OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Re: Old fairground yields big silver and tiny gold!!Two firsts. Updated!!

Thanks old dog,Steve,Dang,Baldingboy,Lil' Finder,T'Hunter and Mcsancho,I wish you all the best of luck! I've finally,I think, positively ID'd this gold coin.It appears to be an 1853 california 1 dollar gold coin,Deriburpie was the engraver,thus the DERI on the reverse.As best as I can tell it is of the BG-523 variety. BG-519,BG-522,BG-524 are all close but different and I can find no examples of BG-520 or BG-521 so it is possible it could be one of them but the BG-523 is very close if not exactly like mine.Did a little more research and found out that the total NGC and PCGS population of this variety in all grades is only thirty coins so it is quite rare.I also found out that the last one sold at advertised auction was sold in april of this year and was in MS-62 and sold for $1610.00 :o so I'm thinking mines worth 6-800 dollars in it's condition.I'm sending it to get it slabbed and graded so I'll know for sure that it is the variety I think it is.Who knows,if it comes back as a BG-520 or 521 it could be worth far more but I think it's a 523,we'll see!How's this balding boy?Arghhh, Good luck ta ye,and thanks for reading me post mates, Bootstrap

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies Marty,AU4me,Poppa and FMM,No I didn't get it graded yet but proly will at some point,there's just something about being able to touch it.I know it's better for it to have it slabbed but i'm gonna leave it raw,at least for now.HH, Bootstrap

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Vinny,

I Know exactly what you mean.

There are pieces in my collection that are special enough to just need that little bit of touch to confirm....

I have a couple of those. Just have to take em out and play with em from time to time.

And there ain't nuttin wrong with that!

Thom
OD

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the reply Allen.I'm tellin' ya man,keep the faith and be persistent, It can happen to anyone who does thier research and puts themselves in an area that's old enough to hold a gold piece.Thanks again, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Thanks for your reply Evan it is appreciated!It's been over 2 years now and I'm surprised(pleasantly)every time I get another comment,HH Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Thanks CapnDan she sure is special to me!I hope you find one for yourself as long as its not in Maine LOL! HH Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Thanks, Lil Eagle Eye, It was definitely a once in a lifetime day and I was and still am sooooo psyched!It's out being slabbed and graded right now,hopefully it doesn't come back in a bodybag,LOL.Either way it's my one and only and I love it and I'm almost in disbelief every time I look at it.You're in a great part of the country with oodles of history so keep your eyes and ears peeled and your coil to the soil and most of all be persistent and pick the old timers brains and I'm sure we'll see you in the banner as well! HH,Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Bootstrap! Congrats on the gold! Still looking for my first gold coin... :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread