Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Picture journal of a modern cache

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2007
    central ohio
    MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
    13 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: Picture journal of a modern cache

They may be modern,but from the dates there still silver!!!!
    Super find!!!!
    Keep it up!! AND THANKS FOR SHARING THE PICS!!!
    teverly

TreasureTales

Quote Originally Posted by skierbob
    TT,
    Is that the only scenario you can think of? It took a lot more effort than granny could put forth, a whole lot more.
    Bob
    Hey, I can come up with several scenarios. But since you are keeping mum, how am I to know which would be more accurate? And you don't give grannies much credit. Be careful because NOW or AARP could get on your case.

I'm joking. Please be assured that I believe if grannie planted the stash, she should have planted it on her own land - or run the risk of losing it. I'm just having a little fun with you because you won't give us the story. Relax, I'm on your side. But poor grannie.....LOL

us
    American by Birth ~ Gun Owner by Right ~ Jesus by Choice

Jan 2007
    George West, TX
    SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

what a cool quest. Be my luck I could decode the message. I can't even follow a modern map. Thank God yahoo maps has directions wrote down. Now if I could just get them to add, turn by big tree close to the blue house go down 1 mile um 10 houses to the left. I can handle those directions.
    But That is one awesome cache you have hope you find more.
    Dawn
    MCALLEN, TX

Feb 2006
    Deep in the Ozark Mountains
    Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
    59 times

Thank's for sharing. I always thought that when and if I find a cache. I would say that I am posting this for a friend. And then share it with T-NET members. Congratulations on your success.....Steve

Jun 2006
    Southeastern PA
    Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
    77 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Thanks everybody. I just wanted to share some of the excitement I felt when I was hunting for this treasure and digging it up. I still get chills and goosebumps thinking about it.

T-girl, Don't feel bad. I couldn't figure out the person's code either. Luckally, there were place names, street names, landmarks and other clues in the message that I recognized or could look up. I couldn't figure out any X marks the spot, but I figured out the general area where the cache was buried. Then it took a lot of thorough metal detecting of the whole area to find the cache.

T-Tales, "Granny" could be male or female and I'm a member of AARP myself. The cache was buried on fairly rugged terrain. Granny would have to have been a mountain biker or climber to get to the spot, carrying a heavy load of coins and a good size shovel, then dig a 2 foot deep hole to bury the stuff, then make it back down the hill totally exhausted without falling and breaking a leg or worse. When I said it took a lot of effort, that's what I meant. It also took a lot of mental effort to make up a treasure code. Maybe not as much as the Beal Code, but still it took a lot of thought.

I can't tell you the whole story, because I don't know the whole story. I read recently about a person who buried caches of jewelry in different spots all over the world and then wrote a book about it, giving clues to where the caches were buried. I think I stumbled onto something like that, a treasure game. And there may be other places and countries, such as Canada, where the person buried stuff. (The note started off with "USA, ________, PA"). Why would the country be mentioned? I'd really like to meet the person to find out what the plan was, but I don't think I'd let on that I found any of the caches. This was just the tip of the iceberg, my friend.

W-man, I think there is a very good possibility that there is another treasure code message out there somewhere. Man, I would love to find another one. Happy hunting.
    Bob

Timber tromper-Bushwhacker-Cornstalker

Jul 2006
    Northeast KY
    2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
    3 times

Thanks tons for sharing and a big high five to ya. I know I would have been too dern excited too write anything down, but do you have any recollections of the technical stuff you could share, such as detector,coil, signal strength, VDI, depth etc.?

Thanks and CONGRATS!
    Kevin
    Have detectors will travel

Jun 2006
    Southeastern PA
    Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
    77 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

MXTswinger,

Detector used: Minelab Explorer II. Loop: the standard 10.5 inch.
    Signal strength: Loud and clear with a double bleep. Think of a high pitch sound something like "Bla-loop, Bla-loop."
    VDI: None. I use the Smartfind screen only. The target crosshairs were in the very upper right hand corner of the screen.
    Depth: It was about 10 inches down to the tops of the bottles and the bottles were right side up. The actual depth reading was only about 4 inches due to the large size of the target.
    Also, the detector was pinpointing in several different places, but I didn't need precise pinpointing anyway.
    Bob

us
    Apr 2006
    Stationed in Okinawa, Japan
    Whites Prizm II

Excellant finds!!

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    106 times
    Banner Finds (1)

But just think, if you had just stumbled onto it it wouldn't have been half the fun. M nty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

Feb 2007
    SE bucks Co. PA
    BH Lonestar/ BH Pinpointer

great find, but i don't think it was buried that long ago. those styles of gatorade and powerade plastic bottles are fairly new. can you read the flavor of the drink? if so that could be a clue, since they come out with new flavors every so often. i think that cache was buried only a few years ago, tops.
    HH
    mike

Timber tromper-Bushwhacker-Cornstalker

Jul 2006
    Northeast KY
    2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
    3 times

Thanks for the report Bob. I'll "file" that somewhere
    Have detectors will travel

TreasureTales

Skierbob, my hat is off to you. Thanks for letting me rib you a little - paid off because you gave us a few more bits of the story. LOL There are more caches associated with this one, you think? Holy Crap!

Whenever you feel comfortable, if ever, please give us more info. It's hard not to want to hear the whole story because when we aren't out finding treasure ourselves, the next best thing is reading about others who have. We sometimes live our lives vicariously!

Good luck with finding more. Wiping drool from keyboard.

au
    Mar 2007
    Queensland, Australia
    Jackeroo, BH Landstar
    6 times

Awesome cache , and great treasure hunt story.
    Thanks for sharing

Mar 2005
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Tejon
    1 times

Jeez, What a great cache! Congrats!

Thanks for showin us!
    Happy hunting!!!

Mar 2005
    Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
    28 times

WOW bob! i think i would have passed out if i had come across something like that! thanks for posting it and making us all jealous!
    GTI 2500/ACE 250

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links