My Find Of A Lifetime

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I personally don't think you could put a monetary value on something like that. I mean, what would you compare it to?

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
daltonvz said:
So these were for the slaves? Why are they so rare? Not every slave had them on their knecks?

At the time they were not considered very valuable after the sale of a slave, thus they were discarded and very few survive. Certian types are very rare. There are just not many of them out there. Many old gold coins are out there but the 1933 US Gold Eagle is arguably the most expensive, more than 8 million being paid for one at auction. Now a 1932 version of the same coin is worth a pittance compared to the 1933 version. Why? Well FDR had all of the 1933 versions melted down before they were released when he made private holding of Gold illegal 1n 1932. The coins that did get out had to be stolen from the mint by workers. That makes the 1933 extremely rare!! Slave tags were not considered valuable at the time they were used so they were thrown away like the price tag on your new shirt. They are a rare pieace to find now and that makes them very valuable. Rarity always breeds value!!
I hope that answers your question.

PS: Never let anyone sell you a 1934 Gold Eagle!! :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

OroJoeDude

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice find!
It's amazing the history that can be dug up if your " given permission "
Happy Hunting!
OJD

Top Member Reactions