πŸ₯‡ BANNER A Saxon Site - Day 6 - But started on 4 new fields - VERY RARE GALBA !!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday Land-Mag kindly took me out for a 2 hour scout of 4 new fields (never tried). Our research had 1 of the 4 fields as a possible Roman Site. We called this field the No.1 Site, as it was the first we tried & I found a No.1 Shooting position Peg. There was quite a bit of Roman Pottery but no metal finds.:icon_scratch: We moved next door & found another site covered in pottery but I only had 1 Roman Coin. Finished the 2 hours with picture 1 (1 coin, 1 button, 1 thimble).
Cru'Dad & I returned this morning & after 40 minutes crossed off another of the fields with Cru'Dads Will III love token being the only find.
We then tried the biggest field & we soon realised this was a bust. So in desperation I jumped the ditch back into the No.1 field & was going to give it one last try before we left for Lunch. I was guided to this area, because of the curving ditch, & within 40 paces I got a Roman Silver (Sept Sev). 'Great' I thought, saved the day. Cru'Dad & I then gridded this area & before you know it, another silver popped up but this time we could tell it was special.:thumbsup: Only 1 other scrappy came out before we left for lunch.
We then moved to the Saxon Site & did another 2 hours with 2 hammered! (5 hour total day)

Livery Button
Medieval Lead Button
Barrel Tap Key
1 Scrappy yesterday & 1 today
Jetton
2 Roman Iron Lock pieces + a nail
17th-18th C Leather Mount
Tudor Book Clasp
Small bit of Medieval Annular Brooch
Tudor Clothes Fastener - St John
Will III Sixpence - Love Token
Charles I Halfgroat 1634-35
Henry III Cut Farthing
Sept Sev Denarius
Very Rare (R2 rated with 15 known at time of publish) Denarius of Galba AD68, minted in Tarraco, modern day Tarragona in Spain. For travelling that far its in specimen condition.:icon_thumright: This is my best coin find this year!:headbang::occasion14:

UPDATE:
(Dads research)
Galba’s first β€œImp” coins started early Apr 68 during his joining the revolt against Nero and he came fully to power after Nero’s suicide on 9 Jun 68. However, he only lasted to15 Jan 69 when he was assassinated. So his coins with IMP were only minted for 9 months (not a couple of years) with your type being the first in a non-roman style due to using a Spanish regional mint with no portraiture available. These came later when the Rome mint crafted and used his features on coins minted after his acceptance as Emperor by the Senate

FURTHER UPDATE:
British Museum response:This is a rare coin. We have 53 denarii of Galba recorded on the PAS database but none of that type. We have two similar specimens in the BM collection.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 747
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 679
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 637
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 643
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 620
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 708
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 658
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 727
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 718
Last edited:

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh....WOW!!! Very close after the death of Jesus, finding that would send chills up my spine! REALLY cool!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh....WOW!!! Very close after the death of Jesus, finding that would send chills up my spine! REALLY cool!

During the CW, he only lasted a couple of years.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
When Crusader clearly states that this is his best coin find of the year, it's sure to be BANNER #23. The condition is incredible, most of my 1964 silver dimes aren't as nice as that.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great historical finds Cru.
Always look forward to seeing what you find..
Amazing.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
What a great day for silver Cru, especially the Roman. And I don't recall seeing you dig a cut coin like the one shown above. I'm sure I may have missed some, but the point is that the practice of cutting coins seems to be much more prevalent in the colonies than in the Mother Country, although ours are "modern" pistareens and yours are medieval hammereds.

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER! Very rare and superb condition. AD68! My vote is in. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When Crusader clearly states that this is his best coin find of the year, it's sure to be BANNER #23. The condition is incredible, most of my 1964 silver dimes aren't as nice as that.

Yeap, gotta be good to beat a hammered gold:thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great historical finds Cru.
Always look forward to seeing what you find..
Amazing.

This was his earliest coin to be minted in Spain before the minting moved to Rome. From what I can tell the left facing horse seems rarer than the right facing, so on an already very rare coin, it makes a difference.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER! Very rare and superb condition. AD68! My vote is in. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I have plenty more pottery to pass to you. Amazing how little was about, the 3 coins were in a pretty small area.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great day for silver Cru, especially the Roman. And I don't recall seeing you dig a cut coin like the one shown above. I'm sure I may have missed some, but the point is that the practice of cutting coins seems to be much more prevalent in the colonies than in the Mother Country, although ours are "modern" pistareens and yours are medieval hammereds.

Had quite a few cut qrters. The XP just sucks them up.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, the Denarius is incredible! Galba in that condition....:hello2: I send a vote on the way! Very,very rare coin.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was his earliest coin to be minted in Spain before the minting moved to Rome. From what I can tell the left facing horse seems rarer than the right facing, so on an already very rare coin, it makes a difference.:thumbsup:
Then this one is Banner for sure.
Even over that side!! Congrats.
Look forward to seeing this on top!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To be fair, most were the XP Goldmaxx Power, but thats just because I used it longer & this is my first year with the Deus. But it will find plenty.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, the Denarius is incredible! Galba in that condition....:hello2: I send a vote on the way! Very,very rare coin.

Thanks, with the strange bust of HISPANIA, I was confused for a few seconds. Thought it was a big Celtic silver. Then saw the horse & read the Galba, Dad read the Hispania, so it all clicked. I think Cru'Dad said something like, 'this is going to be a rare bugger'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread