Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: UPDATED.dug me some bottles..YESSSSS...or was buried for a reason??cleaned pics

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2006
    lost in Wisconsin
    Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
    2 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: dug me some bottles...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.... or was buried for a reason????

DO NOT just dump 'em, it's EXTREMELY dangerous. some of the chems you listed are VERY VERY volatile if mixed, even explosive. If you neutralize them, that does not always make them safe, and probably will not make them mixable(even if poured out). The other problem in self-disposal is that many of those chemicals are very dangerous environmentally, and it would be a very large federal felony to dump them.

On to the next issue. with what you typed in your description, if this site is monitored at all, other "people" now know what you are in possession of. Several of those chemicals are illegal to possess without a proper federal permit, so if they are aware that you have them and you don't turn them in you could get in BIG trouble. Possession of potential explosive-making ingredients is a violation of the "patriot" act.

In the good news, if you contact the fire department/haz-mat, you should be able to get the bottles back. I would contact a local historical society to make sure you have some kind of protection for a historical find. I don't think any FD in the world wants to go up against those history fanatics when it comes to destroying a historical find.

It all comes down to the fact that you really do need to contact someone for proper disposal, just make sure you cover your bases and it shouldn't be a problem.
    I noticed that no-one really utilizes all the signature space provided, so I figured to be REALLY original I would make up the longest signature that I could and probably just leave it as one big run on sentence because all that punctuation just takes up way too much space-HH.

Photography-Photoshop Nut!

Feb 2007
    Visalia Ca -Central Valley AKA The CROTCH of California!
    GARRET ACE 250

Re: dug me some bottles...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.... or was buried for a reason????

Quote Originally Posted by gold fish
    DO NOT just dump 'em, it's EXTREMELY dangerous. some of the chems you listed are VERY VERY volatile if mixed, even explosive. If you neutralize them, that does not always make them safe, and probably will not make them mixable(even if poured out). The other problem in self-disposal is that many of those chemicals are very dangerous environmentally, and it would be a very large federal felony to dump them.

On to the next issue. with what you typed in your description, if this site is monitored at all, other "people" now know what you are in possession of. Several of those chemicals are illegal to possess without a proper federal permit, so if they are aware that you have them and you don't turn them in you could get in BIG trouble. Possession of potential explosive-making ingredients is a violation of the "patriot" act.

In the good news, if you contact the fire department/haz-mat, you should be able to get the bottles back. I would contact a local historical society to make sure you have some kind of protection for a historical find. I don't think any FD in the world wants to go up against those history fanatics when it comes to destroying a historical find.

It all comes down to the fact that you really do need to contact someone for proper disposal, just make sure you cover your bases and it shouldn't be a problem.

My point to the "T"..... I honestly hope you do contact the correct folks on this issues and do not end up having them contact you.... and I hope you can keep your finds as well..

.1-X45
    .5-X3
    .10-X4
    .25-X14
    .50-0
    1.00-0
    1XWEATIE

us
    Sep 2006
    Washington and Oregon
    Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
    1 times

GREAT BOTTLES!!! Not to mentioin a very deadly combination. I don't think HAZMAT should even be JUST an "option". I think it should simple be the ONLY OPTION! They can dispose of the chemicals safely and I am pretty sure they would reward you for finding such hazardous material and getting them out of the ground. Talk about an Eco hazard. WOWZA!
    ~Nash~
    Whatever it is, it is valuable. If nothing else for the lesson learned or simply the experience of having been there.

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    23 times
    Banner Finds (1)

No advise... just sweet digs!! Hopefully you can get them displayed without an bio-hazard team tearing your house apart! LMAO....

Either way... AWESOME!!!!! I'd be happy with just the stoppers!!!!!!!

ca
    Digging History

Sep 2006
    3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
    NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
    3 times
    Post Colonial contact

Fantastic Bottles!!! Congrats on Finding them!!!
    Love to detect history

us
    Oct 2006
    Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
    Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
    62 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Hey, it's me again. On the lighter side of it all, you have found some really nice bottles. I would be very happy to add some of them to my collection. Have a good one, DANGLANGLEY
    Disclaimer: The views or opinions of this patient are not necessarily the same as those held by the owners or staff of this facility.
    He sometimes escapes his padded cell. If this patient is contacting you against your wishes please tell him to discontinue immediately.
    Signed, Dr. Ima Quack

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    949 times

What ever you do, don't mix contents in the same container...

If you do, you may be in orbit for quite a while

Or dead
    The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

Lindenmeier sEEker

Apr 2006
    El Paso, TX
    Flippin Stick n good luck :)
    42 times
    Banner Finds (2)

hey don't jump the gun, i didn't say they all had contents. Thanks for the advice, i'm figuring it out right now.
    http://www.miniclip.com/games/motherload/en/

Oct 2006
    South Jersey
    Bounty Hunter 2200

Re: dug me some bottles...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.... or was buried for a reason?

First thing's first... I'm not recommending that you dispose of this stuff yourself.
    Personally, I think the place you dug up was more likely a textile mill than a photography studio.

con acid hydrochloric = Concentrated hydrochloric acid. Nasty stuff. To get rid of it, pour it into water. DO NOT POUR WATER INTO IT. It reacts like if you pour water into hot grease.
    hydrogen sulphide - This stuff is pretty much sewer gas, and can be fatal if inhaled. It will also explode. This is one for hazmat to take care of.
    con acid nitric = Concentrated nitric acid. Also really nasty; it burns, it's toxic. You can take care of this the same way as the hydrochloric acid.
    indigo solution - A solution of indigo and concentrated sulfuric acid. You can dilute this as well. Don't touch.
    potassium iodide - a skin irritant, but pretty safe at the same time. This is what is given to people at nuclear danger spots to prevent radiation poisoning.
    phenoiphtalein - ever seen CSI? This is the chemical they use to detect the presence of blood (first the area is swabbed, then alcohol is applied to free up the blood cells, then this chemical is dripped on, and finally, hydrogen peroxide is added. the color indicates blood). Small amounts are generally harmless.
    ferric chloride - this stuff is used to etch circuit boards. It's toxic and corrosive, very nasty stuff. Hazmat this one for sure.
    ether - I'll let you guess
    nesslers solution - a solution of potassium iodide, potassium hydroxide and mercuric iodide. Was used to detect the presence of ammonia. Hazmat.
    alcohol - duh.
    potassium ferrocyanide - A chemical used in conjunction with blue dies. See the cyanide part? Hazmat.
    silver nitrate - We used to dilute this stuff in chemistry and stain our hands black (silver naturally turns black with light, it's a reaction that's very important in photography). Of course, it was quite diluted. Even a small quantity of undiluted silver nitrate can kill you.
    ammonium sulphocyanide - an old stabilizing agent in photography. See cyanide?
    lead acetate - used in textile printing and dying. It's very toxic
    sodium carbonate - baking soda's big sister. used to stabilize the pH in photography and possibly printing.
    sodium hydroxide - better known as lye. used in textile manufacturing.
    platinic chloride - How much of this, exactly, do you have? 10 ml of the stuff runs $130. Probably because it contains platinum. It's a skin irritant, and will pretty much affect any part of your body that it touches. There may actually be some demand for this stuff.
    calcium sulphate - this is used as a dessicant. It's also used in blackboard chalk and tofu. Weird, huh?

Good luck with hazmat. Once after a flood, a container of pesticide drifted into my family's yard. We called the municipal center to find out how to dispose of it, and they sent two fire trucks and three police cruisers out.
    Water boarding is little more torturous than doing the backstroke (swimming) without a nose plug. - TreasureTales

us
    Feb 2005
    Bavaria Germany
    Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
    77 times

Re: dug me some bottles...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.... or was buried for a reason?

Great bottles! The hazardous materials have been covered, probably best to ask the fire dept. Kinda looks like your hand has been contaminated, just kidding, LOL! HH, Mike

Lindenmeier sEEker

Apr 2006
    El Paso, TX
    42 times
    Banner Finds (2)

i contacted hazmat, they will call me in a few

Charter Member
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2169 times

Who do you want to play YOU in the movie??
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Jan 2007
    S.W. MN
    Ace 250

WHatever you do, don't pour the contents into the same container for disposal. You have the makings of your own gas chamber there. Cool bottles BTW.

Lindenmeier sEEker

Apr 2006
    El Paso, TX
    42 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Topic Summary
    Posted on: Today at 11:45:34 AMPosted by: packerbacker
    Insert Quote
    Who do you want to play YOU in the movie??

i dont get it?
    ok, well they came out, i dunno why because it was like show and tell and i was the teacher...... they were checking them out in a amazment way. first they pulled up, 8 of them asked about the liquids, if they were cloudy exct..... if i was feeling ok. i took them into the yard and they were looking at them like cool. they said they cannot take them cause they have no way of disposing of them. i would have to contact a enviromental agency. they gave me some names. not what i expected. FOR EVERYONE OUT THERE, I WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN THESE TO RID THIER CONTENTS, I WILL HAVE THEM DISPOSED OF PROPERLY!!!!!!!! i apreciate everyones concerns deeply. to prove they came by i tried to snap a photo of the truck, and one of the gentlemen was very concerned for me. he gave me his buisness card and told me to contact him if the agencys wont do anything. he said i know what you are thinking and PLEASE dont keep them. so from a awesome find this has turned out to be a real pain in the BUTT!!!!!!! and for all of u out the if you ever find anything of great value ( that spanish loot) ah hem.... plese be smart and dont share with anyone no matter how much you wanna brag, cause word get around WAYYYYYY to fast
    THANKS ALL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zhaztru.jpg 
Views:	12909 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	117216  

TreasureTales

What a big bummer. You find some awesome old bottles and can't display them. Sheesh. I love the government's handling of this whole situation. Why don't THEY contact the enviro guys? Why don't THEY suggest how to counteract the ones that aren't too dangerous? So there is a HazMat team AND an Enviro Team? What a racket. Should have taken them back and reburied them ASAP. The BS and redtape makes people into criminals. Sorry about your find!!!! LOL, that's the first time I've ever said that. LOL

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors