I put on the coin holder to make sure I did not dream the whole thing.

gwdigger said:
testing123 said:

I am on the same page as you. For now, I do not plan on selling the coin so it makes no difference anyway (much to the dismay of my wife).

This is my trophy find. It is my Marlin over the mantle; my World Series Ring!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gwdigger said:
testing123 said:

Neil, save your money. Who gives a darn what those plastic coffins say? Once in the holder you cant even hold it again.

No thanks!

Exactly! You'd just be paying to hear something you don't want to hear nor care about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread