My True Treasure Tale - Long, but the Whole Story..... - Page 11
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: My True Treasure Tale - Long, but the Whole Story.....

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2004
    Palm Beach
    Minelab Excalibur II 1000 Minelab Excalibur-800 Cobra
    12 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: My True Treasure Tale - Long, but the Whole Story.....

Great find and good advice. Thanks for sharing. And God has blessed you for sure!

us
    May 2007
    Western Colorado
    335 times

Quote Originally Posted by SushiDog
    This is truly a great story, and I enjoyed reading it as I do all of the stories here....I apologize for missing any post that eluded to the cache being in the six figure range....this is my mistake....true or not, it is very entertaining, and I want to think this was a true experience....SushiDog
    SD,
    the original thread was many pages long before it was moved to "best of"
    Much was lost when it moved.
    "Everybody dies"
    "But not everybody lives."

us
    Dec 2009
    Idaho
    Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
    157 times

Does he or anyone have an idea of where the loot came from,who buried it etc?

us
    North Carolina

Jun 2009
    Currently Pilfered!
    17 times

Quote Originally Posted by nvradar
    Does he or anyone have an idea of where the loot came from,who buried it etc?

From how the story describes the location, the style of homestead, the era of such a home and the size of the loot found, along with the coin denominations and the style in which they were buried, I would venture to GUESS that it was a safe house for Prohibition-Era gangsters.
    Formerly Known As Cap'n Crunch

us
    Dec 2009
    Idaho
    157 times

They would deal in gold? Thats an eye opener!! Guess I always figured they would use currency.
    lastleg likes this.

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    65 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by nvradar
    They would deal in gold? Thats an eye opener!! Guess I always figured they would use currency.
    Gold was still currency until President Roosevelt had everyone turn it in in 1933. Prohibition was from 1919 to 1933. At the time no one trusted banks, the government or paper money. So it makes for a pretty good argument that moonshiners didn't want paper money they would have much preferred gold and silver.

HH Charlie

us
    Dec 2009
    Idaho
    157 times

Well it's true the story sure made my heart thump! I could feel the paranoia he described!!! As though it was mine. I would feel like a wild animal guarding a fresh kill I suppose. One day maybe I may find a Wells Fargo box.

us
    Oct 2010
    Morgantown Wv
    9 times

I Had a Very Similer Experince While Deer Hunting In The Mountains Of Wv
    I Stumbeld On a Colapsed Log Home That I Was Going To Use As Cover To Shoot a Buck While Bow Hunting
    I Fell Through The Floor And Quickly Grabed My Flashlight And Was Instaintly Floored At What Was Under The Cabin
    A German Grandfather Clock In Nearly 100 % Condition A Catche Of Gold $20 / And $5 Coins Not To Mention
    Old Military Artifacts And Gold Jewelery The Military Stuff Was Donated To A Museium And I Had a Agoniseing
    30 Day Claim Wait Because My Friend Who Helped Me Remove It All Had The Same Last Name On The Jewelery
    But Could Not Find a Relative In His Home Town Weird ?

That Was Nealry 30 Years Ago This Time Of Year
    Ive Never Found a Better Catce Yet But I Also Have Not Dug In The Site Yet
    And Im Itchin For a Spring Find With a Metal Decetor

Thanks For Shareing Your Story

us
    TEA...taxed enough already

Oct 2005
    San Diego California
    Bounty Hunter
    122 times

Congrats, Tim. It wouldn't hurt to publish a date range and condition of the coins. I think plastic wasn't around until the 40s or 50s. Are you sure the material wasn't tarpaper, layered to protect the contents. It would have deteriorated in the manner you describe. Also, I'm curious why you thought the landowner deserved ANY share. It was a nice gesture, but the owner may have inherited the property and been independently wealthy anyway. IMHO.
    Before you wrote this story, did you eat some of those mushrooms. Nice car. Hope you moved to FL AFTER the housing collapse.
    Bob

us
    Dec 2004
    Florida
    Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
    58 times

Wow, it's hard to believe after three years my story is still near the top! Well, we moved back north from Florida (I'm still retired ) Wifey and I wanted to be closer to our aging parents. About 10 months ago, I sold the last of the coins from this once in a lifetime find, they went to a coin shop in Florida, he bought them all no questions asked. Looking back, I made some foolish decisions and practically gave away thousands of dollars of coinage for literally pennies on the dollar, I wish I had it all to do over again, as the true magnitude of this incredible find will never be known, I literally sold "stacks" of coins for "X" amount of dollars, no research, no price guides, no nothing, I just saw green and took it - oh well, what's done is done.

We live and learn though, but this one particular outing definitely changed our life and our lifestyle, and to this day, we're still reaping the rewards. Retirement has been good to me, put on a few pounds . There's still "real" treasure out there.....I hope you guys have your lucky day one day, and I believe that's all it is....luck. I could have found this cache with a 100 dollar walmart special, if it's meant to be, it will be.

Good luck and God bless....Tim

us
    May 2007
    Western Colorado
    335 times

Good to see you still around Tim,
    Keep at the research ...
    Get another one, show us how it's done.

Live long my friend.
    "Everybody dies"
    "But not everybody lives."

us
    Dec 2009
    Idaho
    157 times

Hello Tim
    Just wanted to say thanks for the story it truly gave me chills! Hope you and yours are doing well. NVRADAR

us
    Dec 2004
    Florida
    Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog
    Good to see you still around Tim,
    Keep at the research ...
    Get another one, show us how it's done.

Live long my friend.
    Actually, we moved one state away from where I found this, my friend Mike (also a member of TNet) has been calling/emailing we're currently researching some prohibition era (moonshine) sites. Mike's the one I gave a handful of SLQ's and mixed silver along with the '32 10 dollar gold piece....he sold it a couple years ago. The old moonshiners never took their money to the banks, some even kept it buried close to their stills or landmarks near their water source. Even though they dressed in rags and lived in shacks, they had cash and lots of it, many were shot, wrecked, or drank their own poison, which fried their brain, and simply forgot where they hid their money.

I've been told many things about my find, an old hardware store owner, a feedstore/livestock dealer, moonshiners horde, illegal gambling stash? Hopefully, all this wintertime research will pay off this spring....I've got nothing but time Tesoro did contact me and wanted rights to reprint my story in their annual paper (sent me some coupons too) (the pm is still in my inbox) - I gave permisson, but never checked back on it or followed up. It was just pure luck IMO, but it does go to show there's still buried treasures out there - just waiting to be stumbled upon. My personal opinion, it was an illegal gambling and moonshine operation...the owner of the home was shot and took the secret with him then the house set on fire to cover up evidence....that's just my guess?
    MichiganMan, embrym and captbo like this.

us
    #BigCypressSwamp

Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    2834 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker
    Actually, we moved one state away from where I found this, my friend Mike (also a member of TNet) has been calling/emailing we're currently researching some prohibition era (moonshine) sites. Mike's the one I gave a handful of SLQ's and mixed silver along with the '32 10 dollar gold piece....he sold it a couple years ago. The old moonshiners never took their money to the banks, some even kept it buried close to their stills or landmarks near their water source. Even though they dressed in rags and lived in shacks, they had cash and lots of it, many were shot, wrecked, or drank their own poison, which fried their brain, and simply forgot where they hid their money.

I've been told many things about my find, an old hardware store owner, a feedstore/livestock dealer, moonshiners horde, illegal gambling stash? Hopefully, all this wintertime research will pay off this spring....I've got nothing but time Tesoro did contact me and wanted rights to reprint my story in their annual paper (sent me some coupons too) (the pm is still in my inbox) - I gave permisson, but never checked back on it or followed up. It was just pure luck IMO, but it does go to show there's still buried treasures out there - just waiting to be stumbled upon. My personal opinion, it was an illegal gambling and moonshine operation...the owner of the home was shot and took the secret with him then the house set on fire to cover up evidence....that's just my guess?
    Hello Tim. There were many stills in the swamps here in South Florida during prohibition. Al Capone had operations set up in this area and it may be worth a search but they cant be buried very deep here in a flooded area I would think.

Its a good idea to be close to aging parents. Mine both died this year within a 5 month period and I regret that I was not close enough to help. Take care.

us
    Jul 2008
    florida and everywhere....
    Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
    26 times

WOW!!...well at least stalker was good enough to share the story...
    EDIT;;;; i see the story has been re-worded...ABSOLUTLY UNREAL!!

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links