gunternomad

Jun 22, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett RECON PRO AML-1000
Garrett ACE 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful Dahlonega mint Gold Coin. The Dahlonega Mint was built to coin gold from the numerous productive gold mines in Dahlonega, the site of America's first Major gold rush.
Dahlonega is located in the North Georgia mountains and today is a little over an hour North of Atlanta. Gold was discovered and Dahlonega was established in 1829 and remain America's Gold Headquarters until the 1849 Gold rush of California. There are still active gold mines in Dahlonega producing gold today. The Mint was built less than 10 years after the discovery of Dahlonega Gold and produced gold coins from Dahlonbega gold until the outbreak of the Civil War. The confederates took possestion of the Mint, but it never minted another coin. Now the mint serves as an administrative building called Price Memorial Hall at North Georgia University topped with a Gold steeple made from an untold amount of Dahlonega Gold. it still sits just two blocks from the center of town and the old Central Courthouse built in 1829 that now houses the Dahlonega Gold Museum

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
re: Here's a little hisotry as to whom minted this Liberty Coronet Gold Coin...

Go to this URL and you see each demomination Of the Gold Coins Minted in all the states that were minting them... Enjoy... WTG on an aewsome find....

The Colonel :goldbar: Liberty Head Gold Coins |$5 Liberty Head |$10 Liberty Head | $20 Liberty Head | Superior Collectibles

Here is my best so far, anybody ever find one from this mint?

Find details: That year started to do sidewalks and house tear ups as my major detecting focus. I had only a short time left in the detecting season, I needed 4 coins (keepers) to reach 68 to double the previous years total. It was November 29th the day before my birthday. Ground was frozen for days, it melted enough to go. I hit a couple of sites and only had 13 cents modern. I went to the site that a house was torn down. I had gotten 4 Indian Heads from it before. Oldest 1860, no silver at all. They had shaved down 8-10 inches of the yard. But they had also done the location of the new driveway. The day they did that they parked the bobcat on the spot. Day in question it was gone. It was dim light, I scanned the location and got a screwcap signal. So i popped up some dirt and there it was. I figured it was the top of a beer bottle (college kids had lived there). I picked it up then realized it was a gold coin. In the dim light i could make out the date, and all the detail. I put it in my pocket, just then a little old lady walks by and asks find anything? I told her as i pulled it out, just a five dollar gold piece. I do not know what she thought. I thought it was Denver for about 2 hrs. till i realized Denver did not exist then.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How many names does Pete have? ThePete, FreePete, ZumbroKid, SuperFree...Im sure there were more.

Great find.

What happened to floater? Floater sultan of the sand.png

Last edited:

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Wow! Thanks for sharing, its stories like yours that give us all hope. When your time due, your times due.. hope mine comes soon. Congratulations. Beautiful find.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dahlonega (GA.)
Your got that right DAHLONEGA GA MINT , Still the purest gold ever mined is from there and they say 90 % is still in the ground today ---- The foundation of the mint is the now foundation of North Georgia Military College Price Hall ------- Interesting fact about the mint was so much gold was being found that the MINT would take your ore and give you a coin in return ----- Many prospectors took them up on the offer and took coins rather than ore home , so that might be how it traveled ---------------- in 1849 the California gold rush started and the miners took off for California , The mayor of Dahlonega stood at a town meeting in the square and gave a speach ending with " there 's still gold in them hills " I am lucky to live only 15 miles from Dahlonega ---- Which leads to the LEDBETTER TREASURE IN Cumming ,

Last edited:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This story is just that, total fabrication.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scotty544 said:
This story is just that, total fabrication.

All you have done in your limited posts is tell put that their fond sucks or that its fake. Quit being so rude to people please.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you even read this post? I read the full post. It is a lie. I will call bs if I see it. The poster changed his name three times, and was curious about how many views the post had. Along with his bad grammar and other bs facts is a dead give away.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All you have done in your limited posts is tell put that their fond sucks or that its fake. Quit being so rude to people please.

Was it addressed to you? Maybe you should mind your own biz. If you read the post you will see the truth, and that I am not the only one who has enough of a brain to call him out.

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Have you even read this post? I read the full post. It is a lie. I will call bs if I see it. The poster changed his name three times, and was curious about how many views the post had. Along with his bad grammar and other bs facts is a dead give away.
Good observations. I dont know why the OP changes his name so much. More than 3 times. Mostly just for attention and self promotion. He also liked to play games.

He pretended to be a woman at one time and posted a hot avatar. He/she loved all the attention from the male members but the truth surfaced eventually. A real character for sure, rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but also helped a lot of people when the site first started I am told. But for what its worth, I think he/she really found the coin.

Last edited:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good observations. I dont know why the OP changes his name so much. More than 3 times. Mostly just for attention and self promotion. He also liked to play games.

He pretended to be a woman at one time and posted a hot avatar. He/she loved all the attention from the male members but the truth surfaced eventually. A real character for sure, rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but also helped a lot of people when the site first started I am told. But for what its worth, I think he/she really found the coin.

That's interesting, the part that made me most suspicious was comments about how many views the post got compared to some unrelated story on a different website. Along with the fact that the coin just happened to be one of the most rare and coveted.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting, the part that made me most suspicious was comments about how many views the post got compared to some unrelated story on a different website. Along with the fact that the coin just happened to be one of the most rare and coveted.
It's not the first, and won't be the last.

SS

d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome. I beleive if any metal detectorist is persistent, that it WILL pay off sooner or later. Congrats man, that is awesome!

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The story of the find and many other nice finds is now availble in my metal detecting book. I am thinking of advertising my book on the site here, just waiting for prices for being able to post it.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped today at the coin shop where I sold this gold coin some years ago. The owner told me his buyer backed out and so he added the coin to his collection. He sent it in and it was graded VF-30, only 40 graded examples known. Thought I would add were it finally graded at, it should be well protected being slabbed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread