๐Ÿฅ‡ BANNER A Saxon Site - Day 6 - But started on 4 new fields - VERY RARE GALBA !!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru, incredible finds as usual and that Denerius is amazing. :notworthy: Sometimes (most of the time) I have a hard time wrapping my head around the things you guys pull out of the ground over there. "US old" and "England old" are apples and oranges! Usually I stare at your posts and have a hard time coming to terms with these things you guys find that are 1000's of years old, yet look incredible. It's gonna look great up top and as always, looking forward to your next post.

Thanks, but surely my next post is due a skunking.....

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congratulations on your 23rd banner find.... :occasion14:

23 banner finds...geesh, I hope you like it when I find a shotgun shell.:dontknow:

Coinsniffa

May 21, 2015
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! Big congrats on such a rare and incredible piece of history!:occasion14:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very exciting day for me as well Cru, until I took a look at your post. Lol

I'm always see something I've never seen before and learn something new every time I read your posts. Thanks bud for your contributions to this forum.

Cheers Steve

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful finds for you and your Dad as always Cru, congrats on making BANNER #23 mate! :occasion14:
I love the look of this piece, very nice my friend! :thumbsup:

Dave

Attachments

• Scroll-crop.JPG
    Scroll-crop.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 161

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
23rd banner Crusader....congrats man thats awesome...great finds!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So that's older then a mercury dime right? I believe I'll add one or two of those on my bucket list. Western North Carolina is SO rich with history I am sure there must be a few of them around my parts. Congratulations on such a wonderful coin.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can see why you would have at first though Celtic Silver, as that is what I though seeing it on the banner ( the pic. a little small) but the amount of detail on the horse, and rider is much greater, and frankly quite amazing. As I've mentioned before the workmanship on these 2000 year old coins is fantastic, imagine carving that die without any reducing machine, using just chisels, and no motororized machines to sharpen them with.

Congrats on a great find.

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very exciting!. And thanks to Cru'Dad for doing the research that creates a mental picture of what might have been going on in that area at the time.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday Land-Mag kindly took me out for a 2 hour scout of 4 new fields (never tried). Our research had 1 of the 4 fields as a possible Roman Site. We called this field the No.1 Site, as it was the first we tried & I found a No.1 Shooting position Peg. There was quite a bit of Roman Pottery but no metal finds.:icon_scratch: We moved next door & found another site covered in pottery but I only had 1 Roman Coin. Finished the 2 hours with picture 1 (1 coin, 1 button, 1 thimble).
Cru'Dad & I returned this morning & after 40 minutes crossed off another of the fields with Cru'Dads Will III love token being the only find.
We then tried the biggest field & we soon realised this was a bust. So in desperation I jumped the ditch back into the No.1 field & was going to give it one last try before we left for Lunch. I was guided to this area, because of the curving ditch, & within 40 paces I got a Roman Silver (Sept Sev). 'Great' I thought, saved the day. Cru'Dad & I then gridded this area & before you know it, another silver popped up but this time we could tell it was special.:thumbsup: Only 1 other scrappy came out before we left for lunch.
We then moved to the Saxon Site & did another 2 hours with 2 hammered! (5 hour total day)

Livery Button
Medieval Lead Button
Barrel Tap Key
1 Scrappy yesterday & 1 today
Jetton
2 Roman Iron Lock pieces + a nail
17th-18th C Leather Mount
Tudor Book Clasp
Small bit of Medieval Annular Brooch
Tudor Clothes Fastener - St John
Will III Sixpence - Love Token
Charles I Halfgroat 1634-35
Henry III Cut Farthing
Sept Sev Denarius
Very Rare (R2 rated with 15 known at time of publish) Denarius of Galba AD68, minted in Tarraco, modern day Tarragona in Spain. For travelling that far its in specimen condition.:icon_thumright: This is my best coin find this year!:headbang::occasion14:

UPDATE:
(Dads research)
Galbaโ€™s first โ€œImpโ€ coins started early Apr 68 during his joining the revolt against Nero and he came fully to power after Neroโ€™s suicide on 9 Jun 68. However, he only lasted to15 Jan 69 when he was assassinated. So his coins with IMP were only minted for 9 months (not a couple of years) with your type being the first in a non-roman style due to using a Spanish regional mint with no portraiture available. These came later when the Rome mint crafted and used his features on coins minted after his acceptance as Emperor by the Senate

OH YEAH CRU!!!!!
CONGRATZ ON THE BANNER!
Only Minted for 9 months & that time period tell me 'Very Rare' & In nice shape also.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all the comments & votes.

Detecting can still throw up those unbelievable finds when you least expect it.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Further Update:

Added to top as well. The British Museum have 2 but none yet recorded on the PAS database.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cru,

Congratulations on banner.....with the rarity factor it should be worth some serious money.

Regards + HH

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread