Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Hard to believe it but another Double Eagle!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal
    1694 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Daggon it!! You are on the heap!!
    49r Relics likes this.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    We Build, We Fight!

Aug 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA.
    Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
    463 times
    Thanks for sharing Mark! Seeing these gold coins come out gives this life long Cali guy huge hope!!
    49r Relics likes this.
    SeabeeRon Santa Cruz,CA.

us
    E$

Aug 2013
    Tally, Florida
    Fisher F2
    358 times
    Relic Hunting, Fossiling and CRHing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    you are enfeugo this year! I guess technically the more correct term is one lucky b******.
    49r Relics likes this.
    Oldest Coin Ever: 1839-O Half-Dime!

Oldest Coin 2017:

2017 Relics/Coins:

2017 Clad: $4.45

2017 Rings:

2017 CRH: 7 90% Kennedys, 37 40% Kennedys

us
    Mark Dayton

Jan 2008
    Gold Country (California)
    Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
    601 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Don, You know me better than that

This coin came out looking pretty clean but it was very shallow, less than 1/2" and we just dug a beautiful tongue buckle there 2 nights ago, also right on top. So in the winter, he has his cows in this pasture and has for 29 years so I assume that this coin was either obverse up, or obverse down, and either way, maybe the cows moved it around, or? But it came out of the ground with very little dirt on it, but the dirt that was there was really tough to get out with the waterpik and soaking. Only after I sprayed all the dirt off, i used a very delicate and fine camel hair makeup brush to dab straight at it lightly. This caused no scratches but as you can see in these pics, the obverse had these very micro almost like stress lines instead of scratches, but the reverse looks great. You really can't see it at all with the naked eye but my camera reveals them. So I am dumbfounded by this but that's how it came out. I did lots of research on conservation of gold coins before we even thought about cleaning any of our gold coins from the big coin spill.

HH, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    Looks like the obverse has been cleaned with a Brillo pad: hopefully not cleaned at all.
    Great recovery in an event !!
    Don....
    California Relic Adventures

Smoke Detectors Save Lives
    Install One In Every Bedroom
    Check Batteries Twice A Year

Please Take A Few Minutes to test
    Your Smoke Detectors Today!

us
    Mark Dayton

Jan 2008
    Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
    601 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    A little bit of both. In the Summer, we all hunt at night, even in the parks, because it's way too hot here. However, it's getting tougher to find time to get out so when we do, we make a whole day of it. For both of these reasons, we hunt at night sometimes. But, more importantly, we mostly hunt at night at our sites that are in plain view as we don't want passerby's to see us out with detectors. The land owners actually prefer this as well. On this video, you will here a car drive by every now and then. We are in the wilderness so an occasional coyote or 2 might check us out, or in the parks at night we stay close together and in a group, but hunting at night is not for everyone . . . We also have hunted in major storms!

Quote Originally Posted by Seek Ye First View Post
    Congrats on your great find! Just curious though after watching your video, what time of day do you do your detecting? The video shows you using lights on your camera to record; do you hunt at night or early in the morning?

us
    Mark Dayton

Jan 2008
    601 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Hi Dug,

It's just a theory but here is my take on the gold nuggets. We are choosing to detect anywhere we can get permission to where there are natural quartz out croppings nearby. As recent as 20,000 years ago there was an ice age where glaciers as tall as 2 miles covered the entire state of California (actually, all the way to the equator). As you can imagine, these massive ice sheets would move across the land and by the shear force of their weight, they would crush the quartz out croppings and thereby liberate the gold within. As the sheets continued to move, they would move the nuggets (and all rocks, boulders, etc) along and away from the soure. Scientists theorize that these ice age events have happened many times in the last 1.8 million years, therefore, even after the nuggets were liberated by earlier events, the more recent events move the gold around even more. This gold is eluvial (not Aluvial) gold found near it's source material (quartz) and has never been in a stream bed, creek, river, etc. So that is why these nice nuggets are just out there waiting for us to find them. I also have another theories about gold patches in our area. We have small mammals like gophers and ground squirrels as well as owls that are constantly burrowing under the ground. When they come across a rock or pebble, they kick it out of their tunnel/burrow and they have been doing this for thousands of years. I believe that some of our smaller nuggets in the patches are shallow because the critters keep re-digging them and kicking them back to the top soil.

Anyways, all just my theories The beautiful specimens we found were all at a site where miners were digging in placer veins and broke up the quartz with tools and explosives, we are just finding the pieces that they missed because they were covered with mud, or? But they are not from a huge, commercial mining operation like the 16:1. Really common to see milky white quartz with gold in it around these parts.

Thanks for your kind words!

HH, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Dug1898 View Post
    Mark, I read back through the whole thread and see its too bad about not being able to make Banner with find (pg 10). There's too many crazy rules in this world, lol. I was wondering like everyone else how these coins came to hit the ground. Your research findings about gold coin for land and real estate transactions and then the saddle bag theory make perfect sense.

Now the gold nuggets. Do you think they also were drops or could they be original to the ground? The soil just doesn't look like the usual gravel nuggets are found in. Your newest nugget with the old and quartz is beautiful and looks like the stuff foun in the 16:1 mine. Not sure how close you are to that area as I'm a real rookie from Ny State. If I could guess I'd guess it was from a robbery of an assay office or a bank; but that just guessing'. I love this stuff man, so keep it up and keep us all entertained with your gold on gold discoveries with some more silver thrown in. Lmao Green with envy! Dug

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    6426 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I love seeing the great researchers get the pay out from all the hard work. It's proven time and time again that's what it takes to climb to the top of this hobby
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

us
    Feb 2013
    8964 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Wow! Huge congrats to you! Unless you find a vein of gold, silver or other precious metal, I don't know how you can top that! I'd like to say I know what it's like to feel bad for my hunting buddy, but unfortunately he is the one that always kicks my butt in the finds!
    If there is no truth in your words, you may as well be mute.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II, Quattro & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    5386 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Great story, thank you for sharing!

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Minelab_CTX-3030 Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    21870 times
    Bookfisher you been here long enough to know our rules...
    jeff of pa likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

When you legislate a person's rights away a piece at a time naive citizens don't notice...

The Patriot Act is anything but patriotic, denying citizens our freedoms and privacy in the lie of government security is allowing evil to win.. I will take my chances with the terrorists over tyranny...

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

us
    Feb 2005
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    CTX 3030 , Deus, GPX 5000
    1202 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    Bookfisher you been here long enough to know our rules...
    You should see the PM I received from bookfisher.

Kind of sad actually that people act that way!
    Treasure_Hunter likes this.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County ; Turn right or left off I-81
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    19019 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    TreasureNet - Real Or Fake?

3. Members are free to express such opinions to one another in private messages, but should NOT continue to do so if those messages are unwelcome.

if you have not yet.
    advise him not to continue.
    although if he sees this hopefully this will serve the same purpose.

I'm ging to add a warning to this.
    Messing up Banner Threads & Best of TreasureNet threads are
    also pushing your luck !
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Mar 17, 2015 at 07:32 AM.
    Treasure_Hunter likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links