My True Treasure Tale - Long, but the Whole Story.....

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
Hello Tim
Just wanted to say thanks for the story it truly gave me chills! Hope you and yours are doing well. NVRADAR

OP
OP
Night Stalker

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
Good to see you still around Tim,
Keep at the research ...
Get another one, show us how it's done.

Live long my friend.

Actually, we moved one state away from where I found this, my friend Mike (also a member of TNet) has been calling/emailing we're currently researching some prohibition era (moonshine) sites. Mike's the one I gave a handful of SLQ's and mixed silver along with the '32 10 dollar gold piece....he sold it a couple years ago. The old moonshiners never took their money to the banks, some even kept it buried close to their stills or landmarks near their water source. Even though they dressed in rags and lived in shacks, they had cash and lots of it, many were shot, wrecked, or drank their own poison, which fried their brain, and simply forgot where they hid their money.

I've been told many things about my find, an old hardware store owner, a feedstore/livestock dealer, moonshiners horde, illegal gambling stash? Hopefully, all this wintertime research will pay off this spring....I've got nothing but time :D Tesoro did contact me and wanted rights to reprint my story in their annual paper (sent me some coupons too) (the pm is still in my inbox) - I gave permisson, but never checked back on it or followed up. It was just pure luck IMO, but it does go to show there's still buried treasures out there - just waiting to be stumbled upon. My personal opinion, it was an illegal gambling and moonshine operation...the owner of the home was shot and took the secret with him then the house set on fire to cover up evidence....that's just my guess?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Night Stalker said:
Actually, we moved one state away from where I found this, my friend Mike (also a member of TNet) has been calling/emailing we're currently researching some prohibition era (moonshine) sites. Mike's the one I gave a handful of SLQ's and mixed silver along with the '32 10 dollar gold piece....he sold it a couple years ago. The old moonshiners never took their money to the banks, some even kept it buried close to their stills or landmarks near their water source. Even though they dressed in rags and lived in shacks, they had cash and lots of it, many were shot, wrecked, or drank their own poison, which fried their brain, and simply forgot where they hid their money.

I've been told many things about my find, an old hardware store owner, a feedstore/livestock dealer, moonshiners horde, illegal gambling stash? Hopefully, all this wintertime research will pay off this spring....I've got nothing but time :D Tesoro did contact me and wanted rights to reprint my story in their annual paper (sent me some coupons too) (the pm is still in my inbox) - I gave permisson, but never checked back on it or followed up. It was just pure luck IMO, but it does go to show there's still buried treasures out there - just waiting to be stumbled upon. My personal opinion, it was an illegal gambling and moonshine operation...the owner of the home was shot and took the secret with him then the house set on fire to cover up evidence....that's just my guess?
Hello Tim. There were many stills in the swamps here in South Florida during prohibition. Al Capone had operations set up in this area and it may be worth a search but they cant be buried very deep here in a flooded area I would think.

Its a good idea to be close to aging parents. Mine both died this year within a 5 month period and I regret that I was not close enough to help. :( Take care.

phifly04

Feb 13, 2011
Millsboro,De.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID/w Mods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost 4 years old,but new to me-great story and a hardy congrats!!I sense a lot of Lamour in your prose style! well done!
Dave

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Neatest story ever. You are a great story teller, you should write a book ! :)

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
WOW Great story and well written. I would wonder why you have not gone back to search for the remaining coins, especially if you have moved back from Florida. But I am sure you have a good reason. HH Gayle

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pics or it did not happen. you do not even say what "coins" you supposedly found.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shocked.gif
C
shocked.gif
o
shocked.gif
n
shocked.gif
g
shocked.gif
r
shocked.gif
a
shocked.gif
t
shocked.gif
u
shocked.gif
l
shocked.gif
a
shocked.gif
t
shocked.gif
i
shocked.gif
o
shocked.gif
n
shocked.gif
s
shocked.gif

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of us who don't know the poster of that story, what kind of "yellow discs that wars are fought over" were they? I am assuming gold coins of some sort. I suppose it's possible to delete all of the photos but why not take more photos? Were all of the gold coins sold? Why all the secrecy now after so many years have passed since the initial find. No disrespect intended. Great story, inspirational anyway.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
For those of us who don't know the poster of that story, what kind of "yellow discs that wars are fought over" were they? I am assuming gold coins of some sort. I suppose it's possible to delete all of the photos but why not take more photos? Were all of the gold coins sold? Why all the secrecy now after so many years have passed since the initial find. No disrespect intended. Great story, inspirational anyway.

Because this story was nothing more than an attempt to write the great American novel.

Last edited:

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bookfisher:
I think it should have included a wayward band of outlaws, a snake pit, a life or death struggle and then a shootout at the OK Corral. LOL:hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread