UPDATED.dug me some bottles..YESSSSS...or was buried for a reason??cleaned pics

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Hello,

Spent 32 years on the Railroad and unknown to the public if its a chemical we handled it. Have taken many classes on chemicals and you are in a dangerous position. First get them out of the house and away from anybody. Will take just one of the names listed and look It up in my HazMat book. Even though my book is dated 2000 it still has the proper hazards listed.
HYDROGEN SULPHIDE -
Health- May be fatal if inhaled or absorbed through the skin.
Fire or Explosion-Extremely Flammable
The above descriptions are taken from my 2000 Emergency Response Guidebook and this is just part of the description.

I love the bottles but tread lightly. Hope this helps
Jimmy T

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
again please read the entire post before commenting, there are NO contents, thanks for your concerns

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
I meant to ask but forgot :-[

Did you ever find out any more info on the area you found the bottles? Why such a huge lot of them were dumped?

Bogart :D

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
no bogart i havent yet, i tried a local library and belive i found a pic of the area, still not sure, there are still a few inhabitants in the area, gas stations exct.... i am going to speak with them next time im through the area. and belive me i will keep you all updated. im still saying an essayers lot. some others say tiling and photoshop, we'll see;)

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Man... great followup and awesome pics! Thanks for getting back here to this post and sharing the pics.

You did good on that find... wonderful! ;)

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Re: UPDATED.dug me some bottles..YESSSSS...or was buried for a reason??cleaned p

Hey chong2mry?

Just a thought here. I don't know if you've been back to that spot, or not, or if you plan to go back. If you do return there, I was just going to suggest that based on the high probability that the bottles and the prior contents belonged to an assayer, (assayist?), then you might want to watch for certain items, as the person likely had other items associated with doing assay's.

Like:
a bunsen burner,
balance beam scale with weights,
prospecting style pick/hammer,
maybe a copper, or brass mercury retort,
bottle of mercury, which would likely be small compared to the bottles you've found,
etc.

I posted this link for an eBook:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18751/18751-h/18751-h.htm
The eBook relates to assaying and I posted the link previously to the "Free Stuff" and "Recommended Reading" forum's recently. It contains several pictures of items used in the trade, some of which are rather old style equipment, but they still do the job. If nothing else, knowing what the equipment looks like, might help you identify a partially buried find in the field.

Good luck and continued great finds!

F.

T

TreasureTales

What process or cleaner did you ultimately use to clean them? it must have taken some elbow grease to get them so clean.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
TREASURETALES, to clean them i got a big metal bin from a restraunt 25gallon, filled with water, mixed with half a gallon bleach and the remaining contents of the bottles marked acid, and some goo gone. i then just dumped everything in there and let them soak,after about 3 min the water started turning blue then green to black, smoke started rising from the bubbles like dry ice. thats when i decided to use my latex gloves. for some reason the gloves didnt help my hands started burning with my eyes. i guess the latex had holes in them. the really wierd thing is the metal bin started getting hot to the touch ................ now im thinking to myself what yourthinking to yourself......
so this is when i say im just JOKING. seriously people, do not try mixing chemicals!!!!!!!!!! just normal soap, water, steel wool, and those little brass and wood brushes. i thought of trying using some different cleaners but was afraid there may be residue i didnt notice and cause a reaction. when i get more time when my display is ready ill put some real elbow grese into them. right now they are cleaned just for catologing and storage.FUNCTIONAL, thanks for the info on the essayers tool, if i come across this site again, yes i will try detecting the site, but like i said before its a miracle i found it, and seriously doubt i can find it again. i shoulda had my gps with me :(
p.s. i did have my md with me when i found these but was tooo pumped on recovering the glass.

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Pro
By the way, those glass stoppers are hand lapped to mate with the bottle and are not interchangeable from one to another. Hope you kept them together. ???

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
humm assaying chems---then I'd be checking the area for GOLD nuggets and viens as well.
just a thought.

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I noticed a couple of posts that talked about chemicals that may not go by their original names today. I remember that in the old Dixie Gun Works catalogues that I have, there was an appendix in the back that gave modern names for older, obsolete, or out of production chemicals. This may come in handy for identifying some of these while in the field. May not be a bad idea to make a photocopy of the list and keep it in your bottle digging field kit.

Another thing that I thought of, is if digging behind a pharmacy site, be cautious of containers that may contain ILLEGAL substances. 100 years ago, it was perfectly legal to buy over the counter cocaine, laudanum, morphine, hashish, etc. I can just picture a pharmacist from way back then disposing of a bottle of tincture of cocaine for one reason or another, and someone today finding said bottle. May be kinda tricky explaining to local law enforcement what your doing with that bottle of white powder.

GL & HH

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
ill look into that book your talking about, hm i wonder........... u think cocaine is like alcohol?????? u know, the longer it sits the better it gets;) jk, thats a very true statement, everyone be care ful, dump the contents right away, unless they r not enviromently friendly. u know, i think bottles with original contents are worth alot more tho.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
This is sure an unusual find. The bottles cleaned up real nice. Glad you did not have problems with the contents.

Hope the EPA does not stop by and start nosing around... they will probably evacuate the entire state and condemn it for 500 years. LOL Just kidding. Nice finds.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
here are some originals from that day

Attachments

• 02-20-07_1607.jpg
    02-20-07_1607.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 9,759
  • 02-20-07_1424.jpg
    02-20-07_1424.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 9,658

Jim West Pa

Aug 14, 2007
Mamont Pa.
Detector(s) used
DFX
Re: UPDATED.dug me some bottles..YESSSSS...or was buried for a reason??cleaned p

Functional said:
Hey chong2mry?

Just a thought here. I don't know if you've been back to that spot, or not, or if you plan to go back. If you do return there, I was just going to suggest that based on the high probability that the bottles and the prior contents belonged to an assayer, (assayist?), then you might want to watch for certain items, as the person likely had other items associated with doing assay's.

Like:
a bunsen burner,
balance beam scale with weights,
prospecting style pick/hammer,
maybe a copper, or brass mercury retort,
bottle of mercury, which would likely be small compared to the bottles you've found,
etc.

I posted this link for an eBook:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18751/18751-h/18751-h.htm
The eBook relates to assaying and I posted the link previously to the "Free Stuff" and "Recommended Reading" forum's recently. It contains several pictures of items used in the trade, some of which are rather old style equipment, but they still do the job. If nothing else, knowing what the equipment looks like, might help you identify a partially buried find in the field.

Good luck and continued great finds!

F.

This is exactly what i was thinkin. Chance that maybe there was complete "do it yerslelf" gold miner out there years ago.Did his minin and assayin all by himself.For some reason he buried his stuff to keep it a secret. Look for the objects that Functional suggested and jist maaaaaybe the gold mine someone was workin is there also.Makes good sense that if he found gold he did it all "in house" to keep it to himself and not cuase a "rush".
Like the fella asked above.."Who do you want to play YOU in the movie?"
WAY COOL stuff chong.Yer on yer way to that "motherlode" bud.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
its six days past the anniversary of this find, actually happened the day befor my bdaylast year :) well this year i went out the day be4 my bday and well, ill share that later on;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread