Hunting a ghost town field

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have finally finished the 3rd video from a ghost town that Evan (Gonehunting for History) an I have been scouring. This is a town that existed about 30 years, but nothing remains of it today. This is a site that took me 12 years to be able to hunt. It took 10 years to get permission and then another 2 years to hunt it. The current farmer is a no-till guy, so that mean he goes into the field twice; once to plant and once to cut. There is ALWAYS stubble (has been corn for over 2 years) but he finally planted soybeans and the harvest took left the ground clear and open. Evan and I jumped in within a couple days.

I have left a lot of footage on the proverbial cutting room floor in my attempt to keep video length manageable. I have enough to make another of just relics and tokens, PLUS I still want to make one about the town map and GPS plotting of the finds. I referenced it in the first vid but they were already too long to add it in on the back.

Some of the scenes were in Evans videos so you may a bit of dejavu.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never know what might be lost or buried around a place like that,nice digs!

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
cool finds and videos Jason. I wont pry too much but was this an Okie ghost town or North of the state line? just curious, if you gave that much info in one of the vids I missed it. I have a property West of me that is very similar, in Lincoln County and working on permission to hunt it. It is also in farmland at an old ghost town site that isn't in any of the books ive read on ghost towns in Oklahoma.

oldsmith

Mar 13, 2014
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold, Garrett propointer, teknetics t2 se, tessoro sand shark,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great vids, cool finds, thanks for sharing.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
always enjoy both of yours vids, entertaining and great finds. a nd you lived up to your name ....again

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds and videos Jason. I wont pry too much but was this an Okie ghost town or North of the state line? just curious, if you gave that much info in one of the vids I missed it. I have a property West of me that is very similar, in Lincoln County and working on permission to hunt it. It is also in farmland at an old ghost town site that isn't in any of the books ive read on ghost towns in Oklahoma.

Yes, this is in the state of Oklahoma. I really kills me, because I would LOVE to talk about the town, all the history I have found and what I am still looking for. I can't even say the name or this site will be gone. I know there are people in my area who will go trespass and hunt my spots if they can figure out where they are.

One thing I have found is that the "books" are often wildly wrong on details!

Tips-

On permissions, the land "owner" and the farmer are very often different people. The only reason I finally got access to this place was because a friend of mine lives nearby and knows who the farmer was. I got the run around from the owner for years, always told me that he didn't care, but the person who farms it doesnt want anyone there. Once I FINALLY had the farmers name it was a matter of minutes before I had permission to hunt!

Don't give up until you have gridded and hunted every square foot! My first attempts at detecting through the stubble only resulted in a couple shotgun caps and bits of copper and aluminum trash. It really seemed like maybe there wasn't anything to find there. If I gave up I would have missed all that.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's allot of cool silver for one site in such a short amount of time

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see people post that we in the east have the best chance for good finds. Well, I believe they should watch your videos. Jason, I hope to see more videos of your finds. I am sure you are not through with the good finds yet.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like it was an incredible and fun hunt! There sure were a lot of O mint mark silver, and that 1895 o dime is a fantastic find. Thanks for sharing your joys of the hunt. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like it was an incredible and fun hunt! There sure were a lot of O mint mark silver, and that 1895 o dime is a fantastic find. Thanks for sharing your joys of the hunt. :icon_thumright:

At first I was confused by the large amount of old New Orleans mint silver I found in my area, but the Denver mint didn't begin production until 1906. Before that, N.O. was the closest mint so it makes sense these older coins would have come from there.

I have toured the NO mint and it's really cool to be in the place where these coins were created.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the tips Jason, again cool finds and videos!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure miss the opportunities Oklahoma offers. The diversity of all the abandoned homesteads that would be available. Just think that every quarter section they had to build a home to claim that quarter section. I understand that during and after the Great Dust Bowl of the 30s so many sold their land and moved west to California. As I remember there are quite a few old homesteads that you would never know they were there. Just like your ghost town, Jason.
Just north of Drummond OK., west of Enid is where I found my first find, an 1882 silver dollar. I heard a lot of accounts of how there was a lot of miss trust in the banks during those times. There has to be more silver treasure out there and sincerely hope you find a lot more Jason.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am getting my xp today, really excited and curious as to what settings you tend to hunt with, I will be using the basic one. am also curious as to the tone settings you prefer. thanks. just watched your video on getting yours for your birthday, mine is the same, we both have awesome wives... just saying

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great videos, thank you for sharing!

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the vids...you put a lot of work to share with us your finds...keep em coming! HH.

Sent from my potato.

Last edited in the future...

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jason in Enid. Great set of videos. I enjoyed them. Thanks for the effort and good luck. C9

BeaverWarrior82

Jul 29, 2015
Brandon,MS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the videos! Keep up the great work. Your videos inspire me. Im in the market for an Etrac myself.. Cant wait to see more. Thanks for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread