ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ironron said:
A certain field near st albans, used to turn up hundreds of them in the seventies..easy to get permission then..untill the farmer got fed up with people knocking on his door & banned detectorists..Augustus & tiberius were the best finds..republic were the dross.

Those were the good old days :thumbsup:

Good area, had a couple of Celtic minted from there.

I bet you wish you had the technology they have now, back then, you would have cleared up big time.

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great coin! Belongs on the top row! Banner!
I found one very similar on my spring trip to England. The Roman Expert we use dated it to 101 BC

This one took a bit of digging, but it appears to be a denarius of L. Sentius C. f., 101 BC. Behind the helmeted head of Roma, it's inscribed ARG PVB - short for EX ARGENTO PVBLICO - or made from public silver. Since all denarii were in fact coined from metal in the State bullion reserve at the time, no one is too sure why a few coins of ths era state the obvious. It was around the time of the ascendency of Gaius Marius, though, and a lot of things were "different" at the time.
On the reverse is Jupiter driving a quadriga, holding a scepter and thunderbolt. Beneath that, if there were more of the coin surviving, you would be able to read L • SENTI • C • F.
The reference is RSC/Babelon Sentia 1a, SR 203.

Mark

Attachments

• 101 bc roman silver obvv.jpg
    101 bc roman silver obvv.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,687
  • 101 bc roman silver rev.jpg
    101 bc roman silver rev.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,710

ironron

Dec 28, 2008
Boston UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo. C-scope cs2mx
CRUSADER said:
ironron said:
A certain field near st albans, used to turn up hundreds of them in the seventies..easy to get permission then..untill the farmer got fed up with people knocking on his door & banned detectorists..Augustus & tiberius were the best finds..republic were the dross.

I bet you wish you had the technology they have now, back then, you would have cleared up big time.
Only had a c-scope TR200 then..but used to do the business..quarter staters. units of tasciovanus & cunobelin.
You name it.

ironron

Dec 28, 2008
Boston UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo. C-scope cs2mx
CRUSADER said:
ironron said:

You seem to have some good sites yourself..looking at the list of finds under your avaatar. :thumbsup:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that shouldnt be banner it should be the holy grail wowza

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread