12/5: Chapter is finally closed!: 1795 Flowing Hair Half Dime! SOLD!

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
A few people recently asked me about the sale of the coin. I don't know why, but I think when TreasureNet moved to the new format a lot of the posts got truncated, leaving out the most recent posts.

I ended up getting the coin graded by NGC, and as expected it came back as "Damaged- XF Details".

005a.JPG

I won't get into the details of the sales transaction when I sold the coin on eBay (on my birthday!), but the buyer was very difficult from the start. He claimed to be a private buyer and turned out to be a dealer and in the end he tried to get the coin "on approval". In other words, he was not happy with the way it looked when he got it. He asked for a refund and when I refused it went to dispute with eBay and PayPal. It ended up tying up my Paypal account for weeks while the dispute was worked out. I ended up winning the dispute.

The image below shows the final selling price.

Needless to say, this find will be nearly impossible to top!

eBay.jpg

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, Neil on what I consider the metal detecting find of a life time and letting us know what you went through to sell it. I have the opposite problem...My wife complains that I never would sell anything that I find.
Nick

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah ebay can be a pain in general...ha, "on approval" gimme a break! I can't stand it when you get complete flakes mixed in with money, it's usually more than a minor inconvenience. Glad you came out on top, seems ebay almost always sides with the buyer,but not this time , that's encouraging ...It would be nice if the different grading firms could have a separate "dug" category instead of calling everything damaged... I have found some IH's with such beautiful green marbled patina(smooth surface not porous) I would never try to remove/clean that of course. Fortunately silver and gold fair much better.
A few people recently asked me about the sale of the coin. I don't know why, but I think when TreasureNet moved to the new format a lot of the posts got truncated, leaving out the most recent posts.

I ended up getting the coin graded by NGC, and as expected it came back as "Damaged- XF Details".

View attachment 697499

I won't get into the details of the sales transaction when I sold the coin on eBay (on my birthday!), but the buyer was very difficult from the start. He claimed to be a private buyer and turned out to be a dealer and in the end he tried to get the coin "on approval". In other words, he was not happy with the way it looked when he got it. He asked for a refund and when I refused it went to dispute with eBay and PayPal. It ended up tying up my Paypal account for weeks while the dispute was worked out. I ended up winning the dispute.

The image below shows the final selling price.

Needless to say, this find will be nearly impossible to top!

View attachment 697500

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got a copy of Dick Stout's new book "In Search of Treasure". What a great feeling seeing my find featured in the book!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    884.5 KB · Views: 624
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 683

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
One of the nicest and oldest American coins ever posted. I wish I could have bought it or that you would have kept it.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin
congrats.gif

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on finding that beautiful half dime and for being featured in the book. :) Breezie

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Wow. I have been gone from here for the past three years.....check in occasionally for all the right reasons....amazing stories....

And so I come across this jaw-dropper.

Congrats, Neil. An amazing find from the very earliest period of our country.

That thing was astonishing. Sorry about the sourpuss buyer, but glad it all worked in your favor.

Hope you find many more like that. :thumbsup:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have no more room on my bucket list

ZIMKIM

Greenie
Jul 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find, :icon_thumright: Banner!!!!!!!

I envy you guys who can get out and hunt, we're still deep, Dafont Showbox Adam4adam deep in snow and cold here...

The coin was a deep signal reading 9.5 inches on the V3i, and sounded like what some deep buttons sound like, definitely a signal worth digging. I dug a huge plug, but the coin was still in the hole. I was able to pinpoint it near the bottom of the hole, so I carefully used my Lesche to remove the target along with a nice clump of dirt.

Last edited:

Huntster54

Jan 26, 2017
Detector(s) used
Antique whites TR-goldmaster

Under water model to be posted
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11/13/2011 UPDATE: I SOLD THE COIN TODAY! SEE THE LAST REPLIES IN THIS THREAD FOR DETAILS.

Hello fellow T'Netters! I got out today with my buddy Dale, Jim and his friend Matt. We wanted to check out some woods that were a former farm field. After about an hour with no targets to speak of, we decided to hit another field.

We spread out across the field, and I worked an area near some trees. I got a somewhat deep signal that turned out to be an old plated ring. It may be an old signet ring, but to be honest I am to consumed with the Half Dime to even look at the ring for now.

The coin was a deep signal reading 9.5 inches on the V3i, and sounded like what some deep buttons sound like, definitely a signal worth digging. I dug a huge plug, but the coin was still in the hole. I was able to pinpoint it near the bottom of the hole, so I carefully used my Lesche to remove the target along with a nice clump of dirt.

I saw the silver and a few things went through my mind, one of which was a half reale. When I picked it up I knew immediately this was no half reale. I could clearly see the word LIBERTY. I had to double check to make sure it was not a Seated Liberty. I thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me.

I yelled out to the others so loudly that they knew it had to be something amazing. I had to leave at that point due to some other obligations, but I cannot stop thinking about this find.

View attachment 505480
View attachment 505481

It will certainly be a tough find to beat!
***************************************************************************************************************
UPDATED PHOTO 3/8/2011

I took some photos in better lighting today so you can see the detail. Here is the obverse. I had trouble getting sharp focus on the reverse. The camera was not cooperating and I was anxious to get the coin back into its holder.
View attachment 506422

View attachment 506423

Neil, I think I see a line going under the 'R' in liberty, which if true, could this coin have been a error strike. She looks like a unicorn. Am I seeing this correct? Recons recent coin doesn't seem to show this metal. I'm only going by the image supplied to the forum. At this moment I haven't read this thread but I will.
Thanks for any input.

EDIT: Now that I read the whole thread, it's disappointing when so call collectors are trolling ebay and he clearly tried to rip you off. Of course, after he had the coin, he tried that crap. Even if you somehow believe the buyer was supposed to be respected, I don't believe half what is on ebay. Also, was what I'm looking at possibly the 'die crack'?

Last edited:
OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Neil, I think I see a line going under the 'R' in liberty, which if true, could this coin have been a error strike. She looks like a unicorn. Am I seeing this correct? what I'm looking at possibly the 'die crack'?

Exactly. A late stage of the die, which identified this as a very rare variety of a rare coin (less than 50 known to exist!)

Huntster54

Jan 26, 2017
Detector(s) used
Antique whites TR-goldmaster

Under water model to be posted
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. A late stage of the die, which identified this as a very rare variety of a rare coin (less than 50 known to exist!)

Nice. When you have anything extra going UNDER a normal raised portion, it's likely an error mint and adds to the value most times. So, then this press would be the crack people were referring to, or another error on it's own.
Either way it was a great find. I don't know you're relationship with your buyer, but you're braver than I am.

Stay safe and happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread