Old fairground yields big silver and tiny gold!!Two firsts

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Hi everyone, today I went to an old fairground that I found last year,I wasn't convinced that it was "all done out" since I only took two mercs there last year.I was there for 3-1/2 -4 hrs. and only dug four coins but they were good ones.The black flies about carried me away but it was worth it!I was digging alot of junk and melted metal slag then I got a good hit that seemed to be right on top and I just figured it was more junk but I was running low discrimination and digging anything that gave a good clear signal so what the heck,I scraped some of the grass leaves and other debris aside and there sat an 1858 O seated liberty half,well worn but my first seated half!Dug some more junk and got another good hit and dug up an 1875 silver canadian quarter.Crossed a brook and got more trash and then a 1924 buffalo nickle.By then the bugs were getting to me so I headed toward my truck still detecting and got this tiny little signal but it was clear,Cut a plug and you couldn't imagine my joy to see a tiny 1853 1 dollar california gold piece!!! My first ever gold coin,It's not in the greatest condition but I'll take it.I knew it was only a matter of time and that if I was persistant I'd get a gold piece I just didn't think it would be today.Thanks for reading and best of luck to all of you, Bootstrap

Attachments

• MVC-605S.JPG
    MVC-605S.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 20,735
  • MVC-604S.JPG
    MVC-604S.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 20,644
  • MVC-606S.JPG
    MVC-606S.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 20,729
  • MVC-607S.JPG
    MVC-607S.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 20,716
  • MVC-608S.JPG
    MVC-608S.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 20,685

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice coins. as i was scrolling down my heart skipped a beat when i saw that gold piece. beautiful coin she is. hope you find more out there.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some awesome finds Bootstrap--Congrats

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds,

You may want to do a bit of research on the gold dollar. I do not see that type listed in my Red Book. The Red Book lists various Liberty head types with the date and value in and out of the wreaths, but the only type listed with a bead has the value only inside the bead, not both value and date being inside the bead.

As I sit here looking at the pictures in the Red Book I see your type is listed as a bead type reverse.

Here is a link to a wreath type http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/18...tegoryZ52618QQihZ011QQitemZ320110867755QQrdZ1

Keep your fingers crossed - maybe you have a unique or previously unknown type.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (Mid-Mich)

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
WOW!! Very good day! I don't think I could contain myself, waiting for the
next time to get to that spot! Keep on dirt fishin!!!

HH Slabman

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Thanks guys,I would have been quite happy with just the seated half but man that gold was just the iceing on the cake!Hey scott thanks for the info,I haven't even had a chance to research it yet,just wanted to get it posted.See guys it can happen to anyone. Bootstrap

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd be Happy with any of those Bootstrap....Sweet dig's

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice finds! I love the 1858-O half; after my grandmother died, one just like it was found with her things and I was able to have it. Same date and mint. Nobody knew where it came from, or why Grandma kept it, but I'm happy she did! That dollar piece isn't bad either!

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
I never even knew such things existed. Less stars and different head than the one in the link that Jim posted. Could be a different type. Take that beauty to a coin dealer, wouldn't let it out of your sight though. Maybe I'm paranoid but you can't be too careful.
Thanks for sharing.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow!!! Awesome digs, Congrats!!!
That's the way to dig'em... I dig a lot of different signals myself, but as you stated, I usually find junk... This definitely keeps ones hopes up. Must be a great site. I'd be sleeping there over night... ;D
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
that california gold piece is the find of a lifetime! :o :o just incredible! the other coins are stunning as well, but next to that gold piece, they will have to play second fiddle! just awesome! :o

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEEEET!

"The year of the Gold Coin" I tell ya!

CONGRATS!

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Geez, seated half and a RARE gold, how do you rate. That little yellow one needs to be on the banner.

T

TreasureTales

That California Dollar belongs to me, I lost it at the fairgrounds about 150 years ago. Please return it, I'll pay for the postage. ;D Seriously, that is a very nice little coin and probably worth quite a bit numismatically. Keep her safe and don't take the coin to the coin shop, take a nice clear photo of obverse and reverse - just to be really safe. Please let us know what you learn about it, it could be unique. (As a native Californian, I am so coveting that coin!!! sigh)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions