Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key word is persistence.
How true that is...
I have found out too that being persistent pays off.
Not as good as a gold coin like you, but in many other ways.
Great find (s)
Congrats !!!! and many happy returns to that spot.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANG! :o What some finds! :o
Do keep us updated on that gold coin! 8)

MANY Congrats to you!!!

Nana :)

ps....I'll be looking for that gold coin on the pictures across the top of the page! ;)

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootstrap,
Looks like you hit the jackpot.
Wow, I could only hope for a fine day like that, and to find all those great coins in one day is awsome.
WTG!!!!!!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
WOW!! Now that's a dream find, the gold coin is spectacular and rare, congrats big time to you!! Thanks for sharing you awesome finds!

Smiles!
BDoo

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, first of all congratulations are in order. A spectacular and remarkeable find. My hats off to ya. S A L U T E

Information is taken from "Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of US and Colonial Coins". There are many California Gold Rush Issues (1849-1856), however, I'm only gonna show what's pertinent to this coin.

Some quick info I gathered from your coin: DERI is the maker's mark which is abbreviated for the maker M. DERIBERPE. Your's has 8 stars Obverse, and 2 stars Reverse. There are 4 varieties of of M. Deriberpe's 1853 One Dollar Gold Piece. I've concluded yours is: Number 7900 1853 Stars flank DERI;GOLD BG 518-524. See 2nd picture of coin.................Rich

PS: I don't have a rarity or a dollar value on your coin YET, when I come across something I'll post it.

Attachments

• 1853.jpg
    1853.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 18,403
  • 1853#2.jpg
    1853#2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 18,320
OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Thanks everyone,you guys are all just so awesome!! Having a site like this is great,I know it gives alot of other people the inspiration to keep "pluggin" away as it does me too.There are alot of spectacular things being found every day and it's nice to see them,especially on this forum.Well,I went back today and this time I brought my dad and uncle,my dad got a merc and I got an 1863 I.H.P. it's still all gunked up but appears to have very strong detail,the date and liberty on the headband both pop right out at you but pennies in this area don't usually clean up very well so we'll see...If it's any good after I clean it I'll post a pic.Still need to do more research on the gold piece,still haven't been able to find one just like it.Well,thanks for the congrats and I'm going to check out some of the links you have provided(thank you very much)H.H. to all! Bootstrap P.s. thanks rich you posted just before me and I had to go back and read it,that is some great info and is much appreciated!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find Vinn

Congrats !

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, awesome, awesome! 8) That gold is especially sweet. Wow. Bet you'll be hitting the fairgrounds again! Congrats, HH!

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of trying to say a bunch, I'm just going to say, Awesome! :o

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH!!! If I can only touch that coin. OK OK I will try to control my self. Congrats on the coins. ;D ;D ;D
Burdie

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Hey boot! Very nice finds ya got there! Ayuh! And the gold is supah!

I used to love those old fairgrounds in Maine. Made some nice finds at several of them. Even though they are hit heavy, if you take some time, you can get a few goodies.

Congrats!.............HH

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Hey, Boot

Playah here. What can I say that hasn't already been said? ANY gold coin would be the find of a lifetime, but it looks like you've taken that up a notch and found a really rare one!

Buddy, I can't tell you how happy I am for you. Score one for the good guys. You did the research (God bless those LONG Maine winters, huh?), kept the faith and it paid off. Do me one favor, though. Pleeease don't tell me it rang up as iron. My soul just couldn't take it.

This definitely belongs on the banner AND W&E T. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Speechless in California....

MP

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
bootstrap vinn said:
My first ever gold coin,It's not in the greatest condition but I'll take it.

"...but I'll take it." he says. Find of a lifetime and quote of the year! :)

Awesome find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread