Metal Detecting

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so did the plastic bottles cause some wierd signals to your machine? I found a mason jar once (filled with memorial lincolns) but the zinc or nickel lid on it had my machine making some strange noices, I just dug it outta curiosity. Awesome find tales like that are the ones that bring people to the hobby like myself.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great cache story, and many theories as to why it was there. My theory is as another poster has said, its stolen money, and someone was waiting for it to cool off. Another is that it was a survivalist. But the bottle with the clues knocks out most theories, since the person that hid the cache, would be the person returning for it, and wouldnt need clues. Very strange indeed! I agree, that the way of dating and Canadian coins seem to point to Canada. I doubt that the cache was hidden for someones children, since there is too much risk, that they would never find the cache. This will probably never be solved, but its fun to try.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's somebody letting stuff cool off. Let me explain my cache theory if anyone cares.
I think people have hidden things over the years but in sight of everyday living quarters. Why would someone take hundreds of dollars in money and hide it where anyone can find it. Construction can start overnight on someone else's land. Or like this someone stumble upon it and then your out that money. People who would hide caches are horders, not someone who's hiding for later use. If your bugging out in a emergency you won't have time to go to several locations to collect your items. Especially when a disease outbreak, or biological or chemical attack. Especially if the area is being quarantined fast and your being bused or forced hundreds of miles.

Military units operating out of bush camps for long periods. Of time will place caches but they are on a escape route that is a planned way back to safety. I'm not saying nobody has ever placed one, but some people talk like their under every tree or stump lol. But get that's the draw of treasure hunting, is that little boy inside thinking about the buried pirate booty.

That's what keeps me doing it!

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Geo Cashing is the best fit. I find them every where and all the time when I am out relic hunting and rock hounding. I play the game, leave my name and deposit an old coin. My wife likes the trinkets and picks one. They sell Geo Coins on E-Bay
I was wanting to do my own stash with old coins just for the fun of it but another stash was cleaned out and ruined. Maybe I can start it up again.
This is a fantastic hobby for the young techies with the handheld GPS trail maps. Lets promote every one into stashing there goodies out in the wilderness. I might go down to Cabella's and buy me a GPS for Christmas.
Happy hunting and the luck of the Irish be with you.

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! I'd hate to be the one who buried it, and return one day really needing it... to see it gone...
SIGH... that would hurt!!
Good for YOU, NOT for them!! LOL

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds ... Thanks for the great post!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread