Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: United Airlines DC-6 Flight 624

ED, a Couple of Good Questions there.

On Giving anything to the Authorities at this point, the Crash happened in 1948, over 55 years ago, Pre DNA, & all the Bodies were I.D.'d even tho' some Reports say Different, They were All Definitely I.D.'d.? Local Papers List Names As they were I.D.'d,? and Exhumation, at this point, would not be done anyway, Because the Investigators, finished their Investigation over 55 years ago also.

as You May have seen Earlier, The ring with Initials, Found by Rich. has been I'D'.d to a Passenger, But All attempts to Locate a Relative have hit Dead Ends. he may have Been Single, & any Parents would have been at least in there late 30's 55 years ago, as he was a the Head of a Bank, he should have been in his 20's at least. & any Bro's or Sisters would also be in there 60's or older & even so, None Can be Traced so far. The Bank wont even give info, if they even have it.

we did find allot of Zippers, Suite Case Parts, Etc.
A couple of the Quarters Showed Signs of Having possibly Scotch Tape Melted on them, as if they May Have Been taped fast to something, maybe like inside A Suite Case Lid, for Emergencies ? or maybe they were inside some kind of plastic Slots. SOME Coins showed signs Of intense Heat. some Even Burnt.

& some buttons, had some remains of Cloth.

An interesting Note on the Sterling Chain Bracelet, in the One Pic. that is 3 Pieces. I found 2 of the pieces at complete opposite ends of the Crash site & Rich found the Other Piece at another spot there.
IF it was the Same Bracelet as it Looks, it Must Have Flew all Directions at Once. and May have Been an I.D. Bracelet.? ? however either The Investigators, or Earlier Searchers, Got That, or it may still be there

Thanks ED, & All Again for looking and, for the Kind comments

Last edited:

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeff,
Sounds like you and Rich did a real good job with the site, including efforts to help and or return what you could. I am impressed with your dedication to the hobby.

Keep detecting,
Keep digging,
Keep finding.

Ed

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004

This is an amazing store..Did you ever think of doing a book, video or tape your hunting of this site for historical reference?It would be interesting reading how you thought about doing this sight,how you investigated it and then how you proceeded doing your search..It is sad that these people died such a tragic death..but with your dedication to finding the owners of these items, is just like so inspirational! I congratulate you all for doing such great work!Now this would be a great dedications store for a metal detecting show.Was there any news paper stoy on your search..I would like to read the information.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There was a Story Done In a Local paper. I tried to put it up, but link didn't work.

Was Mainly About the History of The Crash & the Landowners Surprise That after all these years we were actually finding things.

1.jpg

12.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg 7.jpg

Last edited:

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Update:? Complete illustrated story will appear in Treasure Cache 2006 coming out later on this year, I beleive in December 2005.? Title of the story will be:? "The Missing Cargo of United Air Lines Flight 624"...........Rich

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005

jeff of pa said:
CENTRALIA is open for Hunting.
I talked to A Local Township Police Officer, Who Told me No Problem.

The only Places in Centrailia where you would need on the Scene Permission, are in the Few Yards, where homes Remain.

And the Upper South Western Corner of the Former City, is all that is on Fire
whats so special about the centralia ghost town?, and wow what a cool find the crash site, but i must concure with that gentleman earlier, that tooth and filling were a pretty grusome find ,thought of what occured there wow. sounds like it was so bad only a few could be identified "ouch", and as far as the diamonds like the guy said, they might show up under different spectrums of light, be cool to find one or more of those ,if its soft coal dirt rake it up and use that light try the light 1st before u rake though , maybee you will turn something over i highly dought there sitting right on the top, maybee? you never know cool site good luck on your finds,tammahawk? ?ps,I did find a link to centralia, weird place heres the link, http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm

N

NC Barefoot2

That was an awesome story concerning the DC-6 crash. Thanks for sharing it with us. Also, some VERY, VERY nice finds since that took place.

L

laois

I did some prospecting there in 1971 and found several coins, one dime was partly melted. I have many parts ranging in size from about 2 inches in diameter to one foot in length, mostly parts of the outer skin of the aircraft. The most valuable things I found were two sets of "points" made of gold. These I am told were engine ignition points and they were mounted on a caliper like object about two inches long and the whole mechanism was in pretty good shape. I found all of this stuff by simply kicking around in the ground. I didn't use a metal detector. Myself and three others went back up there on Dec. 31, 1999 and found more airplane parts using a cheap metal detector. Both times, in 1971 and 1999, the site was still the way it was at the time of the crash and it has since been disturbed. I know others have gone over the site also but didn't come up with the kind of stuff you guys found. Anyway, the gold points in 1971 were worth 50 dollars apiece and there are four, so our gold is worth 200 dollars in 1971 and probably more now. In 1999 the concrete building which was part of the power substation was still standing and has since been destroyed by a bulldozer. It was a good reference point for plotting the debris field as it appeared in many news photos of the crash scene in 1948.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome Laois.
I remember Hearing about the Gold Points, you found, last year sometime.

or was it the year before

"Time Flies."

Welcome to TreasureNet
Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We were Contacted by The SON of one of the Passengers.

He was 7 at the Time of the Crash in 48.

and Wanted to see where it happend.

We had a VERY NICE Conversation, and Showed Him our Finds, and Newspaper Articles,
He Brought us Copys of the Actual ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION REPORT.

and We gave him a Few Remembrences to take along home.

I just had to Share this with Yous, Because at the Moment I'm on a REAL HIGH,
No Drug could EVER Produce ;D

HAPPY HUNTING ALL !

Jeff

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound

I'm sure you got a great feeling from it. Real nice of you to give him some stuff too! My hats off to you Jeff.

HH 8) surfrat

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005

Very cool Jeff, good example for others to follow! The entire story is amazing and the way you all handled it is top notch!

-Mike

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As Jeff previously stated, Anthony Devito was one of the passengers who died in the plane explosion on that day June 17, 1948. He was a young 38, and left behind a wife and 2 children. The ages of the children in 1948 were 7 and 11.

Amazingly, we had the pleasure of meeting one of the surviving sons of Anthony Devito on August 24, 2005 along with his wife, who drove from New Jersey to meet Jeff and myself. We spent about 3 hours together talking and took them on the tour of the crash site. Here are the pictures of the crash site as of 8/24/05. I will describe what you are seeing............Rich

Picture #1>>>>This is a surviving sheared off telephone pole that still stands alone in the woods.
Picture #2>>>>Still some remnants of the 66,000 volt transformer, aircraft debris still under the leaves
Picture #3>>>>Foundations can still be seen throught the woods where power transformer stood
Picture #4>>>>Aircraft possibly tried to land plane here but overflew it, and hit transformer instead.
Picture #5>>>>Thats me(Rich in Central PA), and Mrs. and Mr. James Devito

We had a great tiime, and wanted you to share our experience.........Rich & Jeff

Attachments

• Pic#6a.jpg
    Pic#6a.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 22,632
  • Pic#5a.jpg
    Pic#5a.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 22,708
  • Pic#3a.jpg
    Pic#3a.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 22,815
  • Pic#2a.jpg
    Pic#2a.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 22,931
  • Pic#1a.jpg
    Pic#1a.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 22,999
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I Just found Out.

Our Story Has been Published in.

LOST TREASURES 2006 "TREASURE CACHE"

Attachments

• TFTC06-NEW.jpg
    TFTC06-NEW.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 22,044

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

thats awesome guys! this story deserves to be published.it gets my vote as the most interesting post of the year. (with the shark pit stuff in at a close 2nd).

Dirtfishin

Dec 3, 2005
Southern Tier NY (temp)
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace100 (my first one)
White's Surf Pro PI
Nokta Legend

All I can Say IS WOW! :o

That is one amazing post/story, links and pictures. As a newbie, It feeds my insatiable appetite for treasure hunting!

I am looking forward to reading the article in the magazine.

Thank you , Thank you for sharing! I am enriched by your dedication and hard work.

BRAVO!!!
Kat :-*

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA

Congrats, ;D Jeff & Rich on all those Nice finds, a job well done, especially after the area having been cleaned up, searched for years, even sifted by locals through screens.
It kind of confirms the saying that an area is never completely cleaned out.
Encouraging for all.
HH
SS

mil-hunter

Nov 17, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Getting a Garrett ACE 250 Real Soon

I'm Jealous. I used to live in Ohio, and took many a trip to explore Centralia. I wish I still lived over there. Nice finds guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread