Picture journal of a modern cache

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
I know a lot of the old-timers and experienced treasure hunters will say keep it quiet and loose lips sink ships, etc. I've been holding onto these pictures for a few years and haven't had the guts to post them. But I've seen a number of caches posted on these forums since I joined. So here goes. This may take several posts.

3 caps in hole
Cache of 3-2-05 002.jpg

4 caps in hole
Cache of 3-2-05 003.jpg

out of hole Cache of 3-2-05 006.jpg Cache of 3-2-05 005.jpg

going home with lucky bag
Cache of 3-2-05 007.jpg

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
At home with the cache:

Bottles full:
Cache of 3-2-05 009.jpg Cache of 3-2-05 010.jpg

Rolls out:
Cache of 3-2-05 011.jpg Cache of 3-2-05 012.jpg

Cache of 3-2-05 013.jpg Cache of 3-2-05 014.jpg

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
All the coins.

Quarters and dimes;
Cache of 3-2-05 017.jpg Cache of 3-2-05 015.jpg

Canadian 50 cent pieces;
Cache of 3-2-05 016.jpg

close ups;
Cache of 3-2-05 017.jpg Cache of 3-2-05 017.jpg

Cache of 3-2-05 018.jpg

Attachments

• Cache of 3-2-05 020.jpg
    Cache of 3-2-05 020.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 23,305

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERRRRRRRY NIIIIIIIICE!

Best,

Mike

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to hear the story behind how you found it. Please? Monty

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
It's a long story, Monty, and one you probably won't believe. Where are you located anyway? There are other people involved and I don't want to be giving away any secrets, especially to someone close-by. There might still be a cache or two out there.
Bob

T

TreasureTales

Now that's a treasure story waiting to be told, but I can understand your reluctance to do so. Wonder what the history was behind it, though. My curiosity is killing me. LOL

Very exciting to see such a great cache. Congratulations to you and the others who found it.

Hope you have a strong safe and that your business card doesn't have your street address on it. You never know who is reading this forum....and why.

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Yikes!! You found my retirement fund! ;)

Nice cache... Any idea of when it was buried?

Joe

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
$258.40 face in U.S. coins. $23.65 face in Canadian coins. I believe it was buried sometime in the last 15 years. I actually found a coded treasure note in a jar buried in another spot some 10 miles away, which led me to the area where this cache was buried. It just goes to show you that people are still burying stuff out there and there's always the chance that you'll find a cache too.
Bob

T

TreasureTales

skierbob said:
$258.40 face in U.S. coins. $23.65 face in Canadian coins. I believe it was buried sometime in the last 15 years. I actually found a coded treasure note in a jar buried in another spot some 10 miles away, which led me to the area where this cache was buried. It just goes to show you that people are still burying stuff out there and there's always the chance that you'll find a cache too.
Bob

Oh man, did you dig up grannies' rainy day stash? I'm starting to feel sick now.

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
TT,
Is that the only scenario you can think of? It took a lot more effort than granny could put forth, a whole lot more.
Bob

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
If someone took the trouble to create a "coded treasure note" - I doubt it was granny hiding her stash. If they hid one note, good chance they hid more than one...

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They may be modern,but from the dates there still silver!!!!
Super find!!!!
Keep it up!! AND THANKS FOR SHARING THE PICS!!!

T

TreasureTales

skierbob said:
TT,
Is that the only scenario you can think of? It took a lot more effort than granny could put forth, a whole lot more.
Bob

Hey, I can come up with several scenarios. But since you are keeping mum, how am I to know which would be more accurate? And you don't give grannies much credit. Be careful because NOW or AARP could get on your case.

I'm joking. Please be assured that I believe if grannie planted the stash, she should have planted it on her own land - or run the risk of losing it. I'm just having a little fun with you because you won't give us the story. Relax, I'm on your side. But poor grannie.....LOL

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what a cool quest. Be my luck I could decode the message. I can't even follow a modern map. Thank God yahoo maps has directions wrote down. Now if I could just get them to add, turn by big tree close to the blue house go down 1 mile um 10 houses to the left. I can handle those directions.
But That is one awesome cache you have hope you find more.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank's for sharing. I always thought that when and if I find a cache. I would say that I am posting this for a friend. And then share it with T-NET members. Congratulations on your success.....Steve

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Thanks everybody. I just wanted to share some of the excitement I felt when I was hunting for this treasure and digging it up. I still get chills and goosebumps thinking about it.

T-girl, Don't feel bad. I couldn't figure out the person's code either. Luckally, there were place names, street names, landmarks and other clues in the message that I recognized or could look up. I couldn't figure out any X marks the spot, but I figured out the general area where the cache was buried. Then it took a lot of thorough metal detecting of the whole area to find the cache.

T-Tales, "Granny" could be male or female and I'm a member of AARP myself. The cache was buried on fairly rugged terrain. Granny would have to have been a mountain biker or climber to get to the spot, carrying a heavy load of coins and a good size shovel, then dig a 2 foot deep hole to bury the stuff, then make it back down the hill totally exhausted without falling and breaking a leg or worse. When I said it took a lot of effort, that's what I meant. It also took a lot of mental effort to make up a treasure code. Maybe not as much as the Beal Code, but still it took a lot of thought.

I can't tell you the whole story, because I don't know the whole story. I read recently about a person who buried caches of jewelry in different spots all over the world and then wrote a book about it, giving clues to where the caches were buried. I think I stumbled onto something like that, a treasure game. And there may be other places and countries, such as Canada, where the person buried stuff. (The note started off with "USA, ________, PA"). Why would the country be mentioned? I'd really like to meet the person to find out what the plan was, but I don't think I'd let on that I found any of the caches. This was just the tip of the iceberg, my friend.

W-man, I think there is a very good possibility that there is another treasure code message out there somewhere. Man, I would love to find another one. Happy hunting.
Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread