And we had a spectacular daye on a VERY old eastern shore site!

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday morning I picked up my detecting partner and then we met up with yet another fellow detectorist for a beautiful, nearly 80 degree day here on the eastern shore. Our destination was a settlement era site we had eyed up last year but the 3' corn stubble made it impossible to detect. When we arrived, there were 3 different fields and we started out at the most obvious site with some luck....buttons and trinkets and odds and ends. Then, dying of thirst went back to the truck to get revived. The 2nd field proved completely void of activity so we moved on to the last field...which seemed doomed as well. Then my detecting partner recommended we walk up the woods line to a very small rise in the field and walk back through the woods to the truck, that way we could see if the rise once was a home site. Guess what...IT WAS! And it was virgin...and it was amazing...and the newest coin was 1720 (can one consider 1720 new?)! And we had a spectacular daye on a VERY old eastern shore site!

Shown is only a 2/3 portion of the relics and coins found- one of the hunters wasnt around for the pictures. I can count on one hand how many times weve found 6 coins dated in the 1600s on one site in one day -maybe this is a first for us. The oldest was 1664. My detecting partner got 2 Spanish 1 reale cobs and a 1696 silver sixpence! I got a 1681 1 reale cob and a 1698 halfpenny. Our other friend got a 1690s farthing and a 1690s halfpenny, it was too dark to see the dates on his before he left but they were 1600s. Also the 1720s halfpenny for a total of 7 coins.

And if you want to count the farmer dropped 1874 indian head penny our other friend found then the total coins found was 8.

And I am getting old because I am sore as heck this morning!

HH, Gary

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 8,994
  • coinsr.jpg
    coinsr.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 8,919
  • buckle.jpg
    buckle.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 8,860
  • button.jpg
    button.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 8,806
  • relics.jpg
    relics.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 8,784

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding finds.I can only dream of finding that many coins that old in a day :o
Thats a story for W&E ,Have you cleaned out, ::) better get back there soon.Did the third friend only get the indian head,man he must be bumed. :-\
HH :D

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o that is really nice,wish i could get so lucky..i found a buckle that said solid bronze on it thought it was old untill i saw yours.love the old coins looks like a good day for ya...
jamey

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one spectacular day! WTG!!!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thoseare some fantastic finds! Unbelievable on the great coins . Great day for you guys. Thanks for sharing pics and story!

Sticks907

Mar 10, 2007
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Gary, Awesome Finds! Great spot! Gives me some hope to find something really good here in Maryland. I’ll be down your way in O.C. two weeks trying my luck on the beach.
Again, Great Finds!! Congrats.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the awesome finds, what a hunt! The buckle also dates from 1600-1720. HH, Mike

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GARY! OH my GOSH!!!!!! WHAT AN AWESOME HUNT YA'LL HAD!

Many congrats on your finds!! Nana :)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eric in ks said:
Great finds. Would love a spot like that. WTG, Eric
you do ,just need to research ::)

B