Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 70
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My Find Of A Lifetime

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16

    Sep 2006
    97
    1 times

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    Hey BH, that's a good one right there. I think I recognize that sandy soil!! LOL Great find! Lafar backstamped. That's the last year they made CARPENTER tags (switched to calling them mechanics) AND the last year they they ENGRAVED numbers on hire badges. Awesome condition. I agree...find of a LIFETIME. The holy grail for southern US metal detectorists. Congratulations!!!
    "Liberty or Death"

  2. #17
    us
    Jul 2003
    Mid Michigan
    IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
    1,681
    20 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    Congratulations on such a rare historic find.To go out and actually find what one may dream of finding is amazing.WTG.....Joe
    ramble on

  3. #18
    us
    Mar 2006
    Ace Basin
    Tesoro Cibola and Troy Shadow X-5
    117
    1 times
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    Quote Originally Posted by FMarion2ndRegSC
    Hey BH, that's a good one right there. I think I recognize that sandy soil!! LOL Great find! Lafar backstamped. That's the last year they made CARPENTER tags (switched to calling them mechanics) AND the last year they they ENGRAVED numbers on hire badges. Awesome condition. I agree...find of a LIFETIME. The holy grail for southern US metal detectorists. Congratulations!!!
    It appears that you have read Dr.Harry Hutchins Jr's book on slave tags.
    You are right on in the description.Number 69 has been found for 1813 so we know that at least 69 were made that year.We are looking for the others..lol...the sandy soil is very kind to the relics we find with our Tesoro's

  4. #19

    Sep 2006
    97
    1 times

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    Yes, I know Dr. Hutchins and enjoy his book. As far as I'm concerned Don Troiani is the authority on Rev War buttons and Doc Hutchins the authority on hire badges....my two favorites as far as relics go.I've hunted with him and swapped photos of tags. He really likes my 1823 front stamped JJLafar servant tag. He is a great guy and very knowledgable on hire badges.
    "Liberty or Death"

  5. #20
    us
    Mar 2006
    Ace Basin
    Tesoro Cibola and Troy Shadow X-5
    117
    1 times
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    Quote Originally Posted by FMarion2ndRegSC
    Yes, I know Dr. Hutchins and enjoy his book. As far as I'm concerned Don Troiani is the authority on Rev War buttons and Doc Hutchins the authority on hire badges....my two favorites as far as relics go.I've hunted with him and swapped photos of tags. He really likes my 1823 front stamped JJLafar servant tag. He is a great guy and very knowledgable on hire badges.
    Those are two very knowledgable experts in their fields.I spoke with Harry yesterday..he is a personal friend..we are still looking for our first "front stamped" tag..

  6. #21
    us
    Jul 2006
    Cheshire, Mass
    White's XLT, DFX 300
    550
    6 times

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    Great find!! Thanks for sharing and Best of luck in your future hunts...

    ~Hank 8)

  7. #22
    us
    Oct 2005
    Goose Creek, South Carolina
    Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
    3,626
    4 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    Awesome !!! HH Art...

  8. #23
    Thanks for playing. You lose.

    Aug 2006
    smAlbany, NY
    DFX
    1,296
    19 times

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.
    I dug this 1813 Charleston CARPENTER slave tag #35,January,7th.2007.
    I have dug several others,but this is my best!
    There are only 4 1813 CARPENTER slave tags known..1 in the Charleston,S.C. Museum..3 in private hands.
    This is the lowest numbered one to date.
    I have included actual photos of the tag being dug.
    So does yours make 4 or does it make 5?
    Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

  9. #24

    Jan 2007
    South Carolina
    White's MXT
    47
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    Very Nice Find!!!! I've been detecting in the low country for about 3 years now but have never found a slave tag. Yours was obviously on private property as I've been told by a City Offical that all parks in the Charleston area where most of the badges were used are closed to Metal Detecting.
    Sounds like you've done your homework and you may already know that one of the currators of the Charleston Library wrote a book on Slave Tags about 3 years ago in collaboration with a local Dentist. I'm sure its still available.
    You've got my vote for best find!

  10. #25
    us
    Dec 2004
    Troy X5
    7,130
    23 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    sell that puppy and be a happy man also get a few miles from the mags and articles etc
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others. -George Orwell

  11. #26
    us
    Mar 2006
    Ace Basin
    Tesoro Cibola and Troy Shadow X-5
    117
    1 times
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    Quote Originally Posted by Skrimpy
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.
    I dug this 1813 Charleston CARPENTER slave tag #35,January,7th.2007.
    I have dug several others,but this is my best!
    There are only 4 1813 CARPENTER slave tags known..1 in the Charleston,S.C. Museum..3 in private hands.
    This is the lowest numbered one to date.
    I have included actual photos of the tag being dug.
    So does yours make 4 or does it make 5?
    Mine makes 4 1813 Carpenter's

  12. #27
    us
    Mar 2006
    Ace Basin
    Tesoro Cibola and Troy Shadow X-5
    117
    1 times
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    Quote Originally Posted by cream43
    Very Nice Find!!!! I've been detecting in the low country for about 3 years now but have never found a slave tag. Yours was obviously on private property as I've been told by a City Offical that all parks in the Charleston area where most of the badges were used are closed to Metal Detecting.
    Sounds like you've done your homework and you may already know that one of the currators of the Charleston Library wrote a book on Slave Tags about 3 years ago in collaboration with a local Dentist. I'm sure its still available.
    You've got my vote for best find!
    The Dentist is a personal friend..I have a signed copy of the book on slave tags

  13. #28
    us
    Jan 2006
    SE Louisiana
    Garrett AT Pro & Ace 250
    20,121
    1708 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    Oh man, this is awesome!!! Congratulations

    RR





  14. #29

    Sep 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    3,718
    2 times

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    Awesome find. In great condition too. Neat that it is so rare.

    I sometimes wonder if rare finds will become "less rare" by people finding more of the ones that are not in "circulation". You know ...the law of supply and demand. My wife's uncle was one of the primary investors in the recovery of the gold from the Central America. He told us that there was so much of it that it greatly lowered it's value(too much supply and not enough demand).

    Minelab Exp II, Whites DFX, Whites Classic III(former Tejon, CoinStrike & Quattro user)

  15. #30
    Thanks for playing. You lose.

    Aug 2006
    smAlbany, NY
    DFX
    1,296
    19 times

    Re: My Find Of A Lifetime

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    Awesome find. In great condition too. Neat that it is so rare.

    I sometimes wonder if rare finds will become "less rare" by people finding more of the ones that are not in "circulation". You know ...the law of supply and demand. My wife's uncle was one of the primary investors in the recovery of the gold from the Central America. He told us that there was so much of it that it greatly lowered it's value(too much supply and not enough demand).

    I heard a similar thing concerning some rare gold coins that were found in abundance in a shipwreck recently...don't ask me what kind of coins, or what kind of ship...I don't remember. All I know is that the guy found some number of rare, priceless gold coins numbering in the thousands and as soon as the world found out how many were found the value of that specific coin dropped to close to the value of the gold they were made out of. Supply and demand. Law holds for everything but diamonds and oil. Diamonds and gold (sorry my mistake) oil prices are set by world wide Cartel running dirtbags called Debeers and Saudis.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

 

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1806 slave tag
,

1813 servant slave tag

,
how much are carpenter slave tags worth
,

how much are slave tags worth

,

lifetime

,
round slave tag
,

slave badges

,
value of banner record 6381-b
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0