Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree642Likes

Thread: Fantastic Bayonet found at our school!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2010
    Virginia
    Whites MXT
    49 times
    Based upon the size, locking mechanism and blade style I agree that this would be a German-Dutch bayonet from the Revolutionary War. This specific type of bayonet would have been used by the Hessian troops during the war. According to the National Museum of the American Revolution, "This German-Dutch knife-blade bayonet, made to attach to an eighty-caliber musket barrel, represents the most vicious type employed during the Revolutionary era. Outlawed by all Nations except Germany. Washington ordered all captured examples stored and warned the enemy that no quarter would be granted any soldier captured with one." This is one of the more rare bayonets of the American Revolution.

The hole left undug is the relic you'll never find..

May 2015
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Really nice
    Kindle Farmers likes this.

us
    coppersmith

Oct 2013
    brunswick md
    WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
    3790 times
    Relic Hunting
    KINDLES LOOKS REV WAR TO ME, CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG FELLAS AND GALS,VANZUTPHEN

Kindle Farm School

Sep 2014
    Vermont
    246 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Wow, That would be so cool if it is from the Revolutionary War. I'll try to get some better pictures up tonight. Thanks for the comments!

us
    Feb 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Whites, MXT.
    3073 times
    Great Find ! If there had been "treasure hunting class" when I was in school , my attendance would have been perfect , my grades
    off the charts , but they wouldn't be able to graduate me !

Charter Member
    us
    Joe

Nov 2014
    VA
    Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
    5485 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I would kill for a find like that. It's in great shape. Treasure hunting class is awesome idea. Bet you have some great field trips. Welcome to the net. Look forward to seeing more post from your class. Keep us in the loop. HH. RN

Kindle Farm School

Sep 2014
    Vermont
    246 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Here is one where you can see the labeling on the side. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	1169543

us
    Jul 2012
    SE Va
    Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector), Minelab Sovereign GT (w/Minelab 550 meter),Tesoro Cortes
    1556 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Great find! You know, you have some kind of fund raiser or something, maybe there is a local metal detecting club that would like to help out and get some more detectors for the kids...heck, they may have some club members donate them! I'll bet there are some members here who have an old 1-2 laying around in the closet that are still good but haven't been used in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Kindle Farmers View Post
    The kids have a blast. We were able to buy 2 Garrett Ace 250's in the Fall. They have served us well, but now the class is so popular that we need to figure out a way to buy a few more to meet the demand.

Kindle Farm School

Sep 2014
    Vermont
    246 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBeav View Post
    Great find! You know, you have some kind of fund raiser or something, maybe there is a local metal detecting club that would like to help out and get some more detectors for the kids...heck, they may have some club members donate them! I'll bet there are some members here who have an old 1-2 laying around in the closet that are still good but haven't been used in a while!
    That's a great idea. We would certainly welcome any donations of equipment people would be willing to part with.
    Kindle Farm is a non-profit out of district placement school for boys in Newfane, Vermont. We feature experiential, hands on lessons that help those who have different learning styles and needs. Our treasure hunting class has given us the opportunity to learn more about our heritage and the history of the property on which the school is located. Our main campus utilizes one of the oldest homes in town, a farmhouse that dates from the 1750's. Right now the class has two Garret Ace 250's and one ProPointer. Treasure Hunting has been so popular each quarter that is has expanded from being offered only once per week to four times per week. The kids have been interested in all kinds of treasure hunting, from detecting to coin roll hunting and even panning for gold during hot days (Newfane is where the largest gold nugget in VT history was found after all). Kindlefarm.org

stefen
    Seen to many items turned to swiss cheese from electrolysis, but others will offer an opposite opinion.

This is a treasure that needs special care to preserve.

Cider vinegar (wine) works well, especially if you use the correct formula such as 2 cups for the bayonet and 1 cup for the preservationist the first time around. The second application is 50/50, third; 25/75, etc.
    Last edited by stefen; Jun 01, 2015 at 09:02 PM.

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    1432 times
    Great find!

Feb 2007
    1694 times
    wow i really like this post,what your doing is just wonderful.p.s. i have a whites coinmaster 6/db that works well,found a old rfd mail lock with it the other day i would like to give to them if you want it.pm me the address or post it in the thread so i can send it
    Last edited by jamey; Jun 01, 2015 at 07:40 PM.

Kindle Farm School

Sep 2014
    Vermont
    246 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey View Post
    wow i really like this post,what your doing is just wonderful.p.s. i have a whites coinmaster 6/db that works well,found a old rfd mail lock with it the other day i would like to give to them if you want it.pm me the address or post it in the thread so i can send it
    That's very generous of you, thank you! I'm sure the kids will be thrilled! PM on its way!
    Brother Al and ghp95134 like this.

us
    Stuck Behind the Iron Curtain in Occupied Soviet California..:(

Nov 2006
    In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern California
    Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. , , Garrett Pro Pointer
    2680 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Wow! That is very cool! Awesome relic!
    Hunting San Francisco Bay Area since 1985

Feb 2007
    1694 times
    got it,im going to have to find a box then mail it out,will try to do before friday of this week,and thank you for finding a really cool way to work with our youth.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links