UPDATED.dug me some bottles..YESSSSS...or was buried for a reason??cleaned pics

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Re: UPDATED!!!!dug me some bottles...YESSSSSSSSSS.... or was buried for a reason

I saw several of the same type bottles today in an antique store (empty of course) and they were going for between 65 to 100 dollars each. Good Job nice find

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Re: UPDATED!!!!dug me some bottles...YESSSSSSSSSS.... or was buried for a reason????

May I suggest you contact a privately owned chemical co. They could and possibly should ,by law, supply you with MSDS (Material safety data sheets) and may possibly have an interest in the product inside.Also you could potentially transfer the product to other containers and label them as to match the current labels.I've had dealings with the Gov. on like matters,and I'll take good ol capitalist every time.Especially if you want progress in this lifetime.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: UPDATED!!!!dug me some bottles...YESSSSSSSSSS.... or was buried for a reason????

I hope the blue one in the back middle is one you can save and clean up. I sure would like to see it close up. Very nice bottle.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX

Nitric is some seriously bad stuff..............get rid of it. It is very difficult to even buy the stuff these days, and with good reason (can't mention why). In some states, it is illegal to posses it. These sound like mining chemicals.

Paul

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)

mmmmmmmm..... money.......... ;D

C

Clam Digga

~Laughing~
I thought Silver Nitrate was good for removing foot corns or ingrown toenails!

Seems like you kinda dug up Pandora's box huh?

~Stopped Laughing~ Don't try it on your feet or body.

Nice haul of bottles. I hope you can keep at least some.

Be Wicked Careful & Good Luck

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

OMG!!1!!HOLYA$$!!WTFITB!!
You should be very careful about any and all bottles that still have stuff inside, because many chemicals when exposed to the air can either A) have a reaction to the humidiy (water) in the air and react, or B) there might be fumes in the bottle that can KILL you. A few years ago some Moroccans were arrested because they had a plan to pour Potassium Ferrocyanide into the US Embassy's water supply in Rome. Be careful with that suff, many of the chemicals you listed are known to create birth defects and cancer.

On a lighter note, definitely the nicest bottle find I've ever seen! Can't say that I'm jealous though!

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal

:o WOW :o

Those indeed are the most incredible bottles & truly amazing find I have ever ever heard of! :o Outstanding!
Knowing a bit more about the dangers of the substance inside makes my mind really ponder what the hey hiddey hey!! :o

By now you are probably already well aware of this, but poking around I came across a few things I found interesting. . hopefully you do too & maybe they will be a bit helpful as well :)

MCW = Medical College of Wisconsin? ???

or

"M C W ................Mallinckrodt Chemical Works, St. Louis, MO (1867-to date). I believe most, if not all, of the bottles found with this mark are hand-blown and date from approximately the 1880-1920 period. The actual glass factory which manufactured these bottles is unknown, but Illinois Glass Company, Alton, IL, would be a likely source. "

&

"B.& A.C.CO............Baker & Adamson Chemical Company (1881-1913). Producer of acids and other chemicals. Although not the mark of a glass factory, this may be mistaken for one. Seen on the base of chemical and acid jars and bottles, most of which probably date from the early period -- 1881 to 1900. B&A was bought by General Chemical in 1900, and in 1913 General became a division of Allied Chemical & Dye Corporation, later Allied Chemical Corp. ACC merged into Allied-Signal and that company is now part of Honeywell, Inc. "

Which I located at http://myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks3.html. . one of my favorite of favorite places to poke about for info ;D

And this may give you a bit more information on Whitall Tatum & Co:

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:-CmSiPBVmZMJ:www.blm.gov/historic_bottles/pdffiles/WTandCo

I seriously believe you have one grand find there & quite a story to go with it!
Please keep us updated!

Bogart :D

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

thanks for the info and the compliments. i actuall started looking up the makers marks and i too found that on the insulators website. im surprised i couldnt find it in "bottle makers and thier marks". i know this is not a awesome privy dig, but its darned cool to find bottles in these conditions in the harsh desert. no offense but people on the east coast have it real good with your soft soil. ;)
anyone know of anyone ever finding or have a jar or container made by Baker & Adamson Chemical Company
"B & A C co??????

i was not aware of the mcw, but didnt get that far yet, i apreciate it

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Nice bottles, but I don't know if I would have brought them home...the wrong two get mixed and..... :P

Be careful, and I hope things turn out OK for you.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
new cleaned pics of what i could keep. not the cleanest but pretty clean
;)
all except for 2 blown bottles have embossing on the front or the base ;)

Attachments

• znew.jpg
    znew.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 12,028
  • zneww.jpg
    zneww.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 11,993
  • znewww.jpg
    znewww.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 11,970
T

TreasureTales

You're still alive!!!!!?? Now that we know their contents didn't do you in - great looking bottles. LOL Nice collection, congrats. What did you do with the other ones? Or dare you say?

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
I am so glad you showed us the new pictures!
Your bottles are absolutely positively BEAUTIFUL!!! :o

I truly envy you! I am glad you got to keep some of them that had the writing on them. . how cool!!

Congrats again! ;D

Bogart :D

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Re: UPDATED.dug me some bottles..YESSSSS...or was buried for a reason??cleaned p

Personally I wouldn't have had a problem with the contents of most of those bottles. I've used many of the chemicals doing assay's in relation to prospecting and gold panning. But then, I'm in Canada and I'm not in a city. Also, I know enough to be careful and handle most of these items only under a fume hood, or to stay upwind of them when used in the outdoors. I would have loved to have found a horde of a cache like that. I'd get ahold of the suitable labratory containers and, (under proper conditions), place the contents of the old bottles into the new ones.

I'm just guessing here, but those bottles might have been part of a prospectors assay kit and as someone else suggested, they could have been burried later, perhaps when the person passed away and relatives didn't know what else to do with the stuff, so they burried it? Or maybe the owner routinely burried the chemicals when going away on a long prospecting trip to keep them safe.?

F.
P.S. If anyone in western Canada runs into a horde of chemicals like this, I'd be happy to hear from them. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, (haven't found the motherload yet), but at least I could get the bottles back to you without the chemicals.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
So how did you decide which ones you "could" keep? Did someone else decide? Or were these the ones that weren't damaged.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread