Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out yesterday for about an hour on the corn field I have been detecting for the last time until the next plowing. The corn is now a good 6” and I almost completed the detectable parts of the field. The farmer came by and plowed between the rows to kill off the weeds which were not bad, had a quick chat with him and the town Mayor also came by walking his little ankle biter dog, gave him a wave of the shovel to say hello, we see each other often here, LOL. Detecting here is very comfortable for me. Made a few finds and a very interesting ring. A utensil handle hallmarked “REIN ALUM”=”PURE ALUMINUM” at least it is pure aluminum and the remnants of a lead horse.
31May07relics.jpg

Found this ring that looks to be from the Bronze Age or around 3000+ years old. Metal seems to be bronze, very heavy and it has a beautiful grey/black patina. It is 16mm long, this side shows some wear and the ring looks to have molded itself to a finger after wearing it for a very long time.
31May07ringS2.jpg

Another view of the opposite side.
31May07ringS1.jpg

An open end view, approximately 18mm wide, note the wear marks where a finger could have worn the ring down some.
31May07ringE2.jpg

The other end view. I could be totally wrong about the ring being Bronze Age, it just has that presence of Bronze Age, could be post Medieval or even a piece of farm or construction material but, I doubt it. I am open for opinions.
31May07ringE1.jpg

Got out today for an hour on the field where I found a Bronze Age bronze bar, the crop is not coming in very well here and there are a lot of bare spots. Found a poor condition 1790 One Kreuzer copper coin. Obverse.
31May071790O.jpg

Reverse of the 1790, in the middle it reads “EIN KREUZER 1790” with a wreath around the rim. Also found a very old musket ball not pictured.
31May071790R.jpg

Thought I would share this bit of German culture. This is called a Hollunder flower, an edible flower. It is dipped into a batter and fried, then sprinkled with a powdered sugar. Very tasty, I would not eat them the first few times it was offered to me. They also make tea with the blooms. HH, Mike
31May07hollunder.jpg

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
Re: Bronze Age ring??? And a copper 1790...

I must ask you - when you refer to "corn," are you referring to what is actually barley, or barleycorn, versus the cultivated form of maize that we Americans know as corn? I believe that American maize (corn, as we know it) is not cultivated in Europe, and that what you (and the English) call corn is, in reality, barley. Got that? Please clarify! Thanks.

alexisntx

May 12, 2007

Corn....

Attachments

• corn.jpg
    corn.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 4,494

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Nice finds

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice finds Mike.

Man that ring is old. Love that old copper to.

HH Jer

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other

HARD TO SAY ABOUT THE RING, COULD BE A RING FROM A STANDARD OR A ORNAMENTED RING FROM SOME SORT OF WOODEN SHAFT ? BY THE WEAR MARK ON ONE SIDE, I DONT THINK IT WAS ON A FINGER.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

I'll repeat my comment from earlier in "What's It"

I think that bronze ring is my new favorite find that I have seen on TNet in the past few weeks. Spectacular my friend, congrats!!

Schaaaweeet!!!

Smiles!
BDoo

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b

Great ring and coin! interesting.

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks all! A more probable ID of the ring is it could have been a retaining ring for example, the butt of a handle or a cane tip so the wood or whatever could not split. Darn, not Bronze Age but still old. Silverfinder, that is corn as in feed corn for cattle/pigs and like the picture Alex showed. The Germans now eat corn, sweetcorn that is, when I first came to Germany, my Mother-In-Law would not eat corn and took it as an insult when I tried to serve it. She now saves it for last like a desert and likes it very much, LOL. HH, Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bavaria Mike said:
Thanks all! A more probable ID of the ring is it could have been a retaining ring for example, the butt of a handle or a cane tip so the wood or whatever could not split. Darn, not Bronze Age but still old.

Yeap I thought the same but didn't say as I thought 16mm sounded small. Still definate Medieval.

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A friend posted these examples of the ring I found and the usage of it. It dates from the 1400s to the 1500s. HH, Mike
Knife.jpg

rings.jpg

J

jivey

Re: Bronze Age ring??? And a copper 1790...UPDATED with ring usage pictures...

nice finds. that ring is interesting. the flower looks a lot like our elderberry. I used to stay with my grandmother a lot and she had me go out and pick some of these blooms. I would then wash them and pick them off the stems for her. She would put them into pancake batter. these were very good and she told me that they were a lot like buckwheat cakes but I never had those to compare them to.

Jivey :)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Bronze Age ring??? And a copper 1790...UPDATED with ring usage pictures...

As always awesome super great finds Mike. You're so blessed to be able to hunt such sites.

Nice aluminum handle. Back when it was made it may have been worth more than gold.

Badger

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Bronze Age ring??? And a copper 1790...UPDATED with ring usage pictures...F

Fixed the pictures of examples. HH, Mike

R

RUDY2003

Great finds Mike, as always you come up with some amazing finds....
Keep safe...

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swear, one of these days I think you will dig up some pile of Roman gold. At least of all the people out there detecting I lay odds on you to pull that off. You and your machine are one!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Holy Cripe Mike ...I cant believe I missed this...Fantastic finds ....actually it needs to go in Best of Tnet!!!!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Re: Bronze Age ring??? And a copper 1790...UPDATED with ring usage pictures...F

gypsyheart said:
Holy Cripe Mike ...I cant believe I missed this...Fantastic finds ....actually it needs to go in Best of Tnet!!!!

I agree!

Wonderful ring!

Ridley

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
Great post Mike, Did not know about the edible flower. Need to try it one day.

HH

Ronin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread