My True Treasure Tale - Long, but the Whole Story.....

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
once again i never get tired of this post :headbang:

Myownwings

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2010
Wernersville, PA
" It became very clear that a large log home used to sit on this very piece of property. After scraping around with a piece of stick I had found, I discovered more clues indicative of older dwellings from long, long ago. "

"This is when I noticed pieces of crumbly black plastic mixed in with the excavated soil. I turned the entrenching tool to the side and started scraping from the edge of the bricks towards me, moving the dirt off to the right. When I dug down about four to five inches, I hit thick black plastic, layed down in double sheets, it was old and crumbled, and it broke when I tried to peel or pull on it."

Fantastic, very well written story. It's always been the Black Plastic that just didn't seem to fit.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yucon Cornelius said:
NS,
Grats on an amazing find. I am still kicking myself for not dropping my work and coming out. Honestly, as much as you joke around and pull pranks, I figured I would show up to you laughing histerically.
I guess you have laughed alot since then. I guess I should change my name on here to nimrod, or somthing more colorfull.
This sailor will proudly call you Daddy. I can't thank you enough for the lil golden beauty. Hopefully I can return the favor when I find my stash.
I hate to see you move on, but now I have an excuse to head south next winter.

Good luck to you my friend, and thanks again for the gift.
Yucon

Its great to see the proof in these stories- the truth will out.

luck

rory

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story....I would just like to have the proof, and also, didn't you notice something very unusual missing here? Despite the fact that all of the pics were erased on the hard drive, etc., why didn't this fellow tell us how much the entire cache was worth? That's what I want to know....SushiDog

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
SushiDog said:
Great story....I would just like to have the proof, and also, didn't you notice something very unusual missing here? Despite the fact that all of the pics were erased on the hard drive, etc., why didn't this fellow tell us how much the entire cache was worth? That's what I want to know....SushiDog

Some things are better left secret. If I were the one that found this cache no one would have ever heard about it (especially on a public forum). I am glad he shared his story with us but I can't blame him at all for keeping some of the details out of it. If you read through all the replys though somewhere he mentions the total was somewhere around the 6 figure mark.

HH Charlie

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay....thanks so much for letting me know....I agree with you....I would never have posted such a treasure find....I guess a story is in the eye of the beholder.....thanks again....SushiDog

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myownwings said:
" It became very clear that a large log home used to sit on this very piece of property. After scraping around with a piece of stick I had found, I discovered more clues indicative of older dwellings from long, long ago. "

"This is when I noticed pieces of crumbly black plastic mixed in with the excavated soil. I turned the entrenching tool to the side and started scraping from the edge of the bricks towards me, moving the dirt off to the right. When I dug down about four to five inches, I hit thick black plastic, layed down in double sheets, it was old and crumbled, and it broke when I tried to peel or pull on it."

Fantastic, very well written story. It's always been the Black Plastic that just didn't seem to fit.
i too thought about the plastic but hey it is so well written :thumbsup:

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Night Stalker said:
My Treasure Story

[size=14pt]
The Discovery: snip

Gee whiz, you told that story so well that I felt as if I was there with you. I appreciate that. It's very nice that you would allow us to experience your story through you.

Terry

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is truly a great story, and I enjoyed reading it as I do all of the stories here....I apologize for missing any post that eluded to the cache being in the six figure range....this is my mistake....true or not, it is very entertaining, and I want to think this was a true experience....SushiDog

Syrena Hunter

Nov 30, 2004
Palm Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur-800
Cobra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and good advice. Thanks for sharing. And God has blessed you for sure!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
SushiDog said:
This is truly a great story, and I enjoyed reading it as I do all of the stories here....I apologize for missing any post that eluded to the cache being in the six figure range....this is my mistake....true or not, it is very entertaining, and I want to think this was a true experience....SushiDog

SD,
the original thread was many pages long before it was moved to "best of"
Much was lost when it moved.

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
Does he or anyone have an idea of where the loot came from,who buried it etc?

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
nvradar said:
Does he or anyone have an idea of where the loot came from,who buried it etc?

From how the story describes the location, the style of homestead, the era of such a home and the size of the loot found, along with the coin denominations and the style in which they were buried, I would venture to GUESS that it was a safe house for Prohibition-Era gangsters.

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
They would deal in gold? Thats an eye opener!! Guess I always figured they would use currency. :icon_scratch:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
nvradar said:
They would deal in gold? Thats an eye opener!! Guess I always figured they would use currency. :icon_scratch:

Gold was still currency until President Roosevelt had everyone turn it in in 1933. Prohibition was from 1919 to 1933. At the time no one trusted banks, the government or paper money. So it makes for a pretty good argument that moonshiners didn't want paper money they would have much preferred gold and silver.

HH Charlie

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Well it's true the story sure made my heart thump! I could feel the paranoia he described!!! As though it was mine. I would feel like a wild animal guarding a fresh kill I suppose. One day maybe :thumbsup: I may find a Wells Fargo box.

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv
I Had a Very Similer Experince While Deer Hunting In The Mountains Of Wv
I Stumbeld On a Colapsed Log Home That I Was Going To Use As Cover To Shoot a Buck While Bow Hunting
I Fell Through The Floor And Quickly Grabed My Flashlight And Was Instaintly Floored At What Was Under The Cabin
A German Grandfather Clock In Nearly 100 % Condition A Catche Of Gold $20 / And $5 Coins Not To Mention
Old Military Artifacts And Gold Jewelery The Military Stuff Was Donated To A Museium And I Had a Agoniseing
30 Day Claim Wait Because My Friend Who Helped Me Remove It All Had The Same Last Name On The Jewelery
But Could Not Find a Relative In His Home Town Weird ?

That Was Nealry 30 Years Ago This Time Of Year
Ive Never Found a Better Catce Yet But I Also Have Not Dug In The Site Yet
And Im Itchin For a Spring Find With a Metal Decetor

Thanks For Shareing Your Story

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, Tim. It wouldn't hurt to publish a date range and condition of the coins. I think plastic wasn't around until the 40s or 50s. Are you sure the material wasn't tarpaper, layered to protect the contents. It would have deteriorated in the manner you describe. Also, I'm curious why you thought the landowner deserved ANY share. It was a nice gesture, but the owner may have inherited the property and been independently wealthy anyway. IMHO.
Before you wrote this story, did you eat some of those mushrooms. Nice car. Hope you moved to FL AFTER the housing collapse.
Bob

OP
OP
Night Stalker

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, it's hard to believe after three years my story is still near the top! Well, we moved back north from Florida (I'm still retired :icon_thumleft:) Wifey and I wanted to be closer to our aging parents. About 10 months ago, I sold the last of the coins from this once in a lifetime find, they went to a coin shop in Florida, he bought them all no questions asked. Looking back, I made some foolish decisions and practically gave away thousands of dollars of coinage for literally pennies on the dollar, I wish I had it all to do over again, as the true magnitude of this incredible find will never be known, I literally sold "stacks" of coins for "X" amount of dollars, no research, no price guides, no nothing, I just saw green and took it - oh well, what's done is done.

We live and learn though, but this one particular outing definitely changed our life and our lifestyle, and to this day, we're still reaping the rewards. Retirement has been good to me, put on a few pounds :D. There's still "real" treasure out there.....I hope you guys have your lucky day one day, and I believe that's all it is....luck. I could have found this cache with a 100 dollar walmart special, if it's meant to be, it will be.

Good luck and God bless....Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread