Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Gold coin find

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2012
    Mesquite,NM
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 Garrett GTAx 550 Bounty Hunter 1st Texas Pilot
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Very nice !

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Jun 2012
    Georgia
    Garrett RECON PRO AML-1000 Garrett ACE 150
    1 times
    That is a beautiful Dahlonega mint Gold Coin. The Dahlonega Mint was built to coin gold from the numerous productive gold mines in Dahlonega, the site of America's first Major gold rush.
    Dahlonega is located in the North Georgia mountains and today is a little over an hour North of Atlanta. Gold was discovered and Dahlonega was established in 1829 and remain America's Gold Headquarters until the 1849 Gold rush of California. There are still active gold mines in Dahlonega producing gold today. The Mint was built less than 10 years after the discovery of Dahlonega Gold and produced gold coins from Dahlonbega gold until the outbreak of the Civil War. The confederates took possestion of the Mint, but it never minted another coin. Now the mint serves as an administrative building called Price Memorial Hall at North Georgia University topped with a Gold steeple made from an untold amount of Dahlonega Gold. it still sits just two blocks from the center of town and the old Central Courthouse built in 1829 that now houses the Dahlonega Gold Museum
    Citiboy289 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2007
    Bronx, New York
    MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
    54 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Cool re: Here's a little hisotry as to whom minted this Liberty Coronet Gold Coin...

Go to this URL and you see each demomination Of the Gold Coins Minted in all the states that were minting them... Enjoy... WTG on an aewsome find....

The Colonel Liberty Head Gold Coins |$5 Liberty Head |$10 Liberty Head | $20 Liberty Head | Superior Collectibles

Quote Originally Posted by The Pete View Post
    Here is my best so far, anybody ever find one from this mint?

Find details: That year started to do sidewalks and house tear ups as my major detecting focus. I had only a short time left in the detecting season, I needed 4 coins (keepers) to reach 68 to double the previous years total. It was November 29th the day before my birthday. Ground was frozen for days, it melted enough to go. I hit a couple of sites and only had 13 cents modern. I went to the site that a house was torn down. I had gotten 4 Indian Heads from it before. Oldest 1860, no silver at all. They had shaved down 8-10 inches of the yard. But they had also done the location of the new driveway. The day they did that they parked the bobcat on the spot. Day in question it was gone. It was dim light, I scanned the location and got a screwcap signal. So i popped up some dirt and there it was. I figured it was the top of a beer bottle (college kids had lived there). I picked it up then realized it was a gold coin. In the dim light i could make out the date, and all the detail. I put it in my pocket, just then a little old lady walks by and asks find anything? I told her as i pulled it out, just a five dollar gold piece. I do not know what she thought. I thought it was Denver for about 2 hrs. till i realized Denver did not exist then.

Feb 2013
    Hi Pete,
    Congratulations man! Though it was 170 years old but still in great shape.
    Thanks for sharing coin details and pictures with other members also. Keep sharing.

Tiger Jewellery | Sell gold, silver, watches or antiques | Cash for Jewellery
    Last edited by Alfrad; Oct 30, 2013 at 05:40 AM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    751 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    How many names does Pete have? ThePete, FreePete, ZumbroKid, SuperFree...Im sure there were more.

Great find.

What happened to floater? Name:  Floater sultan of the sand.png
Views: 426
Size:  13.6 KB
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; Apr 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added another name

Jan 2013
    625 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Wow! Thanks for sharing, its stories like yours that give us all hope. When your time due, your times due.. hope mine comes soon. Congratulations. Beautiful find.

us
    Aug 2012
    North Georgia
    Various depends on the need at the moment
    250 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    Dahlonega (GA.)
    Your got that right DAHLONEGA GA MINT , Still the purest gold ever mined is from there and they say 90 % is still in the ground today ---- The foundation of the mint is the now foundation of North Georgia Military College Price Hall ------- Interesting fact about the mint was so much gold was being found that the MINT would take your ore and give you a coin in return ----- Many prospectors took them up on the offer and took coins rather than ore home , so that might be how it traveled ---------------- in 1849 the California gold rush started and the miners took off for California , The mayor of Dahlonega stood at a town meeting in the square and gave a speach ending with " there 's still gold in them hills " I am lucky to live only 15 miles from Dahlonega ---- Which leads to the LEDBETTER TREASURE IN Cumming ,
    Last edited by Citiboy289; Feb 23, 2013 at 06:20 PM.

us
    Mar 2013
    Arkansas
    Whites V3i Tesoro Silver Saber
    107 times
    Metal Detecting
    This story is just that, total fabrication.
    Dig till it hurts, then dig until its too dark to see anymore.

us
    May 2012
    Texas
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty544
    This story is just that, total fabrication.
    All you have done in your limited posts is tell put that their fond sucks or that its fake. Quit being so rude to people please.

us
    Mar 2013
    Arkansas
    107 times
    Metal Detecting
    Have you even read this post? I read the full post. It is a lie. I will call bs if I see it. The poster changed his name three times, and was curious about how many views the post had. Along with his bad grammar and other bs facts is a dead give away.

us
    Mar 2013
    Arkansas
    107 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshr29 View Post

All you have done in your limited posts is tell put that their fond sucks or that its fake. Quit being so rude to people please.
    Was it addressed to you? Maybe you should mind your own biz. If you read the post you will see the truth, and that I am not the only one who has enough of a brain to call him out.
    Last edited by scotty544; Mar 29, 2013 at 07:00 AM.

Feb 2012
    North Pole
    Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
    1822 times
    Very nice
    One third jewelry of the World are under sand so far
    Finds2013
    Coins usables=50436
    Silver= 890 pieces
    Gold= 63g

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    751 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty544 View Post
    Have you even read this post? I read the full post. It is a lie. I will call bs if I see it. The poster changed his name three times, and was curious about how many views the post had. Along with his bad grammar and other bs facts is a dead give away.
    Good observations. I dont know why the OP changes his name so much. More than 3 times. Mostly just for attention and self promotion. He also liked to play games.

He pretended to be a woman at one time and posted a hot avatar. He/she loved all the attention from the male members but the truth surfaced eventually. A real character for sure, rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but also helped a lot of people when the site first started I am told. But for what its worth, I think he/she really found the coin.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; Apr 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

us
    Mar 2013
    Arkansas
    107 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcypresshunter View Post
    Good observations. I dont know why the OP changes his name so much. More than 3 times. Mostly just for attention and self promotion. He also liked to play games.

He pretended to be a woman at one time and posted a hot avatar. He/she loved all the attention from the male members but the truth surfaced eventually. A real character for sure, rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but also helped a lot of people when the site first started I am told. But for what its worth, I think he/she really found the coin.
    That's interesting, the part that made me most suspicious was comments about how many views the post got compared to some unrelated story on a different website. Along with the fact that the coin just happened to be one of the most rare and coveted.
    Silver Searcher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty544 View Post
    That's interesting, the part that made me most suspicious was comments about how many views the post got compared to some unrelated story on a different website. Along with the fact that the coin just happened to be one of the most rare and coveted.
    It's not the first, and won't be the last.

SS

Charter Member
    us
    d3t3ctr0n

Apr 2013
    Texas U.S.A.
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    Awesome. I beleive if any metal detectorist is persistent, that it WILL pay off sooner or later. Congrats man, that is awesome!

Treasure Hunting Count to Date - 271 US Coins - 0 Silver - 0 Gold - 0 Jewelry - 3
    FIRST OLD COIN FIND - 1944D Wheatie - Using the Garrett Ace 150

Oct 2013
    5 times
    That shows just dig everything.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Sponsors